Wtf! Help before it spreads or gets worse!

Apexsmoker420

81B60D1A-3C08-4624-B56C-7A829F4E71FF.jpeg
4CC3BC68-77B7-4C5E-90EE-6448E0602C5E.jpeg
13C5C4D4-4111-4296-B52C-FBB7045B4808.jpeg

Just saw this today. One leaf is completely dried and dead and the tips of another are starting. Her and five others got their first feeding of 1/4 strength nutes with 3 ml calimagic 8 days ago. Yesterday they got ph'd R/O water with 5 ml calimagic 6.21 ppm 400. Anything else is in the journal in my signature!

Yikes! Was it right under the center of your light so it got light burned? (Wild guess--seems like surrounding leaves would be affected too.)

It would really help if you would answer all the questions in the How to Ask for Grow Help sticky, especially about nutes, lights, and temperature...

Sorry I was super busy last night! I have 2 600w his lights under 18-6 lighting, GH foralseries nutes at 1/4 strength 8 days before this picture. Temps and humidity hover around 89-90 degrees and 45-55%. CO2 is at 1500 ppm. She also had LST preformed on her 4 days ago

Also had the lights 22" from her and the rest. I moved the lights up last night, but temps were still low enough even with the lights 22" away

> temps were still low enough even with the lights 22” away
Like 89-90? That's really high.

I'm gonna guess very bright lights really close and high temperatures. And might you have damaged that leaf doing the LST? (I used to have have cheap gardening wire ties that would cut into soft new growth given a chance.)

I thought adding co2 made high temps bearable

Maybe? I don't have any experience with that, but I suspect not. I think I have heard and I would believe that it allows them to use more light.

I do know that adding CO2 is essentially adding what can be a growth-limiting nutrient: carbon. Plants get all of their carbon from CO2 in the atmosphere, so if they are growing really fast, a lack of CO2 can actually limit their growth.

People who have aquariums with aquatic plants have known for a long time that bubbling in a little CO2 can act like rocket fuel for plant growth. (Here's a link to info about adding CO2 to aquariums that has some info about tanks and such that may be relevant here: CO2 & the Planted Aquarium.)

"When a grow is able to utilize Co2, the increase of moisture in the plant gives it more resiliency. Plants can usually only survive in 70 degree temperatures, so with Co2 plants won't dry out as easily when maintained. That means your plants will be able to take a little more heat than it usually would and your plants will be better for it." Quoted from:
CO2 and You: The Benefits of Adding Carbon Dioxide To Your Grow | GrowAce

"When a grow is able to utilize Co2, the increase of moisture in the plant gives it more resiliency. Plants can usually only survive in 70 degree temperatures, so with Co2 plants won't dry out as easily when maintained. That means your plants will be able to take a little more heat than it usually would and your plants will be better for it." Quoted from:
CO2 and You: The Benefits of Adding Carbon Dioxide To Your Grow | GrowAce

Thanks for quoting the source. It looks like the author does have some practical experience with using CO2 in a grow and he posts a couple of photos, and that's valuable.

However, the fact that he doesn't know or can't be bothered to spell "CO2" correctly rings an alarm bell, and I can tell you as someone with a biology degree and who studied botany and has a lot of experience with CO2 augmentation that the following statement is is both unclear and incorrect.

"...plants have a certain amount of moisture and energy in their leaves at all times, and Co2 aids in bringing out that energy to help your plants thrive. By unlocking that stored energy, most growers agree that you will get about 20-30% more yield with an increased growing speed of at least 15%.​

Again, you don't have to be a plant physiology expert to have valuable information to share, but I'd take everything that author says with a big grain of salt...

Are you running that temperature on purpose? You would be doing your plants a favour if you could drop it 15 degrees or so.

With my setup being a sealed setup ( as sealed as possible anyways) that’s about what the temps are I actually have them down to about 85-87 unless I lower the a/c to cut electricity. I haven’t been worried about the temps because I’m keeping CO2 at 1500 ppm

> temps were still low enough even with the lights 22” away
Like 89-90? That's really high.

I'm gonna guess very bright lights really close and high temperatures. And might you have damaged that leaf doing the LST? (I used to have have cheap gardening wire ties that would cut into soft new growth given a chance.)

I agree the lights could have been to much but being I’m keeping CO2 levels around 1500 I’m cool with those temps. Either way it makes no sense that’s the only pair of leaves out of all the plants and they certainly weren’t the closest to the light. It’s possible I guess it could have gotten damaged while LST. I’m doubtful about that, I’m using the soft green ties and theirs not one near that area also the one leaf tips looking burnt. It’s just very odd

I agree the lights could have been to much but being I’m keeping CO2 levels around 1500 I’m cool with those temps. Either way it makes no sense that’s the only pair of leaves out of all the plants and they certainly weren’t the closest to the light. It’s possible I guess it could have gotten damaged while LST. I’m doubtful about that, I’m using the soft green ties and theirs not one near that area also the one leaf tips looking burnt. It’s just very odd

I love the soft green wire ties. :thumb:

I think your goofy leaves may have been just an anomaly of some sort. Weird, though.

Even if CO2 does have some mystical temperature-fighting properties (eh...) I still think that temperature should be lower...

Back
Top Bottom