Wonderland Grow

Just caught up and wow I've missed quite abit, your plants are looking good mate I just hope you get to the bottom of the bug problem.

Ok, I'm pretty sure the flying things are either winged black aphids or fungus gnats. I don't know what happened but in these few hours they somehow multiplied. I now have a lot of them flying around, and I've also seen 7-8 of them running around on the reflective material on the bottom of my tent. I will have to do my research now, it really would be a pain in the *** seeing them take over the tent.
I don't know about the brown guy yet, but these gnats are first priority now. :rolleyes:

I ran into this information the other day. Maybe it can help. I just posted it for another grower.

Just caught up and wow I've missed quite abit, your plants are looking good mate I just hope you get to the bottom of the bug problem.
Hey, thank you Tomuk!
I really hope so too!
I ran into this information the other day. Maybe it can help. I just posted it for another grower.
Thanks Sly, they have a section about fungus gnats under "Houseplant Pests".
What I got so far is that I have to buy a lot of yellow sticky traps tomorrow and lay it on the surface of the soil.

What do you guys think about neem oil? It's quite expensive here, does it worth the price?

If they're "running around" they're not aphids-aphids move extremely slowly...so it's a"good thing"
that they're only gnats,which are mainly just annoying-especially when they fly into your mouth.
If you've got to have a pest,gnats are pretty benign compared to aphids...

Use alcohol and water mixed 1:9 for foliar
You mean pure (96%) alcohol, right?
I will try that!
If they're "running around" they're not aphids-aphids move extremely slowly...so it's a"good thing"
that they're only gnats,which are mainly just annoying-especially when they fly into your mouth.
If you've got to have a pest,gnats are pretty benign compared to aphids...
Really? It's good to hear that. I don't know if they can bite, but my left hand, which I leaned on when I inspected the plants got a few itchy spots after I left the room.
I've also read that sand helps a lot. Should I lay a layer of sand on the top of the soil?

I've never used sand,although I've heard it does work-just seems like it might be a pain in the butt
when watering,but I don't know for sure.
Gnats don't bite,but they don't stay in the grow room either-you'll start finding them on all the windows throughout the house pretty soon.
If you use the sand,it should clean them up fairly quickly-the adults can't get to the soil to lay eggs,and if
eggs already in the soil hatch,they can't get out of the soil to buzz around the room-You'll just have to wait for the adults to die off-3 or 4 days would be my guess...
Or you could try the dunks,but it'll take about two weeks for the gnats to slowly fade away...

Gnats don't bite,but they don't stay in the grow room either-you'll start finding them on all the windows throughout the house pretty soon.
Oh, yes. I already see them everywhere. :D
Gnats are weak flyers so point a fan at soil level and they can't land to lay eggs.
That's what I did intuitively, the only problem is, air hardly even get down there, because the canopies cover the pots fully. If any new grower reads it in the future: it's good to fill up your pots, so you don't run into problems like this. When I started this grow, I had these two 15l clothpots, so I though 25l lightmix and 5l perlite would fill them up nicely. Somehow it's not how it works actually. Both of my pots are only filled up about 3/4 of their height. When the light goes off, the big fanleaves on the sides tend to "rest" on the sides of the pots for this reason.

Now let's see a few pics, I took a lot today.

I took off this one today. It turned out that most of the spots and the yellowing was indeed on the area where it received direct light. The smaller blades were still quite green.
DSC_8671.jpg

DSC_8672.jpg

One of my two cats went crazy when smelling the leaf. He rioted hard to get it back, but no-no, no leaf for you sweetie.
DSC_8670.jpg

A "path" on one of Jack's leaves. I'm pretty sure it was a leaf miner after seeing that video.
DSC_8684.jpg

I also spotted this kind of damage on Jack.
Any idea? It's like something chewed these leaves.
DSC_8687.jpg

DSC_8688.jpg

DSC_8691.jpg

Jack Herer under the blurple 20 minutes ago:
DSC_8685.jpg
DSC_8686.jpg

And both of them when the light was off:
DSC_8677.jpg

Pics of the bugs in the next post.

This is the small brown one I found on the very top of the plant. It looks like a kind of flea.
DSC_8674.jpg
DSC_8675.jpg
DSC_8703.jpg
DSC_8704.jpg

And this is the one I think is a gnat. I really couldn't get a better picture after a lot of tries. The glass it's in is a 40ml shot glass, just for size comparison.
DSC_8702.jpg

There are a lot of pistils on the AK, but still no real buds.
DSC_8693.jpg

Two group photos:
DSC_8695.jpg
DSC_8705.jpg

And finally, this leaf from Jack. I took this one off too, and it turned out it was the one I saw the leaf miner damage, when the plant was only a few days old.
DSC_8707.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_8697.jpg
    DSC_8697.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 22
Let's see yes that's leaf miner damage, the deficiency is for for calcium. Not sure about the brown and the flying bug really doesn't look like a gnat. I'd start spraying good so things don't get out of hand.

Get 99% iso if you can and mix per Penny’s instructions. Spray down everything. If you are using the alcohol I highly suggest wearing a mask with the right filters on it. I nearly offed myself the first time I sprayed.

Sand might be the easier method. Or do both. I couldn’t get neem oil at a reasonable price which is why I was using iso to get rid of thrips. Still have a couple ha I guess around they are super annoying. I’m going to spray again today myself. Tomorrow going to see if I can track down some lady bugs. They eat 50 aphids a day.

I don't know what that bug is-is there only the one so far?
I agree with @Pennywise -that other bug doesn't look like a gnat-it's a little too big,looks
more like a small fly- are they all that size?

Get 99% iso if you can and mix per Penny’s instructions. Spray down everything. If you are using the alcohol I highly suggest wearing a mask with the right filters on it. I nearly offed myself the first time I sprayed.

Sand might be the easier method. Or do both. I couldn’t get neem oil at a reasonable price which is why I was using iso to get rid of thrips. Still have a couple ha I guess around they are super annoying. I’m going to spray again today myself. Tomorrow going to see if I can track down some lady bugs. They eat 50 aphids a day.
I could order 99% iso, but that's a few days to arrive. I'll see if I can get it somewhere this afternoon.

I don't know what that bug is-is there only the one so far?
I agree with @Pennywise -that other bug doesn't look like a gnat-it's a little too big,looks
more like a small fly- are they all that size?
Yes, there's only this one of the brownish one so far.
Are you sure it's too big? I mean it's about 2mm (1/10 inch).
Wikipedia pictures them about this size.
Fungus gnat - Wikipedia

I checked the link,and you're right....maybe yours are a different type of soil gnat?
Because the ones I get are little tiny things,like 1mm long or even a little less.

Or maybe the ones I've had are just sickly little buggers...:)

edit* not saying if you have gnats or not, but if you did

I used sand to help get rid of my fungus gnats. Makes it a pain for the adults to get down to the soil. 2" worth. I did that, maybe a bit thicker, in 2 huge 32 gallon bins. That was some work. But worth it. Then I killed the fungus gnat larvae with a water / hydrogen peroxide solution. Watered twice I think with that.

Didn't have much of a problem after that. There were a few but...I had 200 litres of soil going. Could have been a nightmare.

I picked my sand up at Home Depot. kids playground sand or something. Also put a fan blowing over the sand. Adults hate that too.

And there was zero issue watering. made it easy. Filters right down. Slow water, you can see where it goes, it made my watering easier. But again...huge bins.

Back
Top Bottom