XiwsX561's 1st Sour Diesel & Mango Kush Mini-SOG Grow Journal 2020

XiwsX561

Hey 420 growers of all sorts this is my 1st attempt to do a 4x2 mini SOG to finish up the 2020 year into 1st month of 2021, this is really just for experience not exactly for yields.

Current setup
4x2x5 Tent
1 HLG 260 watt v1 4000k full spectrum ( it is cool but ive finished one out before in it)
6 sour diesel BAGWEED SEED clones
10+1MICRO Mango Kush clones Mothers SEED from 420
Using 13 1g fabric pots by SmartPots on all besides 3
3 1g fabric pots by Grow-n-Grow
Mediums : Botanicare Coco Coir & Xtreme Coco Peat and if it has Perlite Mircle Grow Enriched Perlite
Nutrient Line : Complete Botanicare KIND nutrient line minus Sweet
Light cycle : 11 on / 13 off
Water Source : Currently hand watering

Ok so to catch everyone up , i had already planned on doing 1 strain at time and keep 1 mother and rotate. i had 7 seeds left over from last year of mango kush but for the 1st time in probably 2 years i came across 2 beans in a pack of sour diesel originally grown outdoors or light dep. So prior to this grow i had never successfully taken a clone and got it to root. Mainly because of time in photo-period it was taken and no patients. Cause i had never cloned before the timing of the clones is off so the SOG canopy will be a little choppy and im almost 100 % sure it is is going to be at different heights , hoping the satvia makes up for that and the important part is atleast 6 MKS were all transplanted at same time and the final 4 MKs, the SDs were all cloned at the same time just didn't have enough fabric pots to trans plant at same time so they do have a bit of a jump. the 6 MKs vegged in solos little too long waiting for the sour diesel to clone , not sure if its genetics or strain but the SDs took 3 attempts to get 100 % success rate using a small 2g DIY 7 site dwc cloner, where as the MKs pretty much any cloning method worked. and These MK clones are 2nd gen. When mainlining the seed super early just for fun id see if i could clone, because like i said i had never done it and everywhere i read said they must be mature to get a clone. their moms where 6-8 inches tall and from germination to topping where only 5 weeks old or less. ( side not dont want to learn the tedious art of bonsai get a 1g smart pot. My MK moms were about 15-18 inches tall and could easily produce 20 if not 30x the amount of clones a bonsai mom would and took up only about 1 sqft Even the SD which can get 12 + feet tall, stayed under 24 inches and was veggin for over 120 days was started in August.

So since the extreme brand coco is prolly new to you guys i will show it here as well as their fabric pots , not sure how well they perform but super heavy duty most fabric pots dont have handles until round 3 gal and just put together well.

Now i thought square tray :: square pots would be great, but if you ever used a fabric pot i think it defeats the purpose of the fabric pot and eventually you prolly would have each pot stuck to each other from the roots poking out and not airpruning, just going right into the next bag. I didnt use the sqare pots this round. Pretty sure everyone has seen SmartPots, plus i ran out so you will have to wait until lights on if you care to see one. I also used a dollar to give you an idea of the specs. Now the sqaure pots literally look like 2+ gallon bags

Screenshot_20201209-201531_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201209-201700_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201209-201600_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201209-201606_Gallery.jpg

so the 6 girls on the left are the sour diesel, you can obviously tell how much of a difference just 2 or 3 days does when you transplant up from your solo cups. The 4 in middle are all Mango and transplanted yesterday on day one of 11/13. And if you can see that one in the back left in the shot glass its the same age as well all the mangoes but has had roots just as long as the 6 taller mangoes on far right.

Current temperature 77 degrees RH 55%
Currently watering once daily at 25% manufacturers recommended dosage for 1 gal. Ec comes in around .84 using RO water. Being none of these have fully established in the 1 gallon pots im using botanicare rhizo blast for the 1st week. You'll know when they have filled the pot when its dry jts one block.

Now this is my first SOG, everywhere I read says not to trim but then some do I just want single color. But the mango kush is an indica dominant hybrid so it does have some quite established side shoots. And they pretty much fill the space already. So please tell me in your experience how you tamed your horizontal growers. I'm hoping I won't have that issue with the sour diesel I split the light so I can have heifhts to compensate for timing in hopes to have somewhat of an even canopy.

Screenshot_20201209-212533_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201209-212555_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201209-212608_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201209-212633_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201209-212645_Gallery.jpg

Off to a good start with your SOG, I’m in.
Definitely not the ideal SOG I was shooting for in my bigger tent with covid shipping times my table didn't come in time and other tent is in flower. So this is purely experimental. Those 1gal pots filled are about 8 inches in diameter so I really wanted 3x6 rows 18 total and to water via ebb n flow.

