Worms in soil from castings?

LizC

I am in mid-week #8 and just flushed my 3 plants. While dumping the run-off, I noticed what looked like 2 dead small worms (could have sworn 1 moved). I have been using worm castings as a top dressing and wondering if there could be eggs that developed into worms within my soil. I purchased the castings. Has this ever happened to anyone? Woot woot if they are in there, eh?

Im researching worm composting now in prep for spring grow. The marketing info says there will be eggs and babies in the the mix when it comes. I dont know how they could remove them from the castings so Im not surprised you hatched a couple. I think its good they are in with the plant.

I rely a lot on @Blew Hiller for worm info so perhaps he'll chime in.

What nutrient line are you running? If you're flushing and I assume running synthetics then it's not from the EWC. I don't think so anyway.

What nutrient line are you running? If you're flushing and I assume running synthetics then it's not from the EWC. I don't think so anyway.
I'm a first time grower and yes, I used Advanced Nutrients PH Perfect 3 part nutes (hind sight and all that...) and also incorporated the castings. It's week 8 of flowering so I'm flushing with plain filtered water and a touch of molasses. Holy crapiola the Internet is full of so much info, some contradicting others, makes my head hurt. Molasses for sweetness. This is an experimental crop and yes I'm keeping a journal.

Interesting. Id assume being nitrogen rich that you'd have put the castings down kinda early. And, Advanced is a synthetic so it beats me. Not saying it's not possible it just seems weird. But, that's not unusual to hear something weird. Enjoy the harvest! Thanks for the feedback!

I am in mid-week #8 and just flushed my 3 plants. While dumping the run-off, I noticed what looked like 2 dead small worms (could have sworn 1 moved). I have been using worm castings as a top dressing and wondering if there could be eggs that developed into worms within my soil. I purchased the castings. Has this ever happened to anyone? Woot woot if they are in there. Before I raised my own worm's I'd get a few worms in the castings I purchased so a few get by the screening process

The eggs (really cocoons) are a different size (bigger) than the castings so they can be screened out by the maker, but not all of them do. The eggs look like little yellow (eventually turning a dark brown) balls.

When I harvest my castings I try to gather as many as I can and spread them around my various pots including houseplants and veggies. Each cocoon can have several worm babies in it.

Howdy yes when I was purchasing castings Id get a few worms in the bag but I take them out and put them in my bin because they won't survive in your containers not the right environment for them as far as putting cacoons in your containers I don't believe they'll even survive and if they do they won't be much benefit I use a 1/4" screen to screen my castings and whatever doesn't go through the screen goes back into the bin cacoons and all so they can multiply in my bin where they will be much more useful not to mention these are living creatures it's NOT FAIR to them to just stick them in a container composting worms only stay in the first couple inches of soil if you want worm's in your containers you need a vertical earth eating earthworm not composting worms hope this helps Good luck ✌️ Ron from Michigan

IMG_20230206_082521.jpg

IMG_20230206_082527.jpg

1/4 screen first then an 1/8 screen for my finished product
Wow - must be pretty dry to get it thru that 1/8" - If mine is a bit wet I run it thru 1/2" and mix that with shredded newspaper to dry out then run it thru the 1/4".

I shake mine I need to fix myself up with something like that!!
I had built a couple of shakers - but - the last one really didn't do a good job and NOISY - what a racket!!!!
This trommel is soooo quiet!!! The shaker made me tense and nervous!!! I have so much to run that doing it manually, well, it probably wouldn't get done!! :thedoubletake:
worms4-jpg.2483849

Back
Top Bottom