Why Most Pot Sucks

To each their own opinion.
Personally I think people go to far with the whole the plant is a living aware being thing.

Some of the best results I've seen in growing have been using airoponics using a mist system. This is vastly different to anything nature could ever provide and yet using this method gives scientifically identical results in laboratory situations. Obviously harder to move to the home grow, but it's hardly the singing soothing songs to the plant method either and gives as good if not alot better results.

Really when it comes down to it the medium and delivery method are all 2nd to the plants needs. Regardless of how those needs are fulfilled.

The argument between synthetic and organic has raged on for years but if all aspects are controlled it doesn't matter how it's done.

Companies and people who use synthetic feeds aren't trying to make bad tasting bud. We also don't try to my mistreat the bud at all. Personally I don't care if I'm pulling 10 ounce or 100 it all gets trimmed by hand wearing gloves. It gets hang dryed and then cured. I don't do this because I aspire to be a "organic purist" I do this because it's the correct practices for the bud. It doesn't matter that I'm using Coco/perlite and it doesn't matter I'm using non organic fertilizer.

If you associate bad weed with non organic growers I'm afraid that's on you not on the medium.

In the same way I wouldn't buy my meat off a terrible butcher I don't buy my bud off a terrible grower and I only produce bud to sell if it would be something I'd want to buy.
and speaking of, the price of bud has plummeted because the market is flooded with mass produced, machine trimmed, non-cured, so-so bud that can still be profitable in such a flooded market because most folks don't care if it's the highest quality. I remember my last few trips to Colorado having to smoke a joint with a bottle of ice cold water in the other hand because it was SO HARSH on the throat. The nugs were so dry you didn't even need a grinder, just one pinch and the whole thing crumbled. So these commercial guys are cranking out nasty, harsh, dry bud by the tonne because people are buying it SMH

and speaking of, the price of bud has plummeted because the market is flooded with mass produced, machine trimmed, non-cured, so-so bud that can still be profitable in such a flooded market because most folks don't care if it's the highest quality. I remember my last few trips to Colorado having to smoke a joint with a bottle of ice cold water in the other hand because it was SO HARSH on the throat. The nugs were so dry you didn't even need a grinder, just one pinch and the whole thing crumbled. So these commercial guys are cranking out nasty, harsh, dry bud by the tonne because people are buying it SMH
I guess I gotta take your word on that one. But as a UK weed consumer we don't have any legal market. It's always been done by underground growers who aren't in it to produce crap. If you want repeat customers you don't produce rubbish. I guess alot of the bad bud stories here are going to be related to the new legal market. I should qualify everything I have said is related to home growers doing small to medium grows.

The UK underground growing scene has always produced cup winners and new exciting strains. From the bedrooms of UK growers to the hands of big industrial growers is a very different thing.

oh yeah, anyone is capable of bad habits/poor practices. Myself included, my last few harvests were pretty disappointing because I didn't put all the time and love into them as I should have, etc.
But the commercial guys are really cranking out some low grade stuff to sell a $100 ounce and still make a little profit.
No way that's going to be quality or grown with love, just mass produced to sell it to you before the other guy does

I had heard this was an issue. I seen a vice documentary which showed the black market in Canada has way better smoke than dispensaries. It's a shame really. They should have the system Amsterdam has. But instead went for the system McDonald's has lol.

We observed on our Europe trip that most things were done with more care than in the US. Even the McDonalds were super nice! The beer selection at the grocery store was great, the produce section was well stocked and looked fresh.
We didn't buy anything from the coffee shops in Amsterdam because it was a Saturday and everything was PACKED with young, rowdy Americans but we did have a relaxing time at one in Haarlem.
Then again, having to pay $1 to use the bathroom cuts down on homeless folks bathing in the sink

We observed on our Europe trip that most things were done with more care than in the US. Even the McDonalds were super nice! The beer selection at the grocery store was great, the produce section was well stocked and looked fresh.
We didn't buy anything from the coffee shops in Amsterdam because it was a Saturday and everything was PACKED with young, rowdy Americans but we did have a relaxing time at one in Haarlem.
Then again, having to pay $1 to use the bathroom cuts down on homeless folks bathing in the sink
The quality is waaaaay better in Haarlem too. Only a few stops on the train. I found if you stay away from the red light district the weed gets better. Abraxas is a great coffeeshop has 2 floors and it's a small walk from the centre so not as touristy. Ugh I've not been myself in years :( I miss the city so much

The quality is waaaaay better in Haarlem too. Only a few stops on the train. I found if you stay away from the red light district the weed gets better. Abraxas is a great coffeeshop has 2 floors and it's a small walk from the centre so not as touristy. Ugh I've not been myself in years :( I miss the city so much
we were staying with some friends in Haarlem that lived a short bus ride from the historic area and walking distance to the train station that takes you to Amsterdam. However, they weren't tokers and had school aged kids so we tried not to bring or use it around them. Honestly Amsterdam was pretty but super crowded whereas Haarlem was more chill and I felt more at ease to walk around or stop and take a pic without worrying about getting lost or hit by a tram or bike, etc.
I don't remember the name of the coffee shop we went to but the guy working there was super chill and hooked us up with snacks and juice boxes LOL.

we were staying with some friends in Haarlem that lived a short bus ride from the historic area and walking distance to the train station that takes you to Amsterdam. However, they weren't tokers and had school aged kids so we tried not to bring or use it around them. Honestly Amsterdam was pretty but super crowded whereas Haarlem was more chill and I felt more at ease to walk around or stop and take a pic without worrying about getting lost or hit by a tram or bike, etc.
I don't remember the name of the coffee shop we went to but the guy working there was super chill and hooked us up with snacks and juice boxes LOL.
From what I've seen and heard it's supposed to be alot quieter since covid. American tourists are alot less now too with legal weed being in most states. It's all about timing. I've never gone at weekends I go Monday to Friday. It costs basically the same as everyone does weekends so you get more time for similar price and don't have to deal with the crowds. I'd like to go back for another trip next year. It's so expensive though and the weather is literally the same if not a bit worse than UK so it's hard to justify the price. Especially when Jamaica has legal weed now and definitely has the sun lol

From what I've seen and heard it's supposed to be alot quieter since covid. American tourists are alot less now too with legal weed being in most states. It's all about timing. I've never gone at weekends I go Monday to Friday. It costs basically the same as everyone does weekends so you get more time for similar price and don't have to deal with the crowds. I'd like to go back for another trip next year. It's so expensive though and the weather is literally the same if not a bit worse than UK so it's hard to justify the price. Especially when Jamaica has legal weed now and definitely has the sun lol
true true...we have warm weather and medical weed but it's still illegal to grow or use for recreation where we are.
I do have a lot of Jamaican neighbors though and we're the nerds on the block, so if something "skunky" is in the air, they never assume it's us LOL

Have a good friend who got his commercial medical grow license in CA. when medical marijuana was first legalized. He now has both the medical and commercial licenses. His pot in tested for mold, pesticides, and many other things. Bottom line is, that right now there is almost no market for smokable bud, almost all his grows go into edibles or vapes. He can buy vape cartridges and fill them for about $6ea., he gets about $18ea., they retail for about $40. Here in Northern Cali, bad bud in a dispensary is fairly uncommon (except for the real bargin strains), the clients won't stand for crappy uncured bud.

Roger that Mooney. All the tips here were exactly as I experienced them when I lived in Holland. Your ill-at-ease sensations after resettling elsewhere likewise read nominal against my data. I've got many more much important reasons to be considering a move back, but even that exemplifies your points above because I still consider them impactful although they're 7-8th on the list (Sorry number 9, you know I'll always love you, but our sparks seemed to always start fires).

Roger that Mooney. All the tips here were exactly as I experienced them when I lived in Holland. Your ill-at-ease sensations after resettling elsewhere likewise read nominal against my data. I've got many more much important reasons to be considering a move back, but even that exemplifies your points above because I still consider them impactful although they're 7-8th on the list (Sorry number 9, you know I'll always love you, but our sparks seemed to always start fires).
This.... This is just words?!?!

Apparently. Think I mustv conflated posts. From the top: Dutch weed's amazing the further you get from Amsterdam (with notable exceptions of course). 2, Living there is very groovy. 3, after legalization 'elsewhere' and one's coincidental relocation to 'elsewhere' you really appreciate that you weren't there just for the weed, but damn the weed was good. 4, its not 1 euro for the bathroom it's 25 cents. 5, I have so many reasons to go back that have nothing to do with weed, why am I always thinking about how good the weed was?

