The simple method would be to keep the tent cracked or open while the light is on so you can get the fresh cooler air flowing in to replace the hot. I've grown a couple plants entirely with HPS just to see the difference, and there is quite a noticeable difference in node spacing, the HPS grown plants were more lanky and ended up taller with fewer branches. If you can, get a MH bulb for the veg period.. It isn't needed, but will improve your grow.. You can always invest in it next time around.

One more note, HPS puts off much more heat than MH.. for example, my 600w HPS puts out 90k lumens and my 600w MH only puts out around 55k lumens, so there is a little less heat with MH bulbs.

MH = metal halide
So, do you think it will be worth it to spend the $$ on a MH bulb? If there is that much difference, then I'll need a seperate ballast, right? They tried to sell me both bulbs at the grow shop after I chose the hood and ballast(one-piece :(), so maybe I can use the MH bulb too? I plan on growing them out for about a month, then chopping off all the clones that I can and turning this into a 2L hempy grow with half the bottles coco, half perlite/vermiculite. The moms will be destroyed by this, as I have no second light to keep a mom vegging. Will the 4-6 weeks of veg plus 1 week in the cloner merit the investment? They will be defoliated once the hempy grow starts.

Get rid of the dome and get some air moving in there even if you need to leave the tent door open. Move the light all the way to the top then once they pop move it 6-8 inches closer every day.
Ok, thanks. Good info!

Just got home, and 3 of the 6 beans have popped thru the roof! one of them was even 1 of the original 6 that I thought were all cooked. One of them came thru doubled over, but above ground none the less. I now have the dome off, and a fan pointed directly at the girls, and the door open for the rest of the day cycle. I'm hoping they don't dry up, so I'm keeping the tray a little fuller of water. I'm still surprised that the rh is still at 37%. I didn't buy a fixture for the CFL, as they ran out at my local hardware store. Only 3 more posts 'till I can pm all you knowledgeable growers!! Back with pics in a few...

Sauron, I agree with most of the suggestions you've received above. 93*F is probably not too hot to germinate the seeds, but it's definately testing the limits of their temp tolerance once they sprout.

I'd remove the top "humidity dome" from the plastic container. Assuming you want humidity, cover it with plastic wrap and put some slits in the plastic with a knife for ventillation. You do want some air circulating inside the container.

Also, be careful not to overwater. If your medium is wet and you have them under a humidity dome, you most likely will not need to water until after the seeds sprout. :goodluck:

So, Here are some pics now that have the cam I forgot at work yesterday. First the seeds I fried> I had them in a zip-bag and paper towels on top of the cable box to heat them up, but I had neglected to temp out the cable box. after 4 days of no good roots, I checked the temp, and it got up to 105f. First is how it looked during the failed germination, the second is a shot of the 5 of 6 that didn't make it thru that. the one at the top llooks promising, but that root hasn't streched in days, while the rest were slightly cracked, and now are looking puss-filled(that's the white you see at the seam
2011-10-18_18_28_43.jpg

2011-10-26_18_48_54.jpg

I then used a magazine between the seeds and the cble box, and that temped out at 85-90f, so I felt good with that and taped the thermometer in place and made a new setup with a tiny tupperware container that worked great. popped all 4 of my leftovers from the 10 pack of feminized white widows, and threw in a wappa fem that was a freebie, as I want to have 25-30 plants, and 4 seeds wasn't gonna get me that many clones in one shot. So, here are the popped seeds after I took one out and popped it in the rockwool. If you notice something on the tupperware, that is whit duct tape I used to lazily cover the container from light, it was in a shady, but not dark part of the room.
IMG_20111025_175348.jpg
IMG_20111025_175405.jpg

There was on WW bean that looked like it still had a chance, as it had never popped in the heat, but once I put the burned beans over the reduced heat, it seemed to be trying to come out, so I left the whole plate going, and it actually poked out, and this is one of the three that has broken the surface, albeit with a brown birthmark on her nose(and a piece of vermiculite stuck to it). One of the WW babies is birthing breached. She looks doubled-over, but fighting hard. The last shot is the view from the side access that I will try to leave open. I have a glue trap dangling from the roof of the tent for the gnats that are sprouting up. I have neem, but I don't want to use it at this early stage.
2011-10-26_18_26_00.jpg

