Working in NJ with a record?

whiteriot0906

420 Member
I got a job offer with a medical dispensary in the state, passed the first background check and am already being treated like an employee. However I have to go for fingerprinting for what I assume is a more thorough background check soon for state badging. I have a possession charge on my record from 2009. I've spent 2+ hours googling trying to figure out if this is going to disqualify me without finding a clear answer. I ended up diving into the NJ Administrative Code, and what it says is that there are no automatically disqualifying convictions and that the circumstances of your record will be taken into consideration.

I'm hoping that since NJ is now a rec state this won't be an issue. I'm currently working on getting my record expunged and wishing I'd done it sooner. I mentioned my record to a recruiter from this company who called about positions in PA prior to the offer I accepted, and she didn't mention anything about it being an issue in NJ. She seemed exasperated about why PA is so strict, and I briefly talked to her about pending applications I had in NJ. It gave me the impression that as long as the state gives it the okay the company doesn't care.

If anyone could help me out here I'd really appreciate it. I'm really excited to hopefully get this job.

I got a job offer with a medical dispensary in the state, passed the first background check and am already being treated like an employee. However I have to go for fingerprinting for what I assume is a more thorough background check soon for state badging. I have a possession charge on my record from 2009. I've spent 2+ hours googling trying to figure out if this is going to disqualify me without finding a clear answer. I ended up diving into the NJ Administrative Code, and what it says is that there are no automatically disqualifying convictions and that the circumstances of your record will be taken into consideration.

I'm hoping that since NJ is now a rec state this won't be an issue. I'm currently working on getting my record expunged and wishing I'd done it sooner. I mentioned my record to a recruiter from this company who called about positions in PA prior to the offer I accepted, and she didn't mention anything about it being an issue in NJ. She seemed exasperated about why PA is so strict, and I briefly talked to her about pending applications I had in NJ. It gave me the impression that as long as the state gives it the okay the company doesn't care.

If anyone could help me out here I'd really appreciate it. I'm really excited to hopefully get this job.
Hello @whiteriot0906 hope you are well my friend.
I have no idea how to answer your question sorry.
I'm in Canada.
I just wanted to say good luck. Hopefully everything goes well for you.
Let us know how you make out when you get a chance.
Bill

It is my understanding that unless you can get the conviction expunged, you can't be hired with a marijuana conviction. It all comes down to the charge. I have a dealing charge, within a school zone ( I was actually growing in a building within 500 ft. of a school) and can't get that expunged. So I left the state 20 years ago, and am making more money than I had ever hoped growing for the black market. N.J. sucks, one of the worst states there is- high taxes, terrible traffic, "old" housing, bad school systems, dick police, etc., etc. Leaving was the best move I ever made.

Back
Top Bottom