Will CBD Oil Make Me Fail A Drugs Test?

420 Warrior

We’re secretly super impressed with society and the world. I mean, really, who would have thought 20, even 10 years ago CBD (along with its gazillion benefits) would be entering a mainstream market, and so rapidly.

On shelves, in-store and even online, the amount and different variety of CBD products on offer seem to be endless, from CBD lip balms to using CBD oil to help treat Epilepsy. And the thought of buying/using CBD oil is no longer a scary, illegal one.

So now you’re using CBD oil for whatever given reason, and we know it is in fact legal to use in the UK, what happens if you need to take a drug test, especially out of the blue or for medical reasons?

We know that CBD is ‘technically’ Cannabis…but doesn’t that show up in a drug test?

Firstly, and especially in this instance, it’s important to know the difference between THC and CBD.

There’s a difference? YUP and it’s best you get to know them.

THC is the cannabinoid compound that binds directly with our receptors in our endocannabinoid system (Every single person has this system in their bodies and some of its processes include dealing with metabolism, memory, pain, sleep and appetite).

So THC is what actually gives us ‘the buzz’ when ingesting or inhaling.

CBD, on the other hand, derived from the Cannabis Hemp plant, is another cannabinoid that works specifically with our CB1 and CB2 receptors, sending signals and directly interacting with our endocannabinoid system. This aids in helping treat pain symptoms, inflammation as well as balancing serotonin levels (helping with anxiety, stress, depression, PTSD, etc.).

CBD products are legal in the UK but ONLY if it contains a THC content of below 0.2% according to UK Law.

Under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971, THC on the other hand, is still very much illegal in the UK, unless for medicinal purposes only.

So, the big question, will CBD make me fail a drug test?

Whilst drug tests do test for THC, they do not test for CBD, and there is no such thing as a CBD oil drug test, nor would pure CBD be detected. THC, on the other hand, would show up in a drug test for sure.

Also remember, if you have consumed THC with or without knowing it, it can stay in your system for up to 30 days – depending on how frequently you used said-product.

Will CBD Oil make me fail a drug test? It’s safe to say the answer is no,however…

I’ve been taking CBD oil for anxiety but I failed a drug test and tested positive for THC??? I don’t understand…

The reality of the situation is that with thousands of CBD products entering the market, you don’t actually know what the CBD (or THC) content truly is, no matter what they may have written down on the bottle.

Incorrect lab tests, misinformed labels, and products that are sold ‘via the black market’ are a real thing ladies and gentlemen, and this is where the problem begins, as it may in fact contain traces of THC.

If the CBD oil you are using carries a THC content, chances are you will fail a drug test.

So the next smoke-break you take and start to think…Hang on, I wonder, will CBD vaping cause me to fail a drug test? The answer is no, unless the CBD oil contains THC.

Let’s get to know a little bit more about our good old friend, CBD

If you can’t know the exact details of how your CBD is manufactured or important factors such as which CBD strain has been used for growing, at least get to the real ins and outs and different forms of CBD .

Did you know that CBD is made up of many different compounds, with the three most commonly referred to ones being cannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids?

So the compounds that make up a CBD plant, along with the way the CBD is extracted (taken out) from the plant, all play a key role in the end product and just how much CBD (or THC) it contains.

CBD Isolate:

This is basically CBD in its purest form (usually crystallised or in powder form) and doesn’t contain any other cannabinoids, flavonoids or terpenes so you’re basically getting 100% CBD.

Our advice? Because you’re taking pure CBD oil, do remember that this form of CBD is a lot stronger than other forms of CBD, so do take into account dosage-wise.

Best way to take CBD Isolate? Look out for CBD oils and tinctures.

Full Spectrum CBD:

This form of CBD when extracted still actually has all of the plant’s compounds, including different cannabinoids, one of them being THC (although very little of it), as well as terpenes and flavonoids.

Our advice? Full Spectrum is a good option, as often more than not it does in fact contain less than 0.2% THC, but the possibility is still always there.

Best way to take Full-Spectrum CBD? Look out for CBD oil, CBD vape oil, CBD capsules, edibles and tinctures.

Broad Spectrum CBD

This is kinda like a wonderful mix of both CBD Isolate and Full Spectrum CBD because although it does contain certain cannabinoids and terpenes, all of the THC is removed (well, at least it should be).

Our advice? Look out for either Broad Spectrum CBD or CBD Isolate for a better guarantee of no traces of THC.

Best way to take Broad Spectrum CBD? Look out for CBD Oil, Vape oil and tinctures.

It could also be useful to know the different types of drug tests

The word alone… ‘drug test’…is a pretty scary one to be honest. Get to know the different types of tests, and how they test for traces of THC (just in case your CBD product does contain it without you knowing).

Urine Test
This is an extremely popular method for testing for signs of THC. If your CBD product is manufactured using Full Spectrum CBD, it may contain small amounts of THC which stay in your system and are detectable in your urine for up to 15 days.

If you’ve been using CBD oil for a long period of time and it does contain THC, it can show up in your urine for as long as 30 days or more.

Saliva Test
Although not such a common method for testing, it does help to know that there is no limit to how much THC they can test you for in a saliva test.

The one pro is that traces of THC only stay in the saliva for around 72 hours, give or take. However, if you’re a frequent/heavy user, chances are it’ll be detectable in your saliva for much longer than that.

Breathalyzer
Good news folks, this isn’t a commonly used method for drug-testing, nor is the equipment needed to do so, so chances are next to nothing – unless the tester has a nose like a fox – but this still can’t lawfully prove anything.

Will CBD vaping cause you to fail a drug test? Again, no, as you cannot be breathalysed for this and if the CBD Vape oil contains no THC. Taking in CBD oil this way, the CBD also enters and exits the body fairly quickly.

Here’s the good news

Now that you understand the different forms of CBD, and which is best to use for avoiding any signs of THC, you’ll hopefully go further with more confidence and knowledgeable purchasing-power.

So the next time that surprise drug test does pop up, you’ll have the reassurance that you need in the CBD product you are using, knowing what levels of THC it may or may not contain.

If you’re still not sold, we suggest you switch to a CBD Isolate or Broad Spectrum CBD product – rather safe than sorry as the tired old saying goes.

CBD NEWS TODAY
27 August 2020

I would beg to differ the THC molecule breaks down -- some parts fat soluble and some parts water soluble.. Fat soluble portion of molecule is what is detected in a test even after the user quit weeks before.. and cannabinoids are a portion that is fat soluble and detected - sorry...

Just like testing positive for cocaine when all you eat is poppy seeds.. They are detecting a portion of the molecule... and cannabinoids are a portion of the molecule -- because THC -- what is C ? .. This is why some companies do not allow any use of any hemp or marijuana product -- difference cannot be told..

MotaMan

You don't test positive for cocaine use after eating poppies you may however test positive for morphine or heroin use. They are two completely different things. Also I was under the impression thc isn't water soluble.

edit: I was hoping for a good story about George. His talks about living in a simulation are especially funny to watch.

I stand corrected -- I had my narcotics confused -- that's why I like weed. But yes portions of the THC molecule are water soluble when it breaks down. Some parts flushed (water) some stay (fat)...

Thats why that joint I smoked 2 wks ago can still be detected - I'm no longer high ( molecule break down) and fat soluble portion is the part detected in drug test.. If the entire molecule never broke down we'd be buzzed consistently -- now there's a goal for you breeders out there..

MotaMan

Here's the ultimate test go for that once in a lifetime job that has a mandatory drug test -- and go ahead and take your CBD product on the chance that it won't test positive.

MotaMan

Back
Top Bottom