Wonder Woman Grow Journal 2016

This works...I done it many times and have many people on here doing it. Next time CC will nail it. It isn't that hard just takes a leap of faith.

But you walk into any grow store and they will sell you the same stuff with a fancy label.

Yes. EWC and molasses alone...that solves most problems in a tank.

Molasses is not as good to work with but works. You need a lot for the same action you get with a spoonful of some concentrate.

That basic tea should be on any growers playlist at least available as a tool if not used as a supplement. Soil or hydro this is a must to be doing or at least understand and do a few times.

In fact I have another thread right now explaining how I recycle my soil into compost and use EWC exclusively as the only nutrients in soil.

The reason I mention is that is the point. For the same effort it takes to make tea ... you throw in a handful of other ingredients and you get so much more.

And after you bugger this up a few times you will find out this fact and understand the why...

EWC is primarily Nitrogen when it comes out. It comes out with more but know it is super high in nitrogen. So now if you want to maintain a good ratio in the res you need to mix that with something low in nitrogen to keep a good ratio. Likely what happens is nitrogen overdosing. Most people think that looks healthy and go with it.

If you make a complete tea it is closer to a usable ratio for the plant. Makes for easier adjustment and consumption.

So you go get a few more things for near nothing and dump in a smidgen each time and make your own complete brew.

:goodluck:

I would add...(this is for hydro)

I first was looking at how do I make my own Bud factor X because that is too expensive to buy. When I figured out I could do it with a tea. Then I experimented a bit and got a recipe that works for me.

I was already using it in soil. When I tried researching hydro and saw they were bottling teas in many parts which I was like hmmmm.......I think I will just try that myself....and it works fine.

The bud factor X thing is very dangerous and not allowed till you gots a handle on growing in general. You can cause it to hermi easily if not handled properly... You are causing and allergic reaction that has a number of awesome responses since it isn't actually being infested with insects. One of the responses (one among many) is increased reproduction. If pushed too far the plant thinks it needs to hermi to save the line. That is the next level but we aint there yet.

I have proven that you can throttle this and use it to sex plants under 24 hour light. You can make it sex then back off the "stuff" and it goes back as the insects have gone away. You will have to deal with some stretch.

All sorts of fun stuff to play with but you gots to crawl before you can walk. Learn how to do teas first... do it where you do not control it.

then...
Chitosan in Plant Protection

:high-five:

A few nights ago I took out about 2 gallons of the res which is almost 40% of the res.
I replaced it with tap water + CalMag to bring the PPM down into the 600 range.

For the last few days she has been hovering between 600-650 and drinking about 1/2 gallon of water a day. I've refilled the res twice since with tap water + CalMag.

She keeps growing, roots are popping out in different places in the basket. Things are looking better, with that being said I am still concerned as I'm still seeing a decent amount of leaves with some type of deficiency. I've been hoping that adding more CalMag would be the solution but it only seems to have slowed the issue.

20170112_151738_800x432_.jpg

20170112_151722_800x450_800x450_.jpg

20170111_070157_800x450_.jpg

I did a res swap today, moved her from a 5 gallon to 15 gallon res. I filled the res with tap water; made a 2 gallon bucket of AN Sensi A and B (1/4 strength), CalMag, PH- (1 cap). I then siphoned the 2 gallons into the res till I had her where I wanted her. Right now she is 6.3 610.

I know you said before I could wait to do the tea but I'm thinking there may still be an infection. Do you think I should dose it?

I do believe that is still calcium deficiency.

There are a few things you can try. The standard treatment for rapid calcium uptake is pH to 6.5 and dump in a ton and let it sit there for a day. Then dump that and take it back to normal. That is actually if all you have is a deficiency problem and you just need to boost it back. Rarely is that the case when we have a real problem...

You likely have something inherent causing poor calcium uptake becasue your res according to your posts is full of calcium and you have had it in a good range for calcium uptake for some time.

Ahhhh....this is a stretch here...but maybe just maybe you kept it crammed packed so long that it is still unwinding the mess in the leaves. By that I mean it had to eat around the dinner pate for days trying to get at what it needed. It filled itself with things it didn't want until it couldn't anymore. Now it is unwinding and maybe it is taking longer.

Last time you posted I was thinking about recommending a quick CAL/MAG flush. Just do a 24 hour res of filtered water with just some cal mag to let it unwind but I didn't say so.

That said you are on target really. I would say ...well it is the weekend isn't it.... you could do a run of tea this weekend and that means it would be dosed maybe Monday, if you push it, that gives you 3 days on this res to see what is happening. I think I like that.

Your choice but you went ahead and made that res...but given all the options in the world I would do either....

1) Keep the res you have right now and monitor 3 days and if need be dump in a tea and keep at it. (I guess if you make it you will use it...it doesn't hurt)

2) Put in a clean Cal mag res for 24 hours then do basically do what you are doing... Get back on a regular schedule which may include a tea every so often.

I like that she is drinking now that the PPMs are down. This next time I think you have a better grasp and can manage this right and you will see better performance. It takes a few tries I think. Many people fail making the tea the first time like you did. It is easy once you get it you will laugh at yourself for not but it is easy to mess up.