2011-10-26_18_26_14.jpg

2011-10-26_18_26_22.jpg

2011-10-26_18_25_46.jpg
2011-10-26_18_29_25.jpg

I'm really hoping they all pop thru by the morning. It's maxing out at 80f with the dome off and the fan right on them. I'm also going to leave the tent open for now, as I guess any light leakage wont bother them until they try to flower. I put the finishing touches on my auto-cloner, and I'm just waiting for the silicone to dry to test it out. I have a sick idea for a carbon filter, but fabrication is moving slower than I expected. Finding the right parts in the right sizes to do what I want, and conform to the fan I need is proving to be a challenge.

Humidity dome is not required for seedlings, they have roots for moisture, clones however do need them for the first week preventing moisture lost from the leaves. Work on the ventilation while at the same time use CFL instead of HPS for seedlings could save you on some electricity cost and lower the temp. Once they show the true leaves (5 fingers) then shine the hps on them. I'm not sure if the hps will flower the plants under GLR due to having more red spectrum so you'll let me know. GLR works best with MH or mix light have not seen it done with hps. So if your plants starts to flower under GLR it's not the cycle its the spectrum of the hps that induce flowering. Just to give you a heads up.

Seedlings looks good, you can transplant them once you see some roots coming through at the bottom.

a fan pointed directly at the girls, and the door open for the rest of the day cycle. I'm hoping they don't dry up, so I'm keeping the tray a little fuller of water.

LOL you are bit of an extremist aren't you...Dont go wild blasting them with air...the idea is a gental breeze...and to keep fresh air moving in and out of the area. You need to think about how you are going to vent the tent...the open door and fan is fine for now but I dont think that will be a good solution once they start to rock and roll.

I'm keeping the tray a little fuller of water
While you dont want them to dry up standing water is asking for trouble.
I pop seeds in rapid rooter cubes...I soak the cube once before the seed goes in and thats it until they go in a container...I can go up to a week without adding any water in those. (results may vary)
When I do clones in rapid rooters I water at day seven...then by day 10-14 they are ready to rock.

Dont sweat the humidity. I keep my bloom room at 35% if i can and i dont even have a guage in the green room. For me I would much rather error to the dry side than deal with all of the problems that come with 50% RH and above. Wipe out a crop with bud rot and you will have a different view of high RH and standing water.

Oh and BTW tell the baby girls happy birthday for me :welldone:

...the idea is a gental breeze...and to keep fresh air moving in and out of the area. You need to think about how you are going to vent the tent...
The fan on them is only a 6" clip on, and it is a foot or so away clipped to a convenient bottle of nutes. The tall sprout doesn't dance or bow in the breeze, so I'm sure it's not too strong. I am working on a carbon filter for heat and air exchange, but low on cash after the investment, and rent is due in a week - hence the open door technique for a week.

While you dont want them to dry up standing water is asking for trouble.
Good point, and well taken. Draining the tray and removing the water dish as we speak. hopefully will also help with the gnats!

Oh and BTW tell the baby girls happy birthday for me :welldone:
Thanks! I'd like to hand out cigars to all, but I am celebrating with my own smoke over here!:blunt::partyboy:

Everything looking good blue! Do u have an exhaust in that tent? Im anxious to see how your WW turn out. I got six of those beans for my next grow

Everything looking good blue! Do u have an exhaust in that tent? Im anxious to see how your WW turn out. I got six of those beans for my next grow

I plan on putting in a proper exhaust in about a week, due to budgetary concerns. It will be a 200CFM, and will hopefully sport a DIY carbon scrubber that I'm working on. Now that this is officially a journal, and not just a help with germinating thread, I will put more info and pics on here tonight after work
:welcome:

So, I checked them before work, and it's bittersweet. the one that was doubled over is now thriving, the first to shed the seed husk, and have a set of baby teeth. The other two that had started to rise seem to have wilted a bit, not sure if due to the extra light or wind, or moisture levels. The tall one was leaning over, and the stem is looking skinny and wavy/weak, rather than strong, firm and full of growth, like the strong sprout - Not sure if you can tell the difference in the comparison pic
2011-10-27_05_38_51.jpg
2011-10-27_05_39_11.jpg
2011-10-27_05_40_38.jpg

To combat this, I have moved the verm away from the stem there(in case it was working with the fan to wick moisture away from the stem), and re-watered all(hope over-watering is not the prob).
The $hitty timer that I bought from the Home Depot is crap, and just stays on until I turn it off manually, so the fan is not going off like it should 30min after the lights go out.