This tent is 48"x24" and In order to fit that you need a 2x4 OD tray one I ordered to run ebb n flow is a 2x4 ID tray which would give me perfect dimensions for that. The try currently being used is an odd shape still a botanicare tray but didn't specify ID or OD even then its 44inches long so it fit long ways in the tent but its 24inches deep exact dimensions of my tent so I just propped the back up on the frame of the tent giving it a 3/4 inch to 0 slope over 24in

Here's a sneak peak of flower tent PW , now I just need them to pack on some weight, this was also my 1st attempt at doing a true SCROG. again hasn't planned on but waiting on equipment to come in was getting up passed the 60 day veg mark and yea I trained to pull alot of clones for the SOG. So far mainlining is still my favorite method but I wanna see how single cola plants play out. I need to find someone pro in that because I typically don't do any heavy pruning or cutting after 2nd week into flower , other then some defol once a week or every other week

Screenshot_20201211-014041_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201211-014104_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201211-014048_Gallery.jpg

I just wanna produce a model bud lol like the the bud they take to advertise this strain at a see bank or dispensary the bud when u type the name of it in Google thats what pops up. I still have Skywalker OG beans from last run, never got to pop one, or think it was pic of the month or week last week forgot the strain was on like a deck perfect training nice circle almost looked like banana kush with red and yellow. But I don't think I'll have a problem with the single cola on the sour diesel its the Mangos indica making have so many side shoots and bush out. I tried to find a YouTube video on single cola training or trimming and nothing surprisingly.

Now in day 3 of flower already my sog has exploded your can see how the taller mangoes still could have been in veg longer as they are not very dry . As no one has recommended trimming im still within 1st two weeks belive u can still knock off some thing if i needed to and not effect over all yield. I watched a you tube video today where they had 6ft plants with nice colas in 2gal fabric pots so curious to see how the sour diesel mom finishes under my flower tent light , as you can tell the little ones could eat more light up. Plus thr mom vegged over 120 days ( from germination ground break) . I will be giving them a drenching today wet or not because I'm sure the ph has risen . Even some of the smaller ones since it has been around 3 days since any of them in this tent had got any water. Other then that ima let them go other tent I believe has about two weeks left I hope and I will harvest move these ones under the 550 I will have to guesstimate the power of light they are receiving now because I've read too much of a power increase over a 24 hr period can possibly make them reveg , dunno how true but posted by more then one person. Here are some new snaps.
Not sure if you can see but the mangoes shots are almost as tall as main cola just going to run them they will get more light. But since they did veg a bit longer you can see some browning on some of the fan leaves. This is my 1st coco grow but I still know better I just cut back their food so that all age tiers (rooted and transplanted )are at same feeding levels, im sure because of diesel sativa DNA its going to be a bit more heavy feeder as the indica but since the taller MKs veggd longer they are the only ones showing any deficiency that im see in the older MKs and I believe it to be calmag. I am running botanicare Kind and they say if u need more base seems like a flaw in a totally customizable line. Just want what's in the calmag other wiser

Screenshot_20201211-230243_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201211-230249_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201211-230259_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201211-230336_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201211-230357_Gallery.jpg

Ok so catching everyone up, today was day 6 of flower unfortunately a rookie mistake as I've only grown feminized seeds ive purchased and even though I've grown seed to harvest satuva most were Indica dom hybrids if sativa very little 60/40. I had gotten two beans from a pack that I knew the strain, the sour diesel had giant pistils should have known when no hair emerged but they look like long white hairs. Anyways it didn't show its sex until probably yesterday but being cloned and flipped they were still rather wet so I pulled 8 out of there and being that I took the lollipop sized MK and put it in a 1 gallon , but today you could see the start of tru flowers on the mangoes . Now since no one chimed in and suggested anything typically with a sog because your doing a large number of Plants you don't top or anything I believe but I did remove all nodes on and horizontal branches besides the top, I believe I supposed to remove even thr horizontal branches just leaving main stalk to get single cola. So now I will continue to document the mini grow as it is still my 1st coco grow and potted plant grow as well. As its bases is for experience and experimental purposes. So I did remove any suckered left 1-2 nodes at each site and 2 or 3 fan leaves. Tomorrow will be last water with week 1 nutes so I will also be testing run off.
Until tomorrow keep rollin

So as I told you last time half my sog was removed and this is my 1st coco grow its time to play not looking for so much as yield but over all yield and quality in a small tent with a small light curious to see the out come I believe today is day 9 of flower so just entered week #2 can definitely see all bud sites emerging. I will be posting pics today as well. Since last pics I did lollipop up to top 2 or 3 nodes ill know by end of stretch what else to remove as then real bus production starts. Here's some updates.

