Wildcat's Indoor CBD Therapy Grow 2016 - First Time Grower

Wildkat

Hello everyone, I will start by saying this is my first grow. I have no idea what I am doing other that what research I have done on various websites including pouring through grow journals on 420. I recently started using high CBD/ low THC strains for anxiety and over all health. I'm a DIY kinda guy so I figured, what the hell let's grow some for myself.
My setup is a 2x3x5' tall tent with a Mars hydro 300 up real high and CFLs down low since my plants just emerged from the soil.
Growing in 32oz painters cups with black gold natural and organic with 30% perlite.
My CBD therapy seeds germinated without problems and because of space restrictions, I will be growing 2 plants the first go around.
More pictures to follow
IMG_20160519_123839739.jpg

You'll be fine with only cfls for a good week. In fact if you want tight node spacing in early life it's probably better than the LEDs. Keep the CFLs close, like 2" close... (if they're reg. 23w cfls). That way you can save yourself a little electricity. Generally you start LEDs around 24" and lower as your plants show no signs of stress from it.

With all that said, welcome to the community Wildcat :) glad you came to share this experience with the world. I'll be riding shotgun I guess... Since I'm first to sub up.. Good luck and...

KiG :green_heart:cheers

Another shot of my current atmosphere. Anyone see anything that I should/could improve?

Temps are ideal! :) you could raise the humidity a tad for the seedlings and veg phase. Your ideal Rh is low of 40% to about 65%.. Low 60's for seedlings is perfect if you can keep the temps up at the same time. But they'll definitely grow in your environment, no worries there.

Those cups are translucent? And they're photoperiod plants? If so... And you plan on building a root ball in those cups, you'll want to tape them up so that light doesn't reach the roots as they form up against the sides and bottom of the cups... Other than that my friend your as good as the blackgold soil your using! :thumb:

Also, I'll be throwing in some jalapeno seeds into my tent if I'm going to have a light on anyways. That way by the time the girls are getting big, the peppers will be ready to move outside.

One word of warning about pepper plants.. They excrete oils that ants and other pest are drawn to. Early growth should be fine, but once they big enough they will attract ants for sure.

Side note: in the garden I use mint around the base to deter the ants from crawling all over the plant.

Looking for a little advise, have a small root that has broken the surface next to my seedling. What should I do? For now I covered it with a little soil. What does this indicate? Thanks for any suggestions!

Just cover it up, it's simply looking for moisture. Possibly got too dry but I doubt it. You did good, nothing else you can do.

Little update, up-potted the bigger little one to a 2 gal container with same black gold and perlite mix, testing my transplant skills on one at a time. Will be using bio-bizz nutrients so after I transplanted I gave her 1/4 strength root juice and called it a day. Now I gotta give her room and hope for the best.
IMG_20160525_124020379.jpg

i woudnt transplant them yet let them grow longer in the cups untill they have a couple nodes like this

GC_MARCH_22_.jpg

also if you can get your cfl bulb on a angle/sideways
when you have it coming stright down like that the light shines side ways not down like you want it to
but other than that looking good :thumb:

Well that could explain my slow growth...haha. I'll get the lights mounted a little differently. Thank you for your input! Other than growing hops, this is my first thing I have really given my full attention at.

no problem thats what where all here for.. and dont worry i was the same way not long ago still have alot to learn but getting the hang of everything and doing pretty good id say.. patience is the key once you get the hang of it smooth ride from there
im subbed in and i'll help out with w.e i can.. HAPPY GROWING:cool:

Update: day 10 above soil the girls are finally starting to grow more aggressively. The plant I did the early transplant on only slowed for a day and it let the smaller one catch up. They are starting to throw some 3 fingered leaves and they don't seem to have stretched much between the first true leaves and the 3 fingered set. Another pair is emerging from in the plant and I'm starting to feel more at ease about this whole thing. Gave them 1/4 strength root juice 2 days ago and they seem to be loving it. Now I'm operating the Mars only and will supplement with CFLs from the side once they really start to take off. Plan is in a few weeks to take a pair of clones off the healthiest one and continue building up my grow space with a Cfl veg area and letting my two current girls flower in a couple/few
IMG_20160529_104259947.jpg
IMG_20160529_104311190_TOP.jpg
months.

Any help appreciated, a few of my lower leaves are cupping upwards slightly and becoming a little pale. New growth looks nice, but it has me concerned. Fed .25 strength 3 days ago bio bizz schedule, for the first time. Also there are a couple brown spots (small) on lower leaves. Getting a real pH meter tonight and maybe cal-mag? Thanks ahead of time, they are really starting to grow well other than this.
IMG_20160603_123244840.jpg

Back
Top Bottom