Wonderland Grow

Is that seedling an AUTO? Some times they start out wonky. Those are the plants that usually turn out special. Patience.

You can leave your air holes open.. better air flow is better.

You can leave the doors open if you have decent curtains and AUTOs it doesn't matter you dont have to shut the door if you dont want to. I shut the door to the room leave the zippers and such wide open. So it all depends on your setup.

You dont want excessive heat and/or humidity.

Everything else is up for argument.

Critter looks like a moth larvae. Kill that thing. Flush works if you dont yet feel comfortable with a clean guillotine situation. lol

At some point in the future, you may understand what I mean. Those are the bane of outdoor growers. Hard as hell to get rid of. Best thing to do is attract birds. They will clean them up pretty fast.

Is that seedling an AUTO? Some times they start out wonky. Those are the plants that usually turn out special. Patience.

You can leave your air holes open.. better air flow is better.

You can leave the doors open if you have decent curtains and AUTOs it doesn't matter you dont have to shut the door if you dont want to. I shut the door to the room leave the zippers and such wide open. So it all depends on your setup.

You dont want excessive heat and/or humidity.

Everything else is up for argument.

Critter looks like a moth larvae. Kill that thing. Flush works if you dont yet feel comfortable with a clean guillotine situation. lol

At some point in the future, you may understand what I mean. Those are the bane of outdoor growers. Hard as hell to get rid of. Best thing to do is attract birds. They will clean them up pretty fast.

Yes, she is an auto.
Yesterday, Jack Herer also popped out of the soil and my tent is arriving tomorrow. I will put this little AK into the tent under the led, and put the new seedling in the place of the AK for a few days, then she goes to the tent too.

The room will not get too hot, presumably until June. But as I said, odor is something I have to get rid of. I'm not sure about what do you mean by "You can leave the doors open if you have decent curtains and AUTOs". Do autos smell less? I mean, obviously, since they yield less, there's less smell, but is there anything in ruderalis genetics that make them less stinky?

I meant if you have your grow space in a dedicated room where you can close the room door - you can leave the tent door open. Airflow is important. It helps the plant transpire more efficiently and that means better water and nutrient uptake at the roots.

AUTO's depending on strain are not as stinky. I think it's due to sheer size. They are just not a huge plant.

I've ran 20 at a time without any filtration. Not recommending that. lol

I've been missing in the last couple days, but there's a LOT going back and forth with my grow. I'll update a few pictures, but first let's get into the details.

So my tent arrived 2 days ago. Although the description on the webshop and even on the box it was packed in says it's 80×80×160cm, it turned out I somehow got the 2.0 version because it's 180cm tall. That's 20cm more headroom, quite a pleasing surprise. First I assembled the body, but it was a nightmare trying to pull the cloth on it. I figured out it's much easier to lay the clothing down on the floor, and assemble it from inside.

I've also got my fan, and to my surprise, it didn't came with a cable attached to it. First, I was like oh well... I'm not really good at electrical wiring, but one of my buddies came over to help me out. It was only about 2 minutes for him, now it seem to work properly. I didn't attached it yet, since I still haven't ordered a filter and tubing, but right now I have a big standing fan outside the tent for oscillating, and the door of the tent is open all day to provide my girls good airflow.

Though I'm really not sure about feeding, yesterday evening I decided I would add nutrients to them for the first time. The reason for this (see pictures below) is that I feel like my plants aren't really growing at the speed they should. I'm probably wrong and impatient, please, help me out with your opinions! :green_heart: According to its description (it's BioBizz Grow) I can give 2-4ml/l to them. I've only put about 4ml into 5-6l of water, so I guess it shouldn't really cause a problem, even if the time was a bit too early. It didn't cause anything bad yet (~18 hours passed since feeding them), we'll see what happens to them in the next few days.

I've got some quite bad news too. It really is the perfect example of Murphy's law, what can happen will happen. I rent this flat for one and a half years now. As I mentioned it earlier, the couple whom I rent it from are nice people, I like them, and I have absolutely nothing to complain about. When I have to pay the bills, it's usually only the wife who comes over, I pay her, we chat for a few minutes, and she leaves. She never ever "checks" anything, she usually just asks if everything's allright, that's all. For this reason, I wasn't worried about them discovering my garden, it's in a closed room, and apart from the very first time when I moved in, they never ever went into that room in this one and a half year. Now guess what? The day when my tent arrived, it was payday. This time both of them came, but they didn't even come in, they were in hurry. The guy asked me if it's ok for me that he would bring paint, brushes and other stuff, and then I would renovate the window frames. He said we can agree on a price and they will deduct it from my rental fee. In fact, the windows are quite old, what else could I have said, I said sure, it's fine, I'll do it. Obviously, the problem is, it's very likely that when he comes over with all the stuff, he will check the condition of the frames everywhere, which means he will enter that room too. For sure, he'll call me before, and won't just show up randomly, but it's still a mess to even think about it. We didn't talk about any exact date yet, but according to Murphy, I'm sure he will want to come over right in the middle of flowering :D
Well, let's not be so pessimistic about it. I have a few options. One thing for sure is that I must disassemble the tent and everything for that day. I can't risk it, that he might not enter the room, because if he does, my garden (and quite likely my residence here) is over. I live in post-communist country, people here are not too positive-thinking about weed, you know... So apart from disassembling everything, I have to do something with the plants too. Thanks God, that they're autos, I don't have to worry about messing up their light cycle. My plan right now is the following: if they will still be in vegetation, I can just put them in a wardrobe or something and leave them there for the short time of the visit. However, if they'll be flowering, things get a little more complicated. I guess odor is not something I can control if they're out of the tent. If they will be in very early flowering, I might get away with putting them into big boxes and putting the boxes somewhere deep into a wardrobe. But, if they smell like hell, I think I have to carefully seal the boxes and move them down to the basement. I really wouldn't want to do that, I live on the top floor (4th), I have to keep it discreete. All in all, I have to figure out something about it.

Now let's see the pictures.

It's how I set it up first. I put the younger seedling into the corner not to get that intense light.
DSC_8418.jpg

This is how the Royal AK looked like 2 days ago.
DSC_8422.jpg

I haven't talked much about my led, but here we go. It's a "800w" led from a Chinese brand called Roleadro. It actually draws ~190w from the wall. There are 128 (8×16) "holes" on it, and there are double chips in every hole, so altogether there are 256 chips. You can see all the colors on this picture, there's not too much blue in it, I'm not sure if it's optimal.
DSC_8423.jpg

This is how it looks like now. I moved the led down there, becuase I felt like they should already be much bigger at this stage. The older plant (the AK) is about 30cm (1 foot) from the light, and the younger one (Jack Herer) is 50cm away. I put the latter to the side, but I've also put a small desk lamp next to her with a 6w led bulb. You can see the big oscillating fan too, it's set to rotate around.
DSC_8424.jpg

Another angle. You can see that the AK stretched a lot. Unfortunately, her stem is quite long and weak. I had to support her by putting more soil around the stem. Without it she would fall from the weight of her leaves. :confused:
DSC_8426.jpg

It's how the little Jack looks like now. Sorry, the picture is a bit dark. She popped out of the soil on Monday. I think she looks quite ok.
DSC_8429.jpg

Not so much ok looking is my AK. She popped out 11 days ago. I thought she should be much bigger at this stage. What do you, dear 420ers, think?
DSC_8430.jpg

DSC_8431.jpg

Pulling up a chair to watch this one. I've just started an auto too but in a much smaller space. Will be interesting to see how they both go.

Welcome VetSmoke! :cool:

I'm on the second page of your journal. Your setup is great, I wish you good luck with that!
I'd also need something more incognito, but I'm trusting in my senses that nothing will go wrong with this grow. Obviously, I do everything I can to optimize cost/stealth level. There are a few people who really should not discover it, but if they do I wouldn't end up in jail, it would just be the end of this grow immediately, I guess.

My humidity started to drop in the last 2 days. I've turned off the oscillating fan, only leaving the door open all day long, my hygrometer shows the daily min-max rh is between 45 and 48%. Temperature is between 18,3 and 20,5°C (or 65-69°F). I don't have a humidifier but I can hang a wet towel or two in the tent if I have to. Would it speed up growth? I've read it here and there that the younger the plant, the more humid environment it needs. How true is that? Please, help me out! :green_heart:

ps: I'll come back with more questions later, I'm collecting them in my head! :D

Pretty sure seedlings like 60-70%, veg 50-60%, flower 40-50%. Off the top of my head. I've got it written down but not to hand. Google search and you'll find it. I could be wrong but I think bumping the temp slightly will raise the humidity. Try keeping the door closed and see what happens. Sure one of the experienced folk will confirm or deny this.

Not so much ok looking is my AK. She popped out 11 days ago. I thought she should be much bigger at this stage. What do you, dear 420ers, think?

Hi Alice, as a first time grower I've been enjoying your journal, you have had many of the same questions I've had, especially around odour. So I'm not experienced at all but I have read on here that one shouldn't worry too much about seedlings not growing. Apparently this is because the growth is happening underground and means you will have a good strong root ball for when the growth explosion begins. Good luck!

Pretty sure seedlings like 60-70%, veg 50-60%, flower 40-50%. Off the top of my head. I've got it written down but not to hand. Google search and you'll find it. I could be wrong but I think bumping the temp slightly will raise the humidity. Try keeping the door closed and see what happens. Sure one of the experienced folk will confirm or deny this.
Have you got watered pots in the tent now?

