420 Magazine Background

Will Peru Go To Pot?

The General

Three companies interested in growing marijuana for medical use as permitted by Illinois' new state law have inquired about locating in Peru, Mayor Scott Harl said. The companies are assembling applications to the state this summer and wrote letters to Peru asking for recommendations, Harl told the City Council Monday. While he has no objections to the business, Harl does not support providing letters of recommendation, he said. "Personally, I don't think we should do that," Harl said, then adding: "I haven't had any pushback from the community." A growing operation would provide an estimated 100 jobs paying between $35,000 and $120,000 each, Harl said. The facility would use large amounts of electrical power, he said. "If somebody is going to benefit from the economic activity why shouldn't it be us?" Alderman Jim Lukosus said.

"If Bayer Aspirin wanted to move in we'd welcome them with open arms," Alderman Mike Sapienza said. "It's just another medication." Two aldermen provided humorous responses. Dave Potthoff said he would not endorse it because "I have not tested the product," to which Dave Waldorf said, "I did but I didn't inhale." The city passed an ordinance in April to comply with the state Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act. The act limits dispensaries to 60 in the state, and restricts cultivation centers to one per each state police district. District 17 includes La Salle, Bureau and Putnam counties.

Canada_Indoor.jpg

News Moderator - The General @ 420 MAGAZINE ®
Source: Newstrib.com
Author: Jeff Dankert
Website: Will Peru go to pot? - LaSalle News Tribune - LaSalle, IL

mlang52

Why in the world would the state have to go to a foreign country to supply the medical cannabis? LOL! The title is a little confusing.

Top Bottom