I do have this little younger clone as all these didn't veg same lengths different times. Has some weird flowering going on at the speed of a male but no pollen sacks and not a hermy. Plus weird shaped leaves , a mutation? Plz any unput.input. Almost like its just stacking calyx and leaves. Bc they were flipped at same time, I put a snap of a known female still day 9 and actually a plant that vegged longer.
Screenshot_20201217-055858_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-055850_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-055840_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-055912_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-055920_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-060116_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-060122_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-060128_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201217-060135_Gallery.jpg

Also check what the sour diesel did in a 1gal I couldn't break this ball as much as I tried and it was never root bound.

Hey 420 so we are in week 2 day 19 I believe of flower and I should retitle this threat to just root in flip. The stretch is coming along this won't be a high yield just nice large colas as I only keeping the tops and removing as we go along anything after this week stays at we count that the end of the stretch and I don't want to stunt the plant any more. I never topped this grow which is not my norm. But I'm practicing the "Kyle kushmans chiropractor method " because the branches are rather thin and lanky but as I've never used silica before u can tell the difference in the strength so basically not sure im doing his method correctly its kind of similar to the pinch and fold or some call super cropping. Each branch starting from bottom basically fold just enough to feel it kind poop or crack without breaking the skin and just go up the branch doing it every 1-2 inches, unlike super cropping im not folding over just strengthening the branch like when we break a bone it grows back harder and stronger. And then im leaving about 3 to 4 sometimes 5 fan leaves, bottom ones he calls satellites. So well see what type of colas it produces.

The most interesting part of this grow is the mutant im 100% sure she is a she female and 98% sure its not a hermy. The weird things about this plant is its bud onset speed they all flipped at the same time, typically a trait of a male , fans growing fans, and a few spots calyx on top of calyx like a zoom of the strain "big bud" but sure they are calyx as there are pistils.

I have introduced c02 to the grow at only about 800 ppm. As well practicing vpd, and the avpd is 1.2 and the lvpds is at 1¹.1. If anyone can suggest a good small and compact dehuey for a 4x2. I have one from 2 years ago works more like a swamp cooler so doesn't do much.

Feeding currently at 50% strength from here on. But he are some pics of the mutant.

Until next time.

One last thing I may be doing a give away. As I have 3 of them 2 brand new in the box never opened was my 1st fan got another T8 and so since. They are the newest model AC Infinity T6, now with EC motors you can mix and match different sizes fans just like I do in my 5x5 with an AC infinity 8 inch carbon filter and a T8 paired with an s6 as an intake, automatically control temperature and RH, and with offset in sizes doesn't even seem like u have a carbon filter.
Compliments of KushKings
Screenshot_20201218-092451_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201218-092458_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201218-092510_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201218-092520_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201218-092529_Gallery.jpg

Hey 420, so not no one is really following except for PW, thank you. But I will continue as it may help someone in the future and for myself as well.

So today is end of week 2 day 14 of flower. There are a few things I do want to touch on today as of the other day I did that cancel out or turned off the CO2 because I found it difficult to control the VPD in such a small tent 4x2x5 but I came up with a trick that makes VPD quite simple to get in the green on your chart. So back tracking a little I may have a few things that I have done since flip that may hurt my yields.
1 - didn't run co2 during the veg stage. I always thought veg was just getting your plant to maturity and to the size you want your plant to finish at as they will usually double in size after the "stretch" phase in early flower.
2 - If your going to do any type of HST such as super cropping, your going to want to do that in veg as you don't want your plants energy wasted on healing itself, want it to focus on 2 things it does when you change your photo-period stretch and produce bud sites.
3 - I am super guilty of this defol wrong times , you have 3 main times that are a kinda hack for your plant to focus on those bud sites, 1 during the veg stage mainly the bottoms and middle for air flow as your train or sog and skip training as was my intentions snd j havent done any besides kushmans chiropractor which probably should have been done during veg or right before flip. 2 is right before flip strip bare besides 2 or 3 for each branch leave the bud sites, I removed all besides top 1-3 and have been removing a fan here and there rather then just tucking it under or to the side exposing the bud sites, only if you really have to. 3rd and last major defol is day 15 or week 3. after that only as needed as your plant is done with stretch and its primary objective is to reproduce making sure you have plenty of air flow across the sites. As cannabis is wind pollinated, it's only going to fatten up those that have air flow over them. Reasons oscillating fans are best won't get wind burn and its more natural.
4 - I probably hurt the growth which hurts yield when I reset the clones that had vegged longer to same feeding strength so its like I put the ones that are going to have the biggest yield on a diet when they are actually eating pretty heavily in this stage , keep in mind no one feeding chart unless you've ran the geno several times your self or your breeder has taken the time to do this.

