Woes Expected in Enforcement of Marijuana Law

Weedpipe

420 Member
The state's medical marijuana program — begun in April — hasn't created headaches for Livingston County's law enforcement, but likely will as the program grows, said county Sheriff Bob Bezotte.

The Michigan Medical Marihuana Program allows patients with debilitating illnesses to grow and possess marijuana for medicinal purposes. Those approved receive cards that indicate their participation in the program.

The measure was approved by Michigan voters Nov. 4, 2008, and is overseen by the Michigan Department of Community Health.

As of Dec. 11, 11,517 program applications had been received, 6,439 patient registrations issued, 2,686 caregiver registrations issued and 1,981 applications denied.

The Department of Community Health doesn't have a county-by-county breakdown of the figures.
Bezotte said his department has yet to bust someone for smoking marijuana, then learn the person was smoking under a doctor's consent under the state program.

He said enforcement of the new law could become cumbersome in the county, which has reduced his force due to budget cuts. Extensive time could be spent verifying participants' cards, he added.
"It just creates so many more issues for us at a time when we have less people and more things happening. It's kind of frustrating, from our point of view," Bezotte said.

Enforcement aside, it remains unclear if the law is working as intended. In other words, it remains unclear if people with debilitating illnesses are gaining access to medical marijuana and experiencing physical relief from the drug.

Those eligible for the program must have or be treated for ailments that fall within three categories of debilitating illnesses. The list includes cancer, glaucoma, Crohn's disease, agitation of Alzheimer's disease and AIDS.
The state law doesn't allow the Department of Community Health to supply patients with seeds or starter plants, or give advice on how to grow medical marijuana.

This is one of several "gray" areas in the medical marijuana law, said James McCurtis, department spokesman. McCurtis said the department doesn't know where to obtain seeds or how to grow the plant in the first place.

News Hawk- Weedpipe 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Livingston Daily
Author: Christopher Behnan
Copyright: Livingston Daily

I think that is the whole point. The War on Drugs is funded by kicking in doors and stealing a person's property. It is legal for the cops to do it because we still put up with it. More people taking a stand against that part of prohibition that is the most pernicious and ingrained is needed before change will happen. Till then it will be only a hassle for some cops for kicking in the wrong doors(hint,hint,hint- stop kicking in doors...).

I'll be happy to instruct any of em...:roorrip:

I'll be happy to instruct any of em...:roorrip:
Our leaders need to except responsabity for a failed program, invented to oppress the citizens of the U.S.A. . Hey, specially all you people that use that killer weed !! Ha !! Let them go leo, and when the prisons are empty, and you don't have a job, then you'll see how tough it is out here in the real world and how wrong you was. I don't invision you getting a job right away, because you're too stupid to do anything else !! I don't think anyone ever did a study into how many lives were distroyed in the war on drugs?? I mean, how about the familys torn apart and now i feel that they should not only let you go ,but reimburse you for the torture that the've put you through. And for what, a WEED !! Merry xmas to everyone at 420 mag. and to everyone in general !! Merry xmas everyone !! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom