420 Magazine Background

Willow Water and top of plant clones

FeloniousPunk

Well-Known Member
Hi All,

I had to lop off the top of 3 plants on July 23rd so they would fit in my grow tent. This left me with 3 tall (15-18") clones which I put in water.

I have misted them and had them in clear garbage bags since they were cut 10 days ago. They have spent about the same time outside the bags as inside. I have changed the water every 3 days.

Yesterday (before I changed the water) the plants were starting to look droopy.

I think I may have over misted them over the last few days and they are waterlogged. The leaves are pliable, not crisp and dry. Is there a ratio of Willow Water to plain water I should be following?

This is today and 5 days ago

IMG_20190802_101414.jpg
IMG_20190728_153419.jpg


Thoughts? Suggestions?

I'd really like to save these three, although I realize that tall, top of the plant clones are a much tougher clone to root than a 4-6" clone from lower on the plant.

Thanks,

FP :peace:
 

Greenlizard

Well-Known Member
Good on you for trying to salvage the tops. Waste not, want not...
Did you use any rooting hormone in the water? That would help. 10 days in and still no signs of roots?
When you cut these did you slice the bottom of the stem about an inch up and scrape the outer layer off to reveal more of the cambium layer? This all helps get roots going.
I can't say your methods are not the best since I have never tried it that way but I would think that cutting drain holes in a solo cup, and filling it with peat would be a more common approach. Pre soaking the peat with water and a little Super Thrive helps a lot when it comes to keeping the plant healthy until the roots develop. This method would allow you to dip the stem in rooting hormone before being inserted into the peat filled cup. Understandably one of the more difficult parts of trying to salvage a clone of this size is locking in the humidity. Obviously no humidity dome is large enough but your bag idea sounds good. You could seal the bag around the solo cup with an elastic perhaps? Another thing that might help is trimming off the tips of the leaves other than the tops. This will stop the plant from putting energy into growing them further until roots form. On a clone this size I can't say it would be the best approach though. Just a thought.
Sorry I can't be of more help but this is a little outside the box to say the least.
Looking forward to seeing how you progress with this. Best of luck!
 

SweetSue

Member of the Year: 2015 & 2016 - Member of the Month: Mar 2015, Sept 2016 - Nug of the Month: Oct 2017 - Creme de la Creme Photos: Dec 2016
It was just too big Felonious. You want stem and minimal leaf to grow roots. I’ve cloned tops with no trouble, but they were just the top leaves and a few nodes of stem, stripped down.

Good try though. :5:
 

FeloniousPunk

Well-Known Member
I tried soaking those ones in a mild nutrient solution. Didn't seem to help, but what did I have to lose at this point. LoL!

FP. :peace:
It was just too big Felonious. You want stem and minimal leaf to grow roots. I’ve cloned tops with no trouble, but they were just the top leaves and a few nodes of stem, stripped down.

Good try though. :5:
I thought I'd have a go and see what happens. I guess the rooting hormones and inclination is not to be found in the main stem. Oh well.

Time to move onto getting ready for our auto grow. Going to try to get seeds from the Dark Devil.

FP :peace:
 
Top Bottom