Why I never spray for pests

nice!

Everything's been cut, trimmed, dried & is curing. Never had a lick of pest problems despite using absolutely no miticides or insecticides of any sort.

So, for the 3rd year running I had no pest problems with my grows (or tomatoes, peppers, herbs, kale!). Predators were very, very effective.

Almost everyone tells me that this approach can't work, but it obviously does...I think people that think it can't work haven't tried it in a healthy garden.

Next year, I'm taking a break from growing--it's one of my strategies for my avoiding pest problems.

I have to say I haven't had major problems with pests for around 4 years if you don't count borers until I went indoor and I was infested with spider mites on my 1st grow. Outdoor it's much easier to keep them in check if you know what you're doing.

I have to say I haven't had major problems with pests for around 4 years if you don't count borers until I went indoor and I was infested with spider mites on my 1st grow. Outdoor it's much easier to keep them in check if you know what you're doing.
Indoor pests have to be a headache to deal with, which is one of the reasons I've never had even a passing interest in growing indoors.

Outdoors is much easier, because the insectivores know what they're doing!

Grow on, comrade!

I'd love to continue outdoor, but it's just not possible anymore.

I'd love to continue outdoor, but it's just not possible anymore.
Heartfelt condolences!

I love weed & I've loved growing it, including many decades of doing so clandestinely. I feel fortunate to live somewhere where I can now do so legally...but if I couldn't grow outdoors, I think that would be enough to get me to do what decades of illegality couldn't do: I'd probably stop growing.

But truth is one, though paths are many.

Again, genuine condolences...grow on.

Tarantula hawk's are so cool, one of the largest wasps on the continent!
I'm very familiar w/em having grown up in the Sonoran desert...they have biosynchronous emergence, so if one's around for the hatch it's pretty amazing to see so many in the air at once...of course, that's only possible where there's enough host tarantulas.

I miss the desert, but I don't miss being witness to it's continuing decimation by the most dangerous animal on the planet...the unhairy lying ape (homo destructus)

Damned, that's the crap nightmares are made of.

The one pest I control with bio-pesticides ( Bacillus Thurgensis) are the Tobacco Budworm (Heliothis Virescens). They will decimate a crop in my area.
I introduced phermone traps and predatory wasps this year to attack the eggs, but no predator IME can mess with the budworm on it's turf (resin coated surfaces). I've seen them eat advancing lacewing larvae who during the chase, were caught on the trichomes.
I'd love to hear if anyone knows an effective predator of the worms themselves.

Exhibit A: Here's a new one from this year - pollinators beware!
20180924_114905.jpg

I miss the desert, but I don't miss being witness to it's continuing decimation by the most dangerous animal on the planet...the unhairy lying ape (homo destructus)

Interesting observation. ^^^^ lol

Not a nay-sayer here as I don't use any sprays outdoors.

In doors I use spinosad. I don't have many predator insects above the soil line in side. Mites are everywhere here and are always in play.

Went to talk last week by a master gardener on the topic of “Intensive organic gardening with minimal intervention and work”.

According to him, one of the most common mistakes that good gardeners make is using pesticides, even if organic. He termed it “not only ineffective, but counter-productive” due to impacts on garden predators that keep pests in check.

He & another master gardener did control plots for 6 summers without & with organic pest control (diatomaceous earth, etc) and they found that late season pest outbreaks and garden damage were always slightly higher in the plots treated with organic pesticides.

They were pretty sure that this was primarily due to collateral effects on pest predators (“diatomaceous earth shreds spiders every bit as effectively as it does pests”), including forage—“if predators don’t have pests for food they’re not going be there when you really need them.”

He noted that he now grows several plants every year that attract pests for the express purpose of attracting predators & keeping their populations robust.

Out doors is different than indoors growing for sure. Lots of predators and lots of prey.

Indoors there are VERY few predators. Below soil line yes for sure but not above. So mites become an issue eventually. They get dragged in on our shoes and clothing when coming indoors.

Spinosad is sprayed above the soil line so it does not have any negative impact on the micro-herd in the soil. Its a bacteria that kills on contact with insects and is light reactant so becomes neutralized with sun light. Also it's being used outdoors by just about every fruit and veggie gardener everywhere.

The soil microbes self regulate no need to mess with them other than give them good SOM to munch on.

Thanks, Stunger. I'll check out your journal when I've got a chance. Grow on!

@andIhalped,

Not all pest preventatives are PESTICIDES.

I'm taking it that folks that do not use an IPM regimine, you haven't had pests YET.

There are organic versions of most all pesticides that are bacterial and are completely harmless to hoo-mans. Look to Oregon or Washington State list of organic pest control list. The list will have what the active ingredient is and if its allowed on use with cannabis with an organic certification and potential impact on hoo-mans.

For example:

Spinosad - insect preventative
or
Southern Ag Garden friendly Fungicide - Bacillus amyloliquefaciens strain D747

These are completely harmless to the environment and you and me and are certified for use on organic produce and cannabis up to the day before harvest. (Not recommended by me up to last day).

I use those 2 above.

There is some issue with Spinosad as it can kill honey bees on contact. Cannabis is a self pollinating plant so honey bees are NOT attracted to cannabis. If this is a problem for anyone, spray in the evening when bees are not active (outdoor gardens).

These 2 products are VERY common for use on organic produce of all sorts.

A general statement to not use pest preventatives I'm thinking is short sighted.

Here's a few reasons why:

How does ingesting pests like mold and insects affect your health??

I don't know of any studies on this but I'm sure they are out there. I know that mold is not healthy for us hoo-mans. I'd rather prevent it than get it on my produce and then what?? Toss my harvest in the compost bin?

I may choose to do that but not everyone will. Food for thought.

So whats worse the pest or the cure?

IPM regimes are VERY common in the food and agriculture industry. Just need to find the products that are proven safe for human consumption.

Note: Bacterial pest preventatives will degrade very quickly once exposed to light. 1 hour is a long time.

Not using ‘cides smoking insects
Not using ‘cides smoking mold

Thanks for $0.02, though. Truth is one, paths are many.

Back
Top Bottom