Anyway Sorry to hear she is struggling still but I kinda assumed you were not done yet. Next time we manage the PPMs right and the uptake will be more pronounced and that will hopefully lead to more even uptake of nutrients.

But you are probably right...there is likely still some goobers in there.

Also this may sound a bit odd but you may want to up the phos. If you have some Bat guano you could add to the tea and that would be great. I wouldn't do it with something like MOAB unless your res was closer to 400-500 then add a smidge of MOAB.

Good point about ridding the lower edge of the good window range is you can add stuff when needed.

What you can do is tomorrow you can do a small top off with some MOAB and sort of bring up the Phos gradually.

1) Keep the res you have right now and monitor 3 days and if need be dump in a tea and keep at it. (I guess if you make it you will use it...it doesn't hurt)

2) Put in a clean Cal mag res for 24 hours then do basically do what you are doing... Get back on a regular schedule which may include a tea every so often.

I choose option 1. I'm going to start a batch of tea tonight so I can use it some time Sunday. I got my vortex brewer working nicely now, just need to run out and get distilled water.

Can I ask why tap water?

See above, it's a pain in the butt to have to continuously buy water from the store. I've through about investing in a water filter for the line I'm using but I have no idea what to get and when I was researching them I couldn't make a decision so I did nothing instead.

Forgot to take a current reading, 6.7 630, 24 hours ago was 6.3 620. She is down about 1/2 gallon (guesstimate) in that time as well. I'll probably top her off tomorrow with a gallon of tap and a good dosage of CalMag. Once I get the tea brewing, any interest in seeing it in action?

naw I seen it plenty. If it comes out around 820 or so and is bubblin away you got it.

So another thing that is way overthought is filtering. It is good to have filtered water. I can get away without it right now as my tap no shit is 14 PPM. They used to bottle and sell the tap here as it comes straight off Mt. Hood.

Anyway... You don't NEED a fancy filter. Most everything in the water is totally fine for the plants in fact you know and have proven that on previous grows.

The real deal to filtering is allowing you to get to the numbers easier and understand what is actually being taken up. you don't know what the composition is of the 100 PPM you have in there nor do you know how it interacts with the stuff you put in there.

Also many people have to deal with chlorimate which must be filtered.

So you can go about it a lot of ways but you can gt yourself a decent filter for around 40 bucks that is well good enough for a home grow.

I find that wild that it went up like that to 6.7 Wont hurt the calcium uptake but that seems off base. You may want to manually lower that.

Forgot to take a current reading, 6.7 630, 24 hours ago was 6.3 620. She is down about 1/2 gallon (guesstimate) in that time as well. I'll probably top her off tomorrow with a gallon of tap and a good dosage of CalMag. Once I get the tea brewing, any interest in seeing it in action?

Your ph is too high. Lower to 5.5. Your plant isn't uptaking cal. Let it rise back to 6.1 then lower again. Here's a chart. Google calcium deficiency. Your adding calcium but your ph isn't letting the plant use it. .
c71eeb146749302868e506e1e46db98b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Your ph is too high. Lower to 5.5. Your plant isn't uptaking cal. Let it rise back to 6.1 then lower again. Here's a chart. Google calcium deficiency. Your adding calcium but your ph isn't letting the plant use it. .
c71eeb146749302868e506e1e46db98b.jpg

Thanks for the chart, I have a similar copy laying around here somewhere.

VI, the chart says best uptake for Calcium uptake is 5.0 to 5.8, how come you said the best treatment is to run it at 6.5? For soil it looks like 6.5, not hydro though.

The standard treatment for rapid calcium uptake is pH to 6.5 and dump in a ton and let it sit there for a day.

So I googled "cannabis nutrient uptake ph chart hydroponics" and was looking at the image results. Just within the first ten results or so there are three or four different charts that show a different "good" range for calcium uptake in hydro. That's what makes everything so difficult, there is no one answer. There are a lot of answers and they may be correct, may be wrong, may be a little of both.

Yes there are many of these charts floating around. If you do your research you will find 6.4 to 6.5 is ideal for calcium and not others. 5.8 ish is a good middle ground for overall absorption.

I don't like that chart as opposed to others as it hides important details and leads you to a misunderstanding of the absorption rates. I like the one below a bit better as it shows that the absorption is inconsistent.

What he is pointing out was what we first proved was not your problem. You had been running at ideal pH and just a bit High PPM and had good temps and humidity and all sort of things right and had no absorption of many nutes not just calcium.

I have been trying to drive you back to a normal res for over a week now. I have been saying do this but you keep mixing up new stuff and putting it in there and afterwards posting and asking. Well at that point you are done and we have to figure out how to walk back out of a new res you just made.

I have been trying to get you to get back to normal since you put your first round of tea in there. That is the protocol. Dose the tea then walk it back down. You kept adding tea and never walked it back down.