Apparently. Think I mustv conflated posts. From the top: Dutch weed's amazing the further you get from Amsterdam (with notable exceptions of course). 2, Living there is very groovy. 3, after legalization 'elsewhere' and one's coincidental relocation to 'elsewhere' you really appreciate that you weren't there just for the weed, but damn the weed was good. 4, its not 1 euro for the bathroom it's 25 cents. 5, I have so many reasons to go back that have nothing to do with weed, why am I always thinking about how good the weed was?
I don't know how long ago the 25 cent bathroom was but I can tell you that to take a piss at a McDonalds in Amsterdam cost me 1e in 2017

I wonder what the e-fine is for pissing in the street is in Amsterdam?
I dunno, but Mrs Cough has a bladder the size of a walnut so we spent a few euro coins LOL.
They do have some outdoor urinal thingies for the dudes near bars and such but no so much for the ladies who prefer not to pop a squat in the middle of a busy public area in broad daylight LOL

Sorry for the hijack. I have always thought it likely that one reason there's always been a lot of shite weed avail. is that growers screw up/ it's easier to grow crap/ it all costs money to grow and costs must be recouped. Very little choice, of course, was a biggy during the Dark Times. Today, in legal regimes a black market exists for underage customers that seems purpose-built for getting high dollar on indiv. servings of very, very bad product.

I dunno, but Mrs Cough has a bladder the size of a walnut so we spent a few euro coins LOL.
They do have some outdoor urinal thingies for the dudes near bars and such but no so much for the ladies who prefer not to pop a squat in the middle of a busy public area in broad daylight LOL
Interesting place...better than downtown LA, I assume?

Sorry for the hijack. I have always thought it likely that one reason there's always been a lot of shite weed avail. is that growers screw up/ it's easier to grow crap/ it all costs money to grow and costs must be recouped. Very little choice, of course, was a biggy during the Dark Times. Today, in legal regimes a black market exists for underage customers that seems purpose-built for getting high dollar on indiv. servings of very, very bad product.
It really depends on how the dispensaries are supplied. In Holland it was all done by smaller 4 plant grows. And people rented those grows as every person got 4 flowering plants allowed. It meant that smokers and growers where the same people. Now legalisation is a hot topic. It's massive corporations with a board of members ,non of which have ever smoked,
Are making the decisions. Weed can't be grown for profit first quality 2nd.

The reason black markets exists in Canada and USA is 2 reasons. Quality and cost.

Tax raises prices to areas people don't want to pay. Especially for shitty product that pops as you smoke it because of the chems.

In the UK we have no legal options. There's 2 kinds of growers. Massive "warehouse" grows and private smaller growers like me.

The warehouse grows are very hit and miss. They are needed to cope with demand but greed and risk means they use growth hormones like rock resonator. Which increases the chance of you getting cancer and makes the buds rock solid but in an artificial way. It's shit.

So unless USA and Canada starts allowing smaller scale growers to sell to dispensaries the quality will keep going down and black market with continue to thrive.

It really depends on how the dispensaries are supplied. In Holland it was all done by smaller 4 plant grows. And people rented those grows as every person got 4 flowering plants allowed. It meant that smokers and growers where the same people. Now legalisation is a hot topic. It's massive corporations with a board of members ,non of which have ever smoked,
Are making the decisions. Weed can't be grown for profit first quality 2nd.

The reason black markets exists in Canada and USA is 2 reasons. Quality and cost.

Tax raises prices to areas people don't want to pay. Especially for shitty product that pops as you smoke it because of the chems.

In the UK we have no legal options. There's 2 kinds of growers. Massive "warehouse" grows and private smaller growers like me.

The warehouse grows are very hit and miss. They are needed to cope with demand but greed and risk means they use growth hormones like rock resonator. Which increases the chance of you getting cancer and makes the buds rock solid but in an artificial way. It's shit.

So unless USA and Canada starts allowing smaller scale growers to sell to dispensaries the quality will keep going down and black market with continue to thrive.
Yeah, Black Market! The original intent fulfilled!

Back
Top Bottom