Wind Burn or P Deficiency?

elunex

I've got a Master Kush that's in week 3 of flower, but have noticed some abnormalities in the leaves. It is showing signs of unusual leaf stress mostly on the lower leaves, but a few of the main fan leaves near the top are starting to show similar.

The plant has been positioned near a fan, and I suspect it could be wind burn, it's just unusual that there's another plant similar distance, that doesn't show the same issues. The leaves almost look 'scuffed' at first, but then turn into what you see in the attached images.

Is this likely wind burn? Or could I be looking at something a bit worse here? A potential deficiency? Phosphorous? The petiole does appear quite dark.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 20181010_122111.jpg
    20181010_122111.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 20181010_122248.jpg
    20181010_122248.jpg
    668.5 KB · Views: 191
DON"T take this as anything but an opinion from a first time grower that's seen similar. Wait for more experienced input before acting.

Is the worst damage right where most of the wind hits the plant and spread outward or is all around certain levels? You don't need a wind tunnel, just enough circulation to prevent damp environments for nasties to grow, and also to build strength to a degree. Now, the thicker the foliage, the more wind speed will be required to penetrate it to achieve the same circulation a lower speed required if there were 'breathing room' allowed through trimming. You have to apply this to your set of givens to judge if even if the speed is too high would reducing it cause other issues as a result. See why I said don't listen to the first thing you hear, especially when it comes from me?

A faster wind speed causes leaves to thrash together, removing protective waxy coatings and reducing their solar efficiency. Those leaves look a lot like what you're holding in your hand.

Again, just relating an experience. Don't act on it blindly. :peace:

DON"T take this as anything but an opinion from a first time grower that's seen similar. Wait for more experienced input before acting.

Is the worst damage right where most of the wind hits the plant and spread outward or is all around certain levels? You don't need a wind tunnel, just enough circulation to prevent damp environments for nasties to grow, and also to build strength to a degree. Now, the thicker the foliage, the more wind speed will be required to penetrate it to achieve the same circulation a lower speed required if there were 'breathing room' allowed through trimming. You have to apply this to your set of givens to judge if even if the speed is too high would reducing it cause other issues as a result. See why I said don't listen to the first thing you hear, especially when it comes from me?

A faster wind speed causes leaves to thrash together, removing protective waxy coatings and reducing their solar efficiency. Those leaves look a lot like what you're holding in your hand.

Again, just relating an experience. Don't act on it blindly. :peace:

Thanks for the comment. I think you may be right, wind burn would be my first guess. I have a fan that has 3 speed settings, it was running at the lowest speed (which is already quite quick) but suffered from bud rot, so I increased the fan speed to prevent it a bit better. But I suspect in doing so, I also created wind burn.

It could just be that the Master Kush is slightly more sensitive to it than the Double Cheese next to it. I've lowered the fan down again and will see if it continues. But your comments on the friction causing removal of protective coatings would echo what I am seeing.

Again, remember you're speaking to a knucklehead, but I think I would have removed some leaves to allow better flow along with reducing the fan, especially if I had an issue like that. I'd especially take a few leaves that block flow to the buds.

While it's true you don't want to de-nude a plant during flower, there's no harm in removing a few leaves here and there to prevent the same issues you're seeing, if that is what it is. I was stationed with a guy from Hawaii during the service and I remember him telling me he removed leaves every day, especially during flower to allow both light and air penetration. It was a chore of his as a kid. Look at my avatar to see how I've pruned some plants, and it's my first grow. Be surprised how much they can take and not miss a beat.

Don't stop here, while you're waiting to see the results of the fan, do a little more research into other possibilities so you can form a tentative Plan B.

Back
Top Bottom