Will 35 year old seeds sprout

Supossedly germinating seeds contain auxins, cytokinins and gibberellins needed for that moment. So many people use grounded lentils germinating seeds as rooting hormone because they contain auxins from the germination process. So perhaps they have too gibberellins that could help too old seeds.

Develop a fertilizer rich in auxin is simple. We soak a few hundred grams of lentils or hemp. The next day the water is drained and rich in auxins and saved. We put lentils or hemp seeds between wet napkins until they lentejas germinandodevelop root about three inches; then cut the roots discarding the rest.

We crush and put them in water for a day in a dark place. After this time, drain them and mix the water with which had separated the day before; so get a few liters of water rich in auxins that we can mix with several gallons more to fertilize our entire culture.

I harvested the first of my Lebanese strains here (the sativa Blue Hemp phenotype), and I do not see the need to make hash out of them. They are more on the mild side with the high CBD, but they are a cure for my migraines. I had a migraine forming this morning, and I smoked a few hits of fresh dried tops and an hour later the migraine was GONE! Poof! Very high grade medicine for me. These tops smoke just fine as they are. These are from a decade old Lebby seeds that were not frozen.

Hi. The best results I have seen about germinating very old seeds not properly stored in the freezer is from other forum. A member had many old seeds ans he experiemnted with them, opening the husk, with different gibberellins (GA-3) concentrations. But he got the highest % of sprouting simply throwing the seeds in his worm bin. With fresh worm castings, he got 67% germination rate!

Ok. Back to seed germination.
If you put the seeds in the bins right away they won’t sprout. So what I do is a full run with the bins first to get the worms to work their magic. Put your food scraps and news paper in the bins and let the worms eat all of it until you see lots of worm casting on the top of the bedding. This may take a week or months it depends on how many worms you have. By now you should see lots of castings and little to no food scraps left and there should be no bad smell. Now mix up all the castings on the top evenly, now place the seeds on top of the soil and cover lightly. Place another worm bin on top to keep the heat and moisture even. In a week or so you should see many sprouts. Another cool thing is when your seeds sprout, don’t worry about them dying right away for some reason the seedling won’t rot or die in this black gold even though there’s no light in there you will have at least a week or more of good growth before they get too lanky.

With this test I didn’t presoak the seeds I just dropped the seeds in a worm bin, lightly covered with castings/soil and put another bin on top. Five days later I saw some seeds popping tails out and by day ten there was a mass of long seed sprouts popping out everywhere! I couldn’t believe how high the germ rates were and how fast they germinated it blew the seed soak and paper towel method out of the water. I got a 67% germination rate! I then planted the seedlings in solo cups and they are growing healthy and strong now.

I don't know if I am allowed to post the link here.

You can try with only a few and see what happens.

I hope this can help to resuscitate some old sativa heirloom strain.

Greetings.

Hi! I found this thread while looking at how to geminate older seeds. I have some seeds that are at least 10 years old. I tried to geminate several previously and it was a no go. Last night this thread have me new hope! I am trying the black tea method. I also filed the seeds. All of them have sunk, yay! I'll keep y'all informed on how it goes. The seeds are all mixed up but the stains included are sour grape, blue dream and LSD. I'm hoping some pop!

I just had some Peak seeds Skunkberry pop after 15 plus years. 3 for 3 popped. 1 ended up a freak and may not make it. The other 2 are fine. I keep my seeds in the fridge most of the time but over the years these seeds have seen a little everything but moister and direct sunlight. I say never give up. I have never failed to get at least a couple of seeds to pop from any strain. To be honest I have not made much effort trying old bag seed. Land race strains don't always do well indoors

Hi! I found this thread while looking at how to geminate older seeds. I have some seeds that are at least 10 years old. I tried to geminate several previously and it was a no go. Last night this thread have me new hope! I am trying the black tea method. I also filed the seeds. All of them have sunk, yay! I'll keep y'all informed on how it goes. The seeds are all mixed up but the stains included are sour grape, blue dream and LSD. I'm hoping some pop!
After less than 24 hours in black tea, I have 2 that popped! They are under a moist paper towel right now. Hoping more pops!

Bummer Hash Hound. Late 90's are the oldest seeds I have had success with. Like many others. Years ago I tried to grow out that cool Orange smelling Mexican sativa with little success. After I learned about genetic I quit saving bag seed. I still saved those rare seeds you would find in bags of Green Bud. Of course I have no info on those packs of 2 or 3 seeds packs. Sucks because I know there is Roadkill Skunk in there some where.

Hash Hound got a question for you. I take it by your handle you like hash. What is your favorite hashy strain?

Battling the same thing myself with some old seeds myself. Having no luck at all. Think i will get some of that gibberelic acid and just keep it on hand in case I ever run across some more oldies. I dont have any more seeds to experiment with.

Im trying something risky. I took one of the seeds and trimmed the edge with a pair of fingernail clippers. I see something!! Could be a tap root. Im fairly certain that it is, now will it live? I returned the seed to water and will have a look at it tomorrow to see if anything is going to happen. The seed seems very hard, difficult to imagine it popping on its own. Maybe I have done the right thing. Wish me luck!!

Drstickey I would suggest using a fingernail file on the seed edge as opposed to actually cutting it. Similar to scuffing the whole seed with sand paper in the box but more specific. This would allow water to get in with harming the seed itself.

I use alittle kelp and super thrive Nd soak a napkin with that Nd then put the seeds in the napkin then in a baggie ever since I started doing that my germination ratio boosted up so much even on seeds I had for 4 years did 50 of them and 46 sprouted that just my technique tho !!

Hash Hound got a question for you. I take it by your handle you like hash. What is your favorite hashy strain?

sorry for the delay, I've been sick in bed over 2 weeks, this is my first day in the journals in a while.

do you mean hashy weed strain? if so I haven't tasted many I thought would resemble hash taste or hi.
The closest was probably Kannabia Aphrodita (Morrocan x Jack Herrer), blonde hashy taste and pretty stoney.
The WW strain I have is close to a hash hi, it can be devastating when grown right, she's finicky.

I have spoiled tastes since my first experiences with cannabis was smoking some of the best hash for 2.5 years while in Germany.
And for another year smoking the lb I sent home waiting for me.

I've made several sift hash that occasionally resemble the Afghans of yesteryear ;)

Thanks Hash Hound. I have a couple Hash Plant hybrids going now. Both by Dinafem. Calfornia Hash Plant, and Blueberry Hash Plant. I hope they will have plenty of that hashy it is known to have. I am going to try a new method this time hash making. After making water hash and letting it dry. I'm going to try and hand press it after it has dried well. The slight warmth you create by doing this gives helps it all stick together well and imparts a different flavor for the final outcome. This and aging it a couple months. I hope to get a good temple ball flavor. We shall see. Long time since I have seen true hash of any style where I live... Yes I am aware that temple balls are made from rubbing live plants and not from dead plants.

Wow! Just joined in order to say this is the best weed thread I have ever read! And maybe just because I have just put some 1980 Thai Stick seeds into soak and need all the help,I can get. Comin at you from the Old Country just over the pond! Hash Hound you are a certified legend dude, even if you never did get a result. The love and effort expended should have been enough! Any way I am going to try the filing plus tea soak method on my beans and see if I can turn back time to a dingy flat in Bayswater, London, 1980 and a day of stoning and laughter like it's difficult to describe.
Had my beans in a film capsule then swapped to a hollowed out baby coconut shell with polished lid. I'll post some pics as its a cool present I was given back in 1990 on the island of Ko Tao. Bottle Beach I think it was called. Anyway I'm drifting!

Back
Top Bottom