Wildomar Planning Commission To Take Up Medical Marijuana Ordinance Tonight

The Wildomar Planning Commission will take up the issue of medical marijuana tonight at its 7 p.m. meeting at City Hall.

The commission is scheduled to decide whether it will recommend City Council either approve or vote against a drafted ordinance to allow medical marijuana dispensaries to operate in Wildomar.

In April, the Wildomar City Council passed a motion in a 4-1 vote to draft the medical marijuana ordinance. The ordinance was sent to the planning commission for review and vote. It is modeled after an ordinance adopted by the Orange County retirement city of Laguna Woods.

If the planning commission recommends that City Council approve the ordinance and council votes to pass it, the ordinance will establish Wildomar as the only Southwest Riverside County city – and the second city in Riverside County besides Palm Springs – to allow medical marijuana operations.

Under Proposition 215/Senate Bill 420, medical marijuana is legal in California with a doctor's recommendation.

This is not the first time the planning commission has discussed the medical marijuana ordinance.

In a 4-0 vote on July 21, the commission agreed to continue discussion of the resolution during tonight's meeting.

"I'm all for helping people get well and help them with their pain, but I need more time on this. I can't decide tonight," said Commissioner Gary Andre during the July 21 meeting.

Commissioner Ben Benoit also expressed concerns with the ordinance during the July 21 meeting, but none of the other commissioners commented on the issue.

Commissioner Robert Devine was absent during the July 21 vote but he is expected to attend tonight's meeting.

NewsHawk: Ganjarden: 420 MAGAZINE
Source: Southwest Riverside News Network
Author: Toni McAllister
Copyright: 2010 Southwest Riverside News Network, LLC
Website: Wildomar planning commission to take up medical marijuana ordinance tonight

Back
Top Bottom