"Humidity also plays a major role in how your plants grow. If the humidity is too low, plants will grow narrow leaves and close off stomata to prevent too much water from evaporating which will slow growth. If the humidity is too high stomata will have a difficult time evaporating water, which will also slow growth. Mold and other harmful pathogens will grow in your room if the humidity levels are too high, so maintaing proper humidity is very important to success. We recommend 60-75% humidity levels for indoor growing environments. We do not recommend going over 80% or under 50%, as this can cause drastically reduced growth rates or disease to your plants."
I found this out in the ether, on a site for led lights. Any opinions on this? This is what I'd been hearing until now, that's why I thought my rh was low.

I dont think you will get anybody to challenge that 60-75% RH is ideal in veg...but i think you will get plenty to concur that 30 isnt going to hurt you at this point.
Transpiration is the engine that makes plants do their thing. Google it to learn more.

The dryer the air the more Transpiration takes place. As long as there is enough moister in the root zone to keep up...growth will happen.

You can mist the one that did not drop the shell yet to help keep the shell soft so it can push its way out.

good advice there, your humidity isn't that big of a factor, whenever your humidity is low, like now, as long as you mist the plants every couple of days, they'll grow just fine. Sure it's great to have the ideal environment, but having played around with varying factors inside my own grow room over the years, much of what is stressed is really just enthusiasts tweaking every possible aspect to squeeze that extra gram out of their garden.

I dont think you will get anybody to challenge that 60-75% RH is ideal in veg...but i think you will get plenty to concur that 30 isnt going to hurt you at this point.
Transpiration is the engine that makes plants do their thing. Google it to learn more.

The dryer the air the more Transpiration takes place. As long as there is enough moister in the root zone to keep up...growth will happen.

You can mist the one that did not drop the shell yet to help keep the shell soft so it can push its way out.

good advice there, your humidity isn't that big of a factor, whenever your humidity is low, like now, as long as you mist the plants every couple of days, they'll grow just fine. Sure it's great to have the ideal environment, but having played around with varying factors inside my own grow room over the years, much of what is stressed is really just enthusiasts tweaking every possible aspect to squeeze that extra gram out of their garden.

Good to know. The main thing that's worrying me is that first girl to spring up, only to wilt away. I'm not spraying or misting yet, but I am wetting them from a medicine dropper(from my ph kit) once or twice a day with 1-2 ml of very lightly nuted, then ph'ed water. I'm using the "seedling" mix from the chart on my BPN 2-part. It looks dried out compared to yesterday, so I put a little extra water on that one(I hope it's not suffering from over-watering!). I left the tent open when I left today. all of my blinds are closed, and it is an overcast day, so they wont get much light at all during dark time, but I doubt it would matter much if they got a little light.
Anyone have suggestions surrounding that weakling? I'll be back home to deal with it, and post updated pix tonight around 6:30 - I'd love to have an idea of how to approach this girl by then, I really can't afford to lose any more girls

If they were wilting they would shrivel up and fall over.
I once had some seedlings in cubes and stuck the cubes in a container of dry perlite...within an hour the perlite sucked all of the water out of the cube and the seedlings...the were shrived up and fell over...I added some water and most but not all recovered just fine.

With only a few beans on hand I understand your anxiety but there is only so much you can do.

When I first built my aero cloner I took 25 cuttings and fired that bad boy up. The next day I was planning a 3 day trip out of town. I shut down the water and the air pump so I could check PH before I took the trip. PH was good so I put the lid on and walked out. 3 days later I walk in the room and realized I did not turn the water pump and the air pump back on....all 25 cutting look dead as hell...3 days just sitting no air no water...with nothing left to lose I turned on the water and air pump....the next day they still look dead as hell...the next day...a few had started to perk up....the next day all were standing and reaching for the light....I didnt lose one.... afew of those I will be harvesting this week

just goes to show how resilient of a plant cannabis is. Sauron, if you want you can just water them with plain water right now, they don't need any nutes.. If you want to continue the light dose, just keep a close eye on them. I use plain water from the time they pop above ground until the very first set of leaves begins to turn yellow, then the plant is telling you it's getting hungry. Usually after the first feeding, they will grow an inch a day when I follow that pattern.

