Wonderland Grow

AliceGG

Hey everyone! :cool:

This will be my first grow, and my first grow journal. I'll provide a little background info and my plans for this grow right now, and I hope I can keep this thread updated frequently.
I learnt a lot about growing in the last few weeks, but of course, I still have a ton of foggy parts in my head. I'd be very thankful if some of you, who have a little free time, could help me out when I see obstacles in my way.

My original idea was to go with 4 plants, but after reviewing my current possibilities, I decided to have only one plant for this grow, and give all the care I can to this one lady.
The grow space will be a 2×2 Secret Jardin tent with a cheap "800W" Roleadro led light, that actually draws ~190W from the wall. I'm guessing a small 150-180m3/h exhaust fan will be enough with a 300m3/h carbon filter and 1 or 2 small, clippable oscillating fans, though I'm not sure about it, haven't ordered them yet. Later down the road, I'll be ordering Ona gel too, since covering the smell will be a key factor for me to succeed.
I put the seed in a glass of water, then into paper towels ~40 hours ago, this morning I noticed the first taproot has already appeared. The seed will go to a RootRiot cube in the afternoon. My soil is Plagron Lightmix, with 4l and 15l fabric pots. Another thing I haven't decided about yet, is whether I should pot in into the 3l one and uppot later or just put the cube right into the final container. It's an auto strain, and many people suggesting not to uppot autos, but on the other hand, there are definitely advantages of it too. We'll see, I have a few days left to think about it.
I ordered BioBizz Grow and my plan is to go exclusively with the BioBizz line for this grow. I'll definiely get Bloom and probably TopMax, but I don't know about the others. As for training, LST seems to be quite easy if one does it carefully, so I'll try it and at the moment I don't have any further plans to train my plant.
The strain is Royal AK Automatic from Royal Queen Seeds (info below), I also have two more seeds of this strain and a Royal Jack Auto and a Northern Light, all from RQS. If this one succeeds, I'll go for a 4 plant grow in a probably bigger tent.

:peace: Royal AK Auto :peace:
  • THC: 15%
  • CBD: Low
  • Yield Indoor : 425 - 475 gr/m2
  • Yield Outdoor: 110 - 160 gr/plant
  • Height Indoor: 60 - 70 cm
  • Height Outdoor: 70 - 100 cm
  • Flowering time: 5 - 7 weeks
  • Harvest Month: 9-10 weeks after sprouting
  • Genetic Background: AK 47 x Ruderalis
  • Type: Sativa 35% Indica 40% Ruderalis 25%
  • Effect: Happy and active
  • Flavor: Spices, Sour
  • Climate: Cold
So this was a brief introduction, I'll post pictures a bit later.
Please, share your thoughts if you have any, everyone is welcome!
;):green_heart:

Great to see you getting started. Secret Jardin does everything right as far as tents go. The Roleadro should provide enough light for your tent. I don't see anything to worry about.

As you are already thinking of your next tent, I'm going to suggest that you go for a taller version. Tents up to five feet tall are best used for seedlings, clones, veg, and ScrOGs. You lose about 9" for your light and space above it for cooling. You lose at least 18" between the light and canopy, and then about a foot for your containers. If you add a carbon filter, you'll lose another eight or more inches. It doesn't leave much room for the plants to grow. This is the reason I upgraded to a 2' x 4' x 7' - 8' Gorilla clone from my five foot tall tent.

Great to see you getting started. Secret Jardin does everything right as far as tents go. The Roleadro should provide enough light for your tent. I don't see anything to worry about.

As you are already thinking of your next tent, I'm going to suggest that you go for a taller version. Tents up to five feet tall are best used for seedlings, clones, veg, and ScrOGs. You lose about 9" for your light and space above it for cooling. You lose at least 18" between the light and canopy, and then about a foot for your containers. If you add a carbon filter, you'll lose another eight or more inches. It doesn't leave much room for the plants to grow. This is the reason I upgraded to a 2' x 4' x 7' - 8' Gorilla clone from my five foot tall tent.
Welcome Old Salt. ;)

Well, it might have sounded like that, but I haven't ordered the tent yet, I thought I'll order it next week. So you got me thinking, maybe the 140cm (not even 5ft) tent won't be enough. These are the dimensions I can choose from:

HS40 - 40x40x120
HS60 - 60x60x140
HS80 - 80x80x160
HS100 - 100x100x200
HS120 - 120x120x200

Do you think that +20cm would matter much if I go for the HS80 or should I get the HS100 or HS120 without thinking? Moneywise, the HS60 is about half the price of the HS120, but it's also only one fourth of floorspace.

Welcome Old Salt. ;)

Well, it might have sounded like that, but I haven't ordered the tent yet, I thought I'll order it next week. So you got me thinking, maybe the 140cm (not even 5ft) tent won't be enough. These are the dimensions I can choose from:

HS40 - 40x40x120
HS60 - 60x60x140
HS80 - 80x80x160
HS100 - 100x100x200
HS120 - 120x120x200

Do you think that +20cm would matter much if I go for the HS80 or should I get the HS100 or HS120 without thinking? Moneywise, the HS60 is about half the price of the HS120, but it's also only one fourth of floorspace.

It will be your setup, so it's your choice. Here is a peek inside my tent today, four weeks after I flipped these Crown Royales to flower. The bottom of the light is 63" or 1.6m above the floor. Note that the tallest cola is only three inches or 7.5 cm below the light.

full

Inside the 7' (2.13m) Tall Tent. The Light is 63" or 1.6m from the Floor
Another consideration when buying your tent is its depth. If it's too deep you won't be able to reach the back for training and pruning, unless you can work inside the tent or access the plants from the rear. This is why I stayed with the two foot deep tents. I may build a deeper closet for growing, but it won't be more than 2-1/2 ft deep.

I think the way you've outlined this grow is ideal for a first timer. I know there was mention of a taller tent, and while I do agree, for an auto plant you'll be fine.

I have grown auto's a few times, and just recently help with a friend's first grow and I would advise strongly against up-potting. My advice is to begin in a 3gl pot, as the main goal of growing autos is to stay out of their way. I look at it like this; autos have a finite lifespan, and every bit of stress we put on the plant takes away from the clock. Something's are worth the cost of time, and others aren't, I would put up-potting in the no benefit category.

@Emilya has a great tutorial on how to water, and I think it's a perfect fit with autos. If you water in the fashion laid out in the tutorial, you'll get the roots reaching from the word go.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm excited to see this journey, an watch your successes. Be open minded and listen to the community knowing we all want the best result for you. Mind you many of us have different methods, and you need to find your own, but at the end of the day there's weed wisdom in every comment.

"Peace, Love & THC" - FL

Moss.

Another consideration when buying your tent is its depth. If it's too deep you won't be able to reach the back for training and pruning, unless you can work inside the tent or access the plants from the rear. This is why I stayed with the two foot deep tents. I may build a deeper closet for growing, but it won't be more than 2-1/2 ft deep.
Probably a stupid question, but can't I just pull the plants out from the tent for a few minutes, do what I want with them and put them back to their place?
With only one plant, this won't be an issue, but I might have to consider it later.

I think the way you've outlined this grow is ideal for a first timer. I know there was mention of a taller tent, and while I do agree, for an auto plant you'll be fine.

I have grown auto's a few times, and just recently help with a friend's first grow and I would advise strongly against up-potting. My advice is to begin in a 3gl pot, as the main goal of growing autos is to stay out of their way. I look at it like this; autos have a finite lifespan, and every bit of stress we put on the plant takes away from the clock. Something's are worth the cost of time, and others aren't, I would put up-potting in the no benefit category.

@Emilya has a great tutorial on how to water, and I think it's a perfect fit with autos. If you water in the fashion laid out in the tutorial, you'll get the roots reaching from the word go.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm excited to see this journey, an watch your successes. Be open minded and listen to the community knowing we all want the best result for you. Mind you many of us have different methods, and you need to find your own, but at the end of the day there's weed wisdom in every comment.

"Peace, Love & THC" - FL

Moss.

Hey there Moss, welcome. ;)

I've read Emiliya's tutorial earlier, it did make a lot of sense, though it was almost a bit too artistic for a beginner like me :D
Anyways, I'll skip the 3l pot, and put her right into the 15l one, my goal for this grow should be to keep everything as simple as I can, and just see what can I get for the first time.
I can use the smaller pots for my cactuses, they've overgrown their little cups months ago and I didn't care much about them :rolleyes:

The taproot hasn't grown even a tiny bit since yesterday in the paper towel, I wanted to wait for putting it in the cube at least until the root's length equals to the size of the seed, but I think I'll just put it to the cube today. Maybe she'd enjoy that environment more, it seems she doesn't like the paper that much.

Probably a stupid question, but can't I just pull the plants out from the tent for a few minutes, do what I want with them and put them back to their place?
With only one plant, this won't be an issue, but I might have to consider it later.
It depends on how you grow your plants, and your physical condition. Large plants are awkward to move, and subject to breakage. If plant yoyos are used or the plants grow through a screen it becomes next to impossible. Some of us have bad backs, or other medical conditions that make it difficult. It's just another item to consider when putting together a grow space.

I see. Fortunately, my back is still fine, but it's a good tip to keep in mind.
I think I'm gonna get the 80×80×160 tent, I might even be enough for 4 smaller plants for my next grow.

In the meantime, I've put my seed with the tiny taproot into the RootRiot cube, put the cube into a plastic cup and surrounded it with the Plagron soil to keep it fixed in the middle of the cup. I'll leave my home for a day, the cube is now soaking. I cut a 2l plastic coke bottle in half and placed it on the cup as a propagator. Do you think I can leave it alone for a day? I've also heard they should be in darkness for 6 hours, but I just don't get it, there's darkness underground. I've also poured some soil on the top of the cube just to be sure it's totally dark down there.

The setup looks like this:

edit: Well, it's a bit hard to see the cube, but it's there in the soil :D

I use a 4x4 and I just slide the plants out to deal with them...and I use 26L pots. There is no issue for the plants to get moved around.

One piece of advice I would add is to run 2x autos if you have the seeds and space....if there is an issue with one you always have the other. It doesn't matter that you already started one...just drop another and add her to the party. Having 2x will also show you how even the same strain can behave differently.

:goodluck:

7 plants in a 4x4...crowded (and temporary) but manageable.

I use a 4x4 and I just slide the plants out to deal with them...and I use 26L pots. There is no issue for the plants to get moved around.

One piece of advice I would add is to run 2x autos if you have the seeds and space....if there is an issue with one you always have the other. It doesn't matter that you already started one...just drop another and add her to the party. Having 2x will also show you how even the same strain can behave differently.

:goodluck:

7 plants in a 4x4...crowded (and temporary) but manageable.

Welcome! ;)

Those plants do look beautiful together! I guess this is a huge advantage of autos, you dont have to worry about light cycling, so you can just put different strains with different growth phases into the same tent.

By the way, I was thinking about the same yesterday. If I order the 80×80 tent, I'm not sure that one plant (given that she's auto) could fill up the whole space. What do you think I should put next to this AK Auto? I have 3 different strains, all three have the same flowering time, according to the RQS site. AK Auto, Jack Herer Auto and Northern Light Auto. If I'm not mistaken, the Northern Light grows significantly higher (like +20-30cm), which could be a disaster if I indeed go with that tent with its 160cm height.

Welcome! ;)

Those plants do look beautiful together! I guess this is a huge advantage of autos, you dont have to worry about light cycling, so you can just put different strains with different growth phases into the same tent.

By the way, I was thinking about the same yesterday. If I order the 80×80 tent, I'm not sure that one plant (given that she's auto) could fill up the whole space. What do you think I should put next to this AK Auto? I have 3 different strains, all three have the same flowering time, according to the RQS site. AK Auto, Jack Herer Auto and Northern Light Auto. If I'm not mistaken, the Northern Light grows significantly higher (like +20-30cm), which could be a disaster if I indeed go with that tent with its 160cm height.
Ignore what the breeders says about flowering times...they are approximations at best. The plant will be done, under your circumstances, when you say it is done. And yes, that is why I grow autos in a tent...I use 18/6 and cycle in new plants to take the spots of those that are soon to be harvested. If you are paying for the light to be running, best to maximize it with more plants :)

So, I would grow any of those autos you have together. If you are concerned about height then just top them...which is easy and I do it to most of my autos. Another option is to just raise the shorter plants to the height of the highest.

So I finally got back home. Yesterday, before I left, I put another Royal AK seed to paper towels, and gladly, she pushed out her first root in just one day. I was a bit worried, because this seed was way smaller then the others, though it was the same genetic-wise. I mean even from a distance I was able to see that this is a tiny little seed compared to the others, but it germinated, so I guess everything is ok with her. I put her into the cube too, surrounded with soil and gave her a good watering.
Well, the other one is still undeground, I don't know what to say. Do you think she's still alive? She's been in the cube for 2 days now. The cube itself is quite wet, so I didn't water it today.

If you are concerned about height then just top them...which is easy and I do it to most of my autos. Another option is to just raise the shorter plants to the height of the highest.
I heard that topping is not ideal for autos due to the stress it causes. But looking at your plants, I'm like :eek::adore:
If you managed to get those buds with topping, I think I have to change my mind.

I heard that topping is not ideal for autos due to the stress it causes
Never had any issues with 20+ topped autos.

Do you think she's still alive? She's been in the cube for 2 days now. The cube itself is quite wet, so I didn't water it today.
I've waited 7+ days for a plant to pop so be patient....warm temps (75-85F) help the process. Don't overwater at this point...the seed will rot in the wet soil.

Sadly, not much to update today. Both seeds are still underground.
The cubes are wet, I'm wondering how long they keep the moisture. I've just taken off the half coke bottles (aka propagators) from them, because probably they didn't get enough air, I've read that it can be a problem. I also gave them a little watering with pure tapwater from the wall. I had a few bottles of really-really old tapwater in my kitchen, my mom gave it to me when I still had other plants (my cats ate all of them:D), and said that they like it better than fresh tapwater.
Now I thought maybe that water is not that good in the end, I mean it's sitting there for like a year now.
It's evening here right now, I'm going to bed in 5 hours. Should I put the propagator bottles back for the night or should I leave them open a bit? Could it be that I already killed them due to not letting enough fresh air in? I know I need patience, but all I want is seeing them pop out from the cube, it's a bit frustrating to just wait and guess if they're still alive :oops:

Sadly, not much to update today. Both seeds are still underground.
The cubes are wet, I'm wondering how long they keep the moisture. I've just taken off the half coke bottles (aka propagators) from them, because probably they didn't get enough air, I've read that it can be a problem. I also gave them a little watering with pure tapwater from the wall. I had a few bottles of really-really old tapwater in my kitchen, my mom gave it to me when I still had other plants (my cats ate all of them:D), and said that they like it better than fresh tapwater.
Now I thought maybe that water is not that good in the end, I mean it's sitting there for like a year now.
It's evening here right now, I'm going to bed in 5 hours. Should I put the propagator bottles back for the night or should I leave them open a bit? Could it be that I already killed them due to not letting enough fresh air in? I know I need patience, but all I want is seeing them pop out from the cube, it's a bit frustrating to just wait and guess if they're still alive :oops:

Warmth, a bit of light and moisture.... and a heck of a lot patience. They're likely just fine.

Warmth, a bit of light and moisture.... and a heck of a lot patience. They're likely just fine.

Do I need light?
They haven't popped, but would they go towards the light source or something like that? I mean they're not in darkness, but right now it's only natural light coming from the window that they get. I can put a desklamp over them if that helps.

Btw, thanks for the support both of you. :Namaste::green_heart:

Do I need light?
They haven't popped, but would they go towards the light source or something like that? I mean they're not in darkness, but right now it's only natural light coming from the window that they get. I can put a desklamp over them if that helps.

Btw, thanks for the support both of you. :Namaste::green_heart:

They certainly need light, but not a ton of it. I use a 60w led bulb that’s about 12” above my cubes. It works for me, and everyone has their method, but a source of light is important.

I also keep my seedlings under light for 24hrs until the second node, again others will do it differently but that’s my method.

Support is what this community was founded on, so I’m happy you feel supported!

Be patient like blew and moss have said! All the magic is going on underneath right now... I’m not sure what the others will suggest but I always put my freshly planted seeds directly into the veg closet under the light on 18/6.. then I use a spray bottle on mist to keep the top of the soil damp and wait... and wait... and then the little seed will be growing you out of the tent before you know it! Lol

I’ll stick around to watch if you don’t mind :passitleft:

Back
Top Bottom