Will these branches grow enough before flower begins?

DexterC

Hello growers.

I have a few girls which I intend to grow under a Sea of Green style, however 2 of them I popped the seeds a few days earlier and one turned out to be a stretchy phenotype so I topped it, a few days ago, to allow some of the smallest ones to catch up and prevent it from overgrowing on me. Today it lools like so:

20210328_164336.jpg

The problem is that I wanted to flip them to flower since they are already 4 weeks from seed but I am worried that now the branches of this one won't have enough time to develop to make big buds. Considering that the others that aren't topped can go a little longer in terms of height, what do you guys think? Should I give this one another week or will it's branches develop enough to make some nice buds by the time pre-flower is ready?

That's how the others look:
20210327_165556.jpg

Quite uneven but unfortunately that's what you get when you can't get clones.

Hi DexterC.
Seeing as they're seeds and not clones, they're gonna develop at different rates,speeds and height. Best you can do is raise the slower/shorter ones on little boxes to match heights with the others until they reach max height.

Well you have plants at all different stages of growth & different pot sizes.

So a little hard to say what is going on here if you intend to go down the SOG route.

The topped plant it will take a couple of weeks to get suitable growth for branches but you have another two nodes below the cut which will sprout branches whilst in flower, certainly not text book but if you wanna flip & see what happens by all means do so.

Still lots to think about if OP is intending to do SOG.

The topped plant could act as the mother plant for the clones for the next round.

That’s a lot of plants for such a small space..... when doing a SOG it’s best to start with clones that are the same size and of the same strain that way the growth will be consistent and uniform.
This is pretty much a test run because to tell the truth I have no clue what on earth are most of the seeds. They are bag seeds I found in some buds a wile ago and I liked them (one tasted like dark chocolate) so I kept some of those seeds to see what I get from there. If they turn out to be males or they turn into hermaphrodites I will most likely toss them. But if I happen to have a nice lady out of all those I intend to reveg her and get a good run out of it in a bigger space with better lights, not even pheno hunting, I just hope I get a nice surprise perhaps. Also I don't really have the space to keep mothers around to take clones so a proper Sea Of Green was never what I had in mind. I just wanna run these quick to see what they are.
Where about the space, I am not worried if things get a little tight and the lights I use put out really low heat and are being cooled by fans. I can keep my hands on them after they been on all day and I barely feel any heat. Also it's pretty dry around here, never seen a spot of mold or mildew so really space is not a concern. I ran sativa strains in here before and believe it or not I got some good smoke
Hi DexterC.
Seeing as they're seeds and not clones, they're gonna develop at different rates,speeds and height. Best you can do is raise the slower/shorter ones on little boxes to match heights with the others until they reach max height.
I have raised the smallest ones on the far edges in those DIY pots made from 1.5L bottles because they are the furthest behind and those took a week or so only for the seed to pop. The seeds were old. I had them for a year, who knows how old they actually were or what they are... but from what Fuzzy Duck is saying seems like I got no choice but to give the topped one time to develop it's branches. Since all the rest seem to have nice and short inter-node spacing I think I can wait a bit more until they come to the same height.
Well you have plants at all different stages of growth & different pot sizes.

So a little hard to say what is going on here if you intend to go down the SOG route.

The topped plant it will take a couple of weeks to get suitable growth for branches but you have another two nodes below the cut which will sprout branches whilst in flower, certainly not text book but if you wanna flip & see what happens by all means do so.
Ok so how about she gets another week or more of veg until the smaller ones catch up in height? The rest all have nice Indica traits with short inter-node spacing so they can go more in terms of height. There is much space left in there to cover, even if they triple in height as they are now they still won't fill that with green (I estimate, not sure about this), which is pretty much what I want anyway. But since most are bag seeds I doubt that all will make it until the end. From what I've seen, 12-12 from flower doesn't give enough time to branches to develop which is not really what I want. I want the Christmas Tree shape from these (except the one I topped of course).

Back
Top Bottom