Yes, those are the numbers in my mind too. I didn't install my exhaust fan yet, I'll order a carbon filter and tubing in 2 week. When flowering starts, the tent will be closed and air exchange will then be done with the fan. For now, I've just put a wet towel at the back of the room, we'll see if it changes anything.
To your other question, let's say the pots are watered... I think I messed it up a bit, I watered almost every day but only like 3-4 cups of water (about 1l, or 1/4 gal). I didn't have runoff apart from the second or third day after the first seed popped, but the soil was quite wet all across these 2 weeks. Now I haven't watered in the last 2 days, and I believe I should skip one more day (or even two), probably it would help roots spread out in the fabric pot.

Hi Alice, as a first time grower I've been enjoying your journal, you have had many of the same questions I've had, especially around odour. So I'm not experienced at all but I have read on here that one shouldn't worry too much about seedlings not growing. Apparently this is because the growth is happening underground and means you will have a good strong root ball for when the growth explosion begins. Good luck!

Hey Hutch, welcome here! :)

I very much hope that you are right, and I'm just a bit impatient as always. I've taken a few photos without the purple light with only the camera flash. I'll convert and update them later. The AK seedling came to the surface 14 days ago, so it's been 2 whole weeks. Yesterday afternoon I saw a thread somewhere in the FAQ section, where a grower asked if his plant looks ok for a 2,5-week-old plant and got answers that it should be bigger. Compared to that picture, mine looks even smaller and underdeveloped, so I'm a bit sad :confused:

Thank you for all of your support guys, pictures arriving soon! :meditate:

Here is a VPD chart. Shows ideal conditions for growth. I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Your humidity isn't as bad as some. I have young plants in an open room that has been quite dry. I believe these are the conditions for optimal growth though.

Chart assumes your leaves are 2 degrees cooler and I think the only way to verify the accuracy of that is with one of those temp guns.

Attachments

• vpd_2degree.gif
    vpd_2degree.gif
    396.2 KB · Views: 47
Watering a small plant in a large pot takes some skill, I'm not sure of the exact technique but you need to water is a circle just outside the leaves and you still need to let the roots dry out. There is a reason the number one mistake is over watering. Even after reading this fact I still did it often at the beginning of my grow. I have since learned to slow down and be more patient before reacting to the plants.

Watering a small plant in a large pot takes some skill, I'm not sure of the exact technique but you need to water is a circle just outside the leaves and you still need to let the roots dry out. There is a reason the number one mistake is over watering. Even after reading this fact I still did it often at the beginning of my grow. I have since learned to slow down and be more patient before reacting to the plants.
I guess that's what I messed up too. It would be nice to see somehow, how my rootball looks like, but all I can do is guess.

To the previous post: I don't know if it's normal, but the temperature under my light is actually lower than outside the tent. I have my hygrometer outside, it measures temp and humidity by itself, and then it has this long cable with the metal thing at the end to measure another point too. I can switch between the two ("indoor / outdoor"). Now if my guess is right (which logically should be), the hygrometer itself displays the "indoor" conditions and the other point on the cable is outdoor. What strange is that the "outdoor" display is always 1,5 or 2, sometimes even 2,5°C cooler than the "indoor" one. So somehow the temperature is way cooler under my led than it is outside the tent. Humidity is almost identical all the time. Can it be that the two small pc fans cool down the tent this much? I have no idea.

LED throw little heat so it's possible the fans are cooling by 2 degrees. I had trouble with keeping the tent warm enough with my LED when I had it turned down for the seedlings. Optimizing temperature and humidity is a never ending battle without the right equipment. Next time I'm getting a humidifier with a humidity setting and a timer that can out the exhaust fan on intervals.

So here are the pics taken half an hour ago.
I'm not inserting full images, only thumbnails, I figured it can be annoying for someone (like me), who doesn't have unlimited mobile internet connection to waste 15-20MB of data loading all the pictures, when viewing a thread. So sorry for that. :D

She is 2 weeks old today. According to the data sheet of the seed, she should start to flower in not more than 4 weeks, so she is halfway through her vegetation.
What dou you think?

Attachments

• DSC_8434.jpg
    DSC_8434.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC_8436.jpg
    DSC_8436.jpg
    219.6 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC_8437.jpg
    DSC_8437.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC_8438.jpg
    DSC_8438.jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 50
  • DSC_8439.jpg
    DSC_8439.jpg
    544.6 KB · Views: 54
I'm not experienced enough to comment on your question but I do know that the plants keep on growing during flower.

I saw a journal with 12/12 right from seed and it got decent size still.

I think they just start slow and then the growth compounds. More roots more leaves .... etc. Gets exponentially faster. I wouldn't worry about it's size.

Back
Top Bottom