Wonderland Grow

I grow indoors in organic soil. Same soil too for the last several years.

Only control really is the genetics I choose. Thats fine with me I don't like to mess with my plants much and just let them grow naturally.

I use malted barley ground fine and add it to my soil as an amendment at up-pot with EWC and Mycos.

Malted barley speeds up finish time 10-15% which is big. 50-60 day plants can finish flowering in 45 days. I get that regularly for Indica mix and Sativa 90 days will finish in 75 days.
Thanks for the tip Bob. How much malted barley do you use?

Hi Alice, better late than never. Very exciting journal you're running here. Your plants are going to be fine with all the super help here and you're on the ball with everything! I enjoy auto growing though I have none at the moment. There's a link to the life cycle of auto's in my sig. area. If you haven't seen it already it sheds light on timing of things. Good growing!

Hi Salty, Never heard of a duct silencer. What's that?

It's a cylinder lined with egg crate acoustic foam.

full

Duct Silencer

full

Inside the Duct Sliencer

Hey people!
I was a bit absent from my own journal since Tuesday, but here I am with an update. I usually don't like to write few-word-posts here, and that sometimes results in not writing anything at all.
Never mind, let's see the progress. I only brought one pic for this post, hopefully I'll upload more in the evening.

It's how my girls look like, taken a few minutes ago.
The AK put out a lot of buds, the only question is, how much they will fatten up. If she progresses normally, then I'm kind of fine with her quantity-wise, taking into consideration all the mistakes I've done.
Jack is definitely smaller, that's not a surprise. She is a week younger, and according to their datasheet, she should be shorter and not that heavy yielder too. I don't think I've ever written anything about their actual height in this journal. Since both of them pretty much done with stretching, here are the numbers.

Royal Jack Automatic
Expected height: 40-80 cm indoors
Current height: 51cm from soil level

Royal AK Automatic
Expected height: 60-70 cm indoors
Current height: 70 cm from soil level

I can say that the provided numbers were quite precise.
What I realized at this stage is that I should have done a lot more training with Jack to maximize her yielding potential. Her leaves are huge, they block a lot of light, and the plant didn't stretch that much, so now most of her branches have only a small nug at the top. Not like the AK, her branches are long with a lot of lower budsites. I'm expecting to see the AK yield somewhere between 4 to 5 times more than Jack. We'll see if that's the case.

The webshop didn't mail the calmag in time, due to a "logistic mistake", so I have to wait for tomorrow to get it. The brown spots continued to spread on the AK. Fortunately, not at a crazy rate, so I'm calm now, she will get her feeding tomorrow, and everything will be fine.

In the meantime, I've trained Jack as much as I could (photos later), spread out her branches. I managed to break off the nicest looking branch while doing this training, that was a painful sound, like CRACK. But she is a strong little plant, I wired it back tightly, and she took it like nothing happened. It was 5 days ago, now I'm safe to say that she healed it completely.

/
My father just called me, I got to go, but I'll be back with more tonight! :green_heart:

Looking good,Alice-
Wow- that one cola on the AK seems to have a mind
of it's own,looks determined to get up to that light...

Thanks for the tip Bob. How much malted barley do you use?

When I up-pot to final container I add in about a 1/4 cup to the hole and mix in with EWC and mycos. Also add about the same to the soil at seedling up-pot.

You can scratch in as a top dress and water in as well. It fires up the micro-herd.

Alice we break branches. It's much more effective that "topping".

The plants get on no problems. This happens frequently out doors so plants have learned how to manage it without a lot of stress.

Here's one I cracked. I regularly do this with plants that get unruly. They dont even skip a beat. If you crack a stem and its sorta dangling like its about to fall off, a little tape holds it together for a day until she fixes it. You can see the fix in this pic under the stem there's a sort of bulge - she repaired her vascular system there.

Alice....? What's up in wonderland.?..You're missed around here,hope
everything's ok with you...:straightface:

Good to hear from you,Alice...we were getting worried,glad you're ok,look forward to the pics

Get some sleep,we'll see you a little later!

We get worried a little when we don't hear from our 420 friends!

Glad all it well.

Good to hear you are up... not really 40 hrs up but up is good.

I guess the sun has been up almost all night and day this time of year! Woot

So hey everyone!
It is very heart-warming to see that you guys miss me from here! :circle-of-love:
I'm back, and I can tell you, there are a lot of things to talk about. I'm now in the office, while I finish this post it will be time to go home, so I'm not getting into too much details now, I'll write a longer post with pics ( :snowboating: ) in the evening.

Jack Herer was chopped down 2 days ago, she was 13 weeks old at that time. She is the best high of my life so far, I've been sampling her for the last two weeks. She yielded a lot more than I expected. All of her top buds (which she had 16! excluding the top cola) on her branches fattened up a lot. She was a real beauty throughout this grow, hardly showing any kind of nutrient dosage problems. Even in her last days, like a gentle, old lady, she just faded away around her bottom fan leaves. The branches are now drying, and yes, I realized I don't know much about drying. I made a middle size cartoon box drying resort with small holes on opposite sides. I guess it should be ok, temps are quite high, between 27-30° most of the time, haven't gone below 25° for two weeks now, I believe. The Rh isn't perfect either, swinging between 45-55%, so far from extremes, fortunately.

What about the AK? Well, she is 14 weeks and 2 days old now, and counting. I planned to harvest both plants at their peak potency, which is mostly cloudy trichomes with minimal amber, and possibly minimal clear ones. About 10% of her trichomes are amber, but she blows out new white hairs almost daily, I can't get myself to harvest her when she is trying this hard. Her colas are quite thick, but on a closer look, they are airy, which is the main reason I still let her live. I think it's called foxtailing what's happening to her. A lot of long but tiny "flowers" sticking out from the colas. These "buds" will never be that dense and phisically heavy like the ones from Jack. But I hope that these few extra days will help her put up some additional weight. Her flowers are definitely smokeable, it's just the aesthetics that also matter to some extent.

Let's see a few pictures.
Jack with most of her fan leaves removed, minutes before cutting her down. What a beauty she is. Those nugs are really fat and dense, and her smell has a citrusy aroma. May she rest in peace (in my lungs, actually), I feel like I want to grow her once again some time.
I "sampled down" two of her branches in the last few weeks, she could yield even more if I'm a bit more patient.
DSC_8979.jpg

Then here's my monster AK from today. Yes, those colas are thick indeed. I can't really say that she is a strain I would like to grow again, though I still have an AK seed, so there's definitely a place for her future sister in my next grow. In these last 6 weeks (since the calmag issues arrived) she was a nutrient hungry, fading, burning little lady. I think more than half of her leaves were actually lost due to brown spots everywhere, and she still has them up to this day.
Also, she is more than 14 weeks old, still putting out pistils, that's a bit far from the expected 9-10 weeks of life cycle.
DSC_8989.jpg

Hi Alice, better late than never. Very exciting journal you're running here. Your plants are going to be fine with all the super help here and you're on the ball with everything! I enjoy auto growing though I have none at the moment. There's a link to the life cycle of auto's in my sig. area. If you haven't seen it already it sheds light on timing of things. Good growing!
Before I forget, welcome here @stoneotter! It took me a month to greet you, but better late than never. :cool:
I did read that thread you mentioned, way back when I started growing. It was a good read, though now I think my autos behaved somewhat different than what I expected.

This is it for today, it's over midnight again, and I have to sleep. But be sure I'm coming back with more pics, I've taken a lot in these weeks.

I hope all of you are doing great, happy growing to everyone! :green_heart:

Back
Top Bottom