With fabric grow bags, is it necessary to still transplant from small to large containers as they grow in size?

Edward Scissorhash

With fabric grow bags, is it still necessary to still transplant from small to large containers as they grow in size to help promote a better root structure?

As far as I knew with regular containers, I always started in small growing containers or plastic cups, then went to 1gal, 3gal, 5gal or sometimes skipped 3gal. I ask because I know with aerated bags you are going to achieve a totally different root structure rather than with reg containers and I have yet to come across any information on this myself.

Yes,usual routine unless autos, then the usual start in a larger .
One thing I've seen with the fabric pots for the lazy grower (appeals to me) is up potting without removing the smaller pot, just straight into the larger pot. How good it ended I don't know but worked.

ive transplanted seedlings into my garden with those fast biodegradable little square pots but It doesnt sound like a good idea to me at least to put the whole bag in there haha. Thanks for the reply tho, I just wanted to make sure because I was about to order 3 different size grow bags to entirely switch out from pots and buckets so I just thought it would be smart to confirm first.

You don’t need to up-pot when using fabric pots, one of the reasons I use them, no time for up-potting

Fabric pots air prune roots that make it to the outside, that root will then branch and as the only direction to go is back towards the centre filling the space that gets under utilized in a plastic pot. In plastic, when they reach the pot, they are more prone to circle rather than branch.

Back
Top Bottom