Winging It In Winter By The Window: Soil Auto Grow

Yeah saw they predicting some rain. Dams must just fill up. Its bad whats happening the eastern cape. Its already cloudy by us but not really cold. We have a weird winter season this year hey...
Yes. It seems that the weather is becoming more extreme everywhere you look these days.
It's dark here atm and it is only 4.30. It looks like a storm and the temps dropped suddenly, but there is no rain predicted for today. It looks like night time lol.
Quite doable, Carmen.

Sounds like a good plan to me, and I know a "good plan" when I see one. You can ask anyone! :laughtwo:
Excellent GDB! :) Yay! Thanks

Hi Carmen! You're doing so well over here! I've found it difficult to train around the edge of a pot because of all the side branches, it always seems to end of a mess when I try. I have better luck planting on one side of the container and bending it towards the far side. I've told you before I think the soil I'm using is too hot for some seedlings. My issues were they either never sprouted or grew extremely slowly, but they all looked heathy if they did sprout. I'm not sure what you've got going on there sorry. I'm sure you'll get it figured out and luckily they've got plenty of time to get healthy... good luck!

Thank you Shed. This makes me so happy :)
DSC_7843-Edit.JPG
WHOA. I was catching up and this took my breath away!

Tuesday 21 June UPDATE

AUTOS
Caramel King
and Lavender Best, the two autos are 7 and 5 weeks old respectively. They both got 2 Litres of nute water this morning. I removed some of the books from the stack that are keeping the Lavender Best close to the light as she had stretched a bit more. She is now level-ish with the Caramel King.

PHOTOPERIODS
Bruce Banner #2
and
Wedding Cake, the two photos are both 19 days old. I got lucky this morning because my pots arrived and I was able to up-pot to 5 Litre / 1 gal. They are square plastic pots on legs, like the ones I used to use with coco-perlite grows. I hope that a month is enough time to establish a strong root structure in there before an up-pot to the 20 L / 5 gal fabric pots? Do you folk think this is doable? I want to veg until end July and then flower.

DSC_7871-Edit.JPG

DSC_7869-Edit.JPG

LEAF ISSUES
All four of my plants have had leaf issues in this soil. Asking around about the cause has not produced definitive answers. It's possible the soil is too hot for seedlings. It is also possible that the cold weather causes a nute lockout. I doubt it is a watering issue as I have followed @Jon's method for starting seedlings and I know I haven't over or under watered with these two. The autos grew out of it. I hope the photos do too.
DSC_7860.JPG
DSC_7862.JPG

Thank you for taking an interest in my grow and for knowledge and wisdom shared :green_heart:
You can stay a month in those pots.

Hi Carmen! You're doing so well over here! I've found it difficult to train around the edge of a pot because of all the side branches, it always seems to end of a mess when I try. I have better luck planting on one side of the container and bending it towards the far side. I've told you before I think the soil I'm using is too hot for some seedlings. My issues were they either never sprouted or grew extremely slowly, but they all looked heathy if they did sprout. I'm not sure what you've got going on there sorry. I'm sure you'll get it figured out and luckily they've got plenty of time to get healthy... good luck!
Hey BK :) Thank you so much! I think you may be wise to plant closer to one side to accommodate the bend. This plant hasn't exceeded the boundaries so I got lucky. How does it affect root development if the root ball is placed close to one side of the grow bag?

Happy shortest day of the year Carmen! Tomorrow will be a little longer (and brighter I hope!) and that means that spring is on its way.
:party:

Any chance those leaves were touching the soil at some point?
Thank you Shed! Happy longest day of the year for you.... enjoy!
The leaves have not been dragging on the soil. I am wondering if it isn't nute lockout due to cold temps. The Lavender Best, who grew out of the worst of it, has presented with it on only one top leaf which I have just noticed now.
I'm pretty sure that roots will grow wherever there is space for them! Parkinson's law for plants!
Thanks Shed this sorta breaks my brain :rofl: I promise to try to understand it!

It's basically the theory that work grows to fill the time allotted to get it done.
I'm going to take your word for it :cheesygrinsmiley: I think what you are telling me is that the roots will fill out to match the work that they need to do, and will colonize the soil in the bag if they are healthy and well fed.

Hi Carmen! Just like Jon showed you, slowly draw the circle out to draw the roots. Except the circle will look more like an egg with the plant on one side. I leave an inch or so its not right against the edge.
Thank you BK, that makes perfect sense to me.

Folks, I am not happy about the way my seedlings have all four been affected by something in the environment that causes them to present with leaf issues. I went back to chat to the dude who manufactures the soil. He was perplexed. The frustration is that I can't do anything about it and I have to wait it out. I really hope the Bruce Banner #2 recovers. This flipping leaf rot or whatever it is, is creeping upwards.
DSC_7899.JPG

The drooping and wrinkled leaves makes it look overwatered to me, besides the rust.
Oh no... that could very well be. I up-potted them yesterday into slightly moist soil, and gave them their first water today. I was careful to water them around the outer circle into a moat. I didn't give them much, possibly 1/2 L into each 5 L pot but it did run-off. I have been following instruction by @Jon, but my notes don't include the up-pot. I lost track and improvised. Damn, I should have asked :(

Carmen do you grow other plants? Like house plants?
HI Tra, I grow a bonzai which hardly ever gets any water, and outdoor potted plants which get water daily in summer and are over-watered by rain in winter. I think the trouble is that I watered the plants to run-off too soon. I have confused myself with information over-load. I am freaking out because I can't seem to retain information that I read. I have copied notes from @Jon's instructions but my notes stop before the up-pot. Watering has become a fucking nightmare.
I'm thinking calcium deficiency with those rust spots. Do you supplement with cal-mag?
Hi Azi. I use a living organic soil that is premixed and laboratory tested. I told Jamie (the manufacturer) that several people suggest calcium deficiency, and he responded by shaking his head and saying it is quite incorrect to use synthetic nutes in his soil. He doesn't agree with the calmag diagnosis. I just have to wait it out and hope it improves, as there is nothing to be done at this time.

HI Tra, I grow a bonzai which hardly ever gets any water, and outdoor potted plants which get water daily in summer and are over-watered by rain in winter. I think the trouble is that I watered the plants to run-off too soon. I have confused myself with information over-load. I am freaking out because I can't seem to retain information that I read. I have copied notes from @Jon's instructions but my notes stop before the up-pot. Watering has become a fucking nightmare.
Hi girlfriend :)

I ask because the same thing happened to me when I joined. I felt everyone was so water obsessed I needed to be water obsessed too. I forgot I know how to grow regular plants. I get the water confusion if the poster has no idea about growing plants, coz so many people don’t and MJ is their first taste of growing. But if you do love to grow regular plants MJ is just a plant. Stop overthinking it. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. I wish someone had given me this advice when I joined lol. It literally took me a year in here to realise this fact. While I continue to face grow challenges, knowing when to water my plants isn’t one of them.

You got this.

Hi girlfriend :)

I ask because the same thing happened to me when I joined. I felt everyone was so water obsessed I needed to be water obsessed too. I forgot I know how to grow regular plants. I get the water confusion if the poster has no idea about growing plants, coz so many people don’t and MJ is their first taste of growing. But if you do love to grow regular plants MJ is just a plant. Stop overthinking it. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. I wish someone had given me this advice when I joined lol. It literally took me a year in here to realise this fact. While I continue to face grow challenges, knowing when to water my plants isn’t one of them.

You got this.
Ah girlfriend you make me lol properly... thank you! Yes, it does feel as if I have become water obsessed. I am going to try to find my zen with this :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom