Why Should I Grow Using Medium Filled Containers?

The Miracle Gro test was done outdoors. My current plants will be under 12 40w/200w Daylight CFLs divided into 2 - 2'x4' spaces .... Currently only burning 1 bulb per seedling ... very satisfied w/ Daylight CFLs for all stages of a grow.
:bongrip:

Pros
more cost effective, forgiving and simple for inexperienced, smaller growers to manage.

Cons
difficult to ascertain and maintain consistent and optimum moisture, nutrient and ph levels.

Author: MisterIto

Do you mean containers that are not completely full, or do you mean containers that are filled with a "medium" like soil? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

Well I was wondering the same thing. My concern is I just registered and see threads that haven't been active for years...like this one. So I wonder where the active threads are?

Do you mean containers that are not completely full, or do you mean containers that are filled with a "medium" like soil? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

I do believe it refers to 'soil' or other solid (ish) 'medium'.
As opposed to 'hydro', would be how I interpret.

I'm still old school pot and 'soil'. As mentioned already, the potential cons
can be (are if you are careful) pros...

Getting soil temps up in black pots under a plastic tarp
hot house is unbeatable in a sort of a raised bed game.

Yes, it requires monitoring with a moisture meter. (<$10 USD)

I prefer to add perlite which while a tad pricier than vermiculite,
since I re-use the soil in different vegi garden later. Vermiculite
breaks down much more quickly, so perlite for all that hand
work mixing my own growing 'medium'.

YMMV

good tip on the perlite - I'll get some.

Since I started using a moisture meter in the soil, I'm watering less and the plants and I are enjoying it more. My opinion is that most growers, especially newbies tend to overwater, I know that I did.

Now I'm setting all the plants up with drip water from my tub / pump on a timer. I water one minute three days a week.

The top of the soil in the pot is usually dry, but the meter tells me that the soil is moist in lower half of the pot.

This seems to help prevent mites or other pests - and I have two fans blowing on the veg garden 24/7.

Is anyone currently using or has used Earthboxes for growing and what results did you get??
I’m using an earth box , put 4 in only one came up , it’s looks great w/w , Dutch passion roughly 3 weeks now also using breathable pots n/ l , grizzly. . Cheaper if you make your own earth box . Mine is 56 litres box in a box . Bottom watering , will be as soon as I get round to putting over run reservoir in but for now standard

good tip on the perlite - I'll get some.

Since I started using a moisture meter in the soil, I'm watering less and the plants and I are enjoying it more. My opinion is that most growers, especially newbies tend to overwater, I know that I did.

Now I'm setting all the plants up with drip water from my tub / pump on a timer. I water one minute three days a week.

The top of the soil in the pot is usually dry, but the meter tells me that the soil is moist in lower half of the pot.

This seems to help prevent mites or other pests - and I have two fans blowing on the veg garden 24/7.
What reading r u getting from your water meter? I’m not sure how moist soil should be , I’m not watering or feeding for 4,5,6, days and my meter is still topped out .

What reading r u getting from your water meter? I’m not sure how moist soil should be , I’m not watering or feeding for 4,5,6, days and my meter is still topped out .
Probably won't get a reply, most of those members haven't neen heard from in a while. It's a 6 year old post. (Been there, done that, got the T-shirt)

If you're using one of those 2 prong Moisture/PH meters, just know they are very inaccurate. A good one like a BueLab, will run you about $100.

Hello,

Someone may have already said this, if so I apologize.

SIP (Sub Irrigated Planter) in a 5 gallon bucket is the only way I would recommend. Click below in my signature, go to Black African Magic, you can see a direct planted pot vs SIP. Easy, easy, easy, and it produces massive plants.

EDIT: Just realized this post is from the dawn of man 🧟‍♂️

🤙🏻

Read this to determine pot size and shape for the media of your choice along with how to correctly water your plants.

Read this to determine pot size and shape for the media of your choice along with how to correctly water your plants.

linking direct to other forums can get you banned here.

Back
Top Bottom