Wonderland Grow

Hey there!

Yesterday I thought I would cut down the AK, she's had enough. I should have done a bit more preparation...

Harvesting of Jack took me about 4 hours, but I wasn't in hurry then, I took some pics, inspected the plant, did the trimming calmly. To be honest, the leaf to calyx ratio was so low on Jack that I really only had to remove the fan leaves and a few larger sugar leaves from the buds, and I was done. I didn't remove the tiny, sticky ones because I couldn't reach them between the buds, and anyways they were so sticky, that, for me, they qualify as smokeable parts. I pinched the tips of the leaves though, so what's left are buds and small leaves completely covered in resin.

Now it's a different story with the AK. The plant is insane, full of sugar leaves, most of them tucked deep into the buds. Apart from the main cola, she had 4 quite long and 2 shorter branches. Working on it for almost 3 hours yesterday, I finished with one long and one of the shorter colas. I can't help but literally, phisically hurt the buds if I want to reach the stems of some of her sugar leaves. I'm not talking about the tiny ones, I don't even try to trim them, it's only the longer leaves that I try to remove. So I ended up pausing it because the night came on me, but I will finish it up tonight. Being in the office again, I don't have pics, but the longer cola that I already harvested was about 35cm long, mostly full of buds. I've cut down each bud separately, and hung them that way. I know it would be optimal to hang whole branches, not buds, but I'm a bit scared of mould. In fact, many of her buds had totally brown, "dead" sugar leaves on their inner side. Not inside the buds, but rather on the side which touched other buds and the stem. I'm not sure if I'm describing it clearly, so where separate buds (grown from opposite side leaves of the same set) touched each other, in those areas I found these brown leaves. What does that mean? I didn't find anything like it on Jack, though she was a completely different plant in every possible ways.
Temps are around 24-28°C and rh is mostly below 50%. Should I be concerned about mould or bud rot? I have to mention that I already saw and removed a lot of these dead sugar leaves in the last 2 weeks, while the plant was still alive.

While I was writing this post, my boveda packs arrived. Finally. I'll put them into the jars of Jack when I get home, then I'll continue harvesting the AK. Hopefully, I can finish it tonight. Pics later!

Until then, have a great day everyone! :green_heart:

I found these brown leaves. What does that mean?
Be sure to get rid of all the brown if you can when you trim- brown is not a color you want to see on the bud,it can,unfortunately ,be an indicator of rot.
As long as the brown isn't also inside the bud,you should be ok-you may have to open the bud up a little to check-if it is also inside the bud,you don't want to smoke the brown parts.

Be sure to get rid of all the brown if you can when you trim- brown is not a color you want to see on the bud,it can,unfortunately ,be an indicator of rot.
As long as the brown isn't also inside the bud,you should be ok-you may have to open the bud up a little to check-if it is also inside the bud,you don't want to smoke the brown parts.
Yes, that's what I'm doing. Halfway through it. I think those brown leaves, the ones that are sticky and wet, they didn't dry out actually, just got brown somehow. I have to make sure to get rid of them. Can it spread with spores? I may be concerned about it spreading to the buds too.

I may be concerned about it spreading to the buds too.
I don't think spreading will be a danger now that you're drying them,just be sure you have a little air circulation going in the drying area-IF it is rot,you will need to clean it all out on the affected buds,or it could ruin the entire bud.
You could spray some full strength (3%) peroxide on the buds with the brown leaves,to kill any fungus that may be lurking.
If it is bud rot,the brown leaves should have kind of a musty stink to them-they won't smell at all like they should-no cannabis smell,just a mild stink.

I don't think spreading will be a danger now that you're drying them,just be sure you have a little air circulation going in the drying area-IF it is rot,you will need to clean it all out on the affected buds,or it could ruin the entire bud.
You could spray some full strength (3%) peroxide on the buds with the brown leaves,to kill any fungus that may be lurking.
If it is bud rot,the brown leaves should have kind of a musty stink to them-they won't smell at all like they should-no cannabis smell,just a mild stink.

Now I actually don't think it was rot. On her thickest branch, she had 14 bigger buds with separate stems. After inspecting all of them thoroughly, I found out that every single bud covered one of these brown leaves. I think what went on was that the 15 week lifespan was too much for this plant, and she somehow started sucking out nutes from inner side sugar leaves too. Most of them were just plain dry, the ones that got strictly stuck in between buds were the ones that felt sticky.
I cut down all of her other branches yesterday, only the top cola left. That, by itself, will be at least 2 hours of work, it's huge. I hung the branches this time, didn't cut every buds separately. Instead, I gently pulled the buds further from the center of the branch, getting better air circulation between them. I can't wait to show you pictures! This plant is just insane.

In the meantime, I put some bovedas to the jars of Jack Herer. I'm blurping them daily, their fresh, "herbal" smell finally started to evaporate. If I leave a bud out for an hour or so, I can clearly smell her mild, lemony aroma. The high is clear and heady, though I don't smoke huge blunts, mostly joints with like 0.3g or so. I can imagine it would rip off my face, if I smoked a healthy amount. Will happen at some point, I'm afraid. :D

I'll have a busy weekend, but I can upload some pics on Sunday, hopefully.
Happy growing to all of you! :green_heart:

Congrats on your harvests.

Your flowers sound OK to me.

Sugars generally dont go brown unless there's an issue like pm/mold or you let her go too long.

You can see/smell the mold pretty easy so likely she maybe went too long. The AUTO plants sometimes do weird things like that tho so you should be fine.

I generally just trim the tips of the sugars or trim off the brown I can see. They puff just fine with sugar leaves in there. Its good that way. Just need to cure them a week or so in the Boveda packs you're good.

Back
Top Bottom