It doesn't really look like it, but the one on the right side of that comparison pic is actually leaning over resting on the side of the hole, I think it got dried out from a big(respectively to size of seedling) chunk of vermiculite that was touching the side of the stem. I moved it, and re-watered, so hopefully that girl will be bounding back to health by the time I get home. I try to not mess with them too much, and having to go to work each day helps with that - otherwise I'd be in there on the hour trying to coax them along! lol

Thanks a million for staying tuned in and helping me out with this grow! I'm hoping to really try a lot of different techniques in this grow, and I really appreciate having knowledgeable growers letting me know where I'm going too far out of line. I love 420fied and Twelve12's threads, and I'll try to emulate them as I find my own footing here. I hope to be able to make this interesting for all, and not just be a bug for advice. Either way, I'm in for the long haul - this wont turn into a dead thread in a couple weeks, and I appreciate all who take the ride with me!!
420420420420420420:woohoo:420420420420420:welcome:420420420420420:thanks:

So, I got home, and had some mixed news. There appear to be 4 of the six growing well. I took all the pics, uploaded them, made a post, previewed it, and didn't like it, so I numbered all the sites, then took new pix, uploaded those, didn't like it, so I rotated them all, uploaded again, and here we go: #1 is the girl that was fdoubled over at the start, and she's doing great. "Spot"( for the brown spot on her nose)(#5) seems to have overcome the roasting she got, and is getting straighter and thicker, though slowly. #4(first to shoot up straight) looks even weaker, there is one spot that has a tiny piece of verm stuck to it, but it is also the thinnest point on the stem, so I'm scared to try to pick it off, for fear of breaking it in half. It's as thin as dental floss at that point. It was completely laying on the cube, no strength at all to stand. I would try helping her get the seed husk off, but she's too frail, and it's not even close to falling off. I've watered it maybe 1ml compared to 5-6ml for the growing girls, but given a few extra dops slowly to the top where the seed it still stuck on. I'm scared I could be over-watering her, as I've tried giving her extra, and she's worse off now, so that's why I'm pulling back on the water. There is, however water in the tray again(I'll explain why in a sec), so I doubt she''l dry up too much(any suggestions?). These were the first 3 to show growth, and here they are:

2011-10-27_19_42_421.jpg

2011-10-27_19_43_201.jpg

2011-10-27_19_43_041.jpg

There are also now two more that are showing life, and a third spot that I'm still waiting to see movement in(this was the smallest WW bean from the earlier pix). Both of the new sprouts got help from me to get out of their shells. #1 is trying to catch up to #2, while #6 was weaker(even though the wappa was the biggest upon going into the rockwool cubes), and still has a membrane on her from the seed. I decided to let that dry up and fall off on it's own. Is it possible that #2 is thriving due to the tiny bit of Roots Organic(coco coir with perlite and vermiculite potting mix) media I threw on her? I was going to cover the hole the rockwool with that when I saw ht size, I thought the chunks were kinda big to cover the newly planted seeds, and I decided that the finer grit vermiculite would be a better choice - was that a bad move?Most of the verm has nowwash away from the openings from waterings.
2011-10-27_19_42_291.jpg

2011-10-27_19_43_331.jpg

2011-10-27_19_42_531.jpg

So, I noticed some taproot growth down in the little res, and I wanted to encourage that growth, so that's why I decided to risk the open water sitting for now. The longer root on the right side is further away from the lens in perspective to the tiny root peeking out on the left. This is the view under the rockwool "ice-cube tray". The long root is plant #2, and the short one is plant #1. Then I have the whole family together:
2011-10-27_19_45_181.jpg

2011-10-27_19_46_31.jpg

2011-10-27_19_46_49.jpg

I've turned off the fan for the night about 4 hours early. I think the room is large eough. the heat is staying at 82f with the door open and no fan after 2 hrs. Any feedback on any part of the grow is good at this point. I have some pix from the genesis of my project, I'll post some up after a 420/movie break...

Back
Top Bottom