It is your call but I was saying I would have done a quick 24 hour calcium flush then go back to a normal res. You dump a calcium flush after 24 hours. You do not reuse it. There is a standard protocol for calcium deficiency if that is your problem. 24 hour high calcium at 6.4-6.5 then you dump it and put in a normal res. That is the protocol for calcium def. You do not leave it there for days on end. 24 hours then dump that cal res. Then get a normal ratio back in there.

You need to maintain a normal res. Once in a while you can introduce a tea to fix problems or boost production. What you don't do is let the res run out of control on you indefinitely. For right now you have to manually adjust pH like most people if you let it get out of control like this. This is why we didn't do this on you first grow. :)

If you play your cards right this works fine. If you don't you have to manage the situation. No worries though you will get there.

If you go back I have been saying over and over since the tea went in...wait for the bubbling to die off and keep diluting it and then get it back to normal. If you dilute it properly the pH will self maintain. I feel like a broken record. I have done this many times. I usually never let my PPMs get outta whack period no matter what as that is the sole to hydro. So I will put in some tea and measure then top off to get it right. If you keep the res at the correct concentration then you wont have a problem (all things being clean and ideal). I wont need to dilute over and over. I just top off with the PPM needed for that week of growth. There is nothing more to it.

Nutrient_Uptake_and_pH1.jpg

I posted this many times in your journals but follow the PPMs on this chart. On this chart it is converted to EC

CCH2O-Recommendations-Graph-1024x743.jpg

Thanks for the chart, I have a similar copy laying around here somewhere.

VI, the chart says best uptake for Calcium uptake is 5.0 to 5.8, how come you said the best treatment is to run it at 6.5? For soil it looks like 6.5, not hydro though.

No way on 6.5. Your ph is too high suffering from cal def. drop to 5.5 and watch it thrive. I know there's lots of diff charts. But the growers I've talked to use these numbers. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Ah see I skip over so much thinking it all just makes sense.

See we talked a lot about this stuff in the past so I kinda assumed you just have a mind like a sponge and have absorbed 100% everything we have talked about cause you are so great man!!!

So first off a cal flush is a common thing. People have all kinds of water situations and until they dial it in Calcium is one that is all over the place for a few reasons. Primarily there is a highly variable amount in the water each persons tap.

One way around dealing with stuff in the water is to filter it down to nothing and then all that is there is what you add and that is what most people try to do. Calcium is one that comes out your pipes and is there and if you don't filter you have some likely. So how much you need to supplement calcium is up to you and it is common to have an actual deficiency. As in you had a program running and then something about the water source changed and now you are low. For a deficiency there are a few responses. One is just to up the nute in question and that commonly works fine. However the ratio of nutes is important. Sometimes not... and with Calcium it is common that you want to really change course fast... "want to" ... may not be necessary really but people choose to as often it is about time to harvest.

So in that case... it is common to run a calcium flush for 24 hours to drive in the cal and clean out the roots. To do that it is just filtered water and 4x dose of Cal mag and let it bath in it for 24 hours. Then you dump that and put back in a normal res. You wont fix bad leaves but you will get the thing back preloaded and back on tack...if your only problem is a deficiency. A plant can easily go 24 hours no food no problem. You go into any good grow shop and ask about rapid Calcium fix and they will explain this. But usually people just stay on plan and up the cal mag. It doesn't really matter and you can't overdo the cal mag really unless you run the water to an undrinkable state.

The ratio is very important and here is why. The roots store up stuff. They are like a tool bridge. Water needs to get through for the plant to operate. The plant actually uses less than 2% of the water it absorbs. More than 98% of the water is used for transportation via transpiration and other methods the plant uses to move things around...but water is the medium to move things around. (we talked about this before). The toll bridge can get backed up and that inhibits water getting through becasue the only thing is can do is increase the concentration making things worse. We saw it struggle with that in your readings early on. If the roots don't block it then the plant must absorb it... if it can't then your res drops and the PPMs go up.

So anywho your roots are cleared up now and she is drinking so that is a big improvement. You probably can just ride it all out now.

Just remember that you always want an ideal res. If you want to do something like put in the tea then the goal is eventually to get back to normal. It will do its thing then you go back to normal.

There are many tricks in the trade for fixing issues but in the end you always drive back to "normal"

I didn't bring up just a calcium flush in the beginning as the plant show much more wrong than just calcium...and I didn't think you changed your water source.

:thumb:

No way on 6.5. Your ph is too high suffering from cal def. drop to 5.5 and watch it thrive. I know there's lots of diff charts. But the growers I've talked to use these numbers. Good luck.

Incidentally that is what I have been saying for over a week. CC is asking about something in particular but I have been trying to get him to drop the thing to a normal res for some time.

In the 5's is where it should have been for some time now. I am not saying run at 6.5 and never said that. I am talking about a common used protocol for rapid calcium uptake. Which I have repeatedly stated he does not need to do.

I haven't changed my water source.

From the first grow I've been supplementing with CalMag in every feeding through Veg. Nothing has changed, and yet this is the first time I've had this particular issue. I've had many issues before, usually they seem to work themselves out once I get things dialed in. I'm going to stay the course but with a little bit of magical tea to see how she responds.

I've diluted the res to bring her to 5.9 580.

Back
Top Bottom