Believe thats all I wanted to touch on as I've been doing the opposite the whole time. As far as VPD/co2 hack it's only goin to work if you have a humidity controller or in my case I have a single AC Infinity Tseries fan hooked up as exhaust only. Keel in mind you will need to adjust for night time or simply have a dehumidifier. Early stages will be okay just Temps will drop when lights turn off and unless you can pull that moisture out will run into problems later on with mold and or bud rot. So in order to run co2 you need the tent sealed and either a timer but sort of controller works best. So with your exhaust fan set to off and co2 set to flow rate for your sqft. So I let led and co2 heat the tent up my see how hot it gets and stabilizes mine was at 82 degrees according to ac infinity lcd display probe set just an inch or 2 lower then my tallest plant so its I n the canopy but not touching the plants if you don't have a laser thermometer go off this and pretty much everyone has a weather meter inside their tent use that as air temp then go look at the your weather meter use that as your air temp mine tends to be 2 degrees cooler then leaf temp. Every ones environment is different where I tend to have high humidity getting upwards of 73 RH via AC LCD display with a T6 clearing 40 cubic feet of air happens in a matter of seconds. My outside usually stays within a 6 degree window summer window maybe a little larger but not much the my RH usually is alot higher inside tho a HiSENSE 50/70 PPD dehumidifier (spend extra 40 or 60 bucks if you have high humidity) with pump , so you're not dumping it every 1-2 hours. I have mine pump into a 27gal storage tote with 2 questions in it. Made it my mixing station, also bought a cheaper planter dolley they call it "plant caddy" 12inch for 10 bux this way I can load up a 5 gallon at the dump which comes out with the same EC of my RO water with. 02. Anyways outside my house its 58 degrees 82 % RH main house id 68degrees and a 63%RH and by either cracking my room door or a little at a time or totally closed the room 73 degrees and 52-56 %RH.

Last grow I bought some inkbird ith-10 hydrometers, I want to say in 10-12 and have about 5 or 6 that still worth temp and humidity. As far as temperature they are only off by a difference of +/-.1 degrees but rh % seems to be average of +/- 3% one saying 50% another 55% . At about 13 bux a piece I went for something new a random cheap mini hydrometer by " pack room thermometers " made in China a pack of 12 + they gave me 6 spare batteries. And send a little business card giving known Flux in Temps and rh . Temp is +/- 2 , rh is +/-5% . But all lined up on my desk 11 of them because I have one in a jar all read the same temp with +/- .05 and and rh difference of less then1% , 1 out off 11 was reading 1 % different.

Anyways this post was long started yesterday just finishing it and lights are back on.
It's week 3 day 15 its time to to defol ill take all fan leaves off only leaving a few at the top of each cola and as I used to pinch off any low bud sites and kinda have already in the 1st week or 2.

As I'm running co2 and I know thr 1st generation of this plant I got the ec up to 1.9, im going to stack the EC not as much as someone with drip emitters and Rockwool with a super accurate measuring devices and im not mixing more then 2 days worth of nutrients, one day it maybe might in say week 2 j mixed 1.25 trying to replicate that I might get 1.25 or 28 or 1.3. Because it's almost when mixing small amounts its a difference of drops. So to be more consistent ill mix 4gal a day feed lights on and the 2nd half about an hour or 2 before lights out just to manage any ph Flux I think there is 9 plants and its a little less then 2gal per watering to achieve 10-20% run off, reducing run off id another way of stacking but I do not have the precision needed. I will post pictures from yesterday as well as today's defol.

Ok so I know i haven't posted pics exhausted from harvest , holidays, moving girls from one tent to another. Going to post pics right now. Also calling all advanced- expert growers @Pennywise if you more people then I if you can't help plz tap someones shoulder, so typically super humid outside my tent in my house, as I don't have a tru dedicated AC to run co2 I have to keep my dual hosed portable one inside my 5x5, so my question is when using VPD in flower I got my LVPD perfect at 1.2 but for that you have to have your humid sitting around 70% so how the hell can you run it that high during flower without the risk of bud rot/mold? And night Temps I typically don't worry too much about VPD as before I had thr dehuey inside the tent but I will hit extreme temperature lows with that on and humidity doesn't really get below 64% I finally got it dialed in for inside the tent with lights on. Guess I need to put dehumidifier back in at least to run when lights are off? Plz HELP

Ok as promised here are some updates, I do believe I got the VPD dialed in atleast when the lights are on, and depending on the time of the year. Working on the lights off trying AC off opened passive vent and have ac infinity inline on ac exhaust because that hose can get hot as hell, trust me touched my legs a few times. Although partially my fault due to where I originally had it somewhere where unknowingly it was blocked and restricted. Either way they are looking good, fans are standing tall and we just mid week 3. I did add the 1st gen mother as you can see in back left sorta not looking too good as she sat in darkness for over 72 hrs along with the previous harvest I believe she's nute locked. So flushed with a gal of calmag+ , hydroguard, super thrive and rhizo blast, see what happens as she was stunted.

Screenshot_20201227-093956_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201227-094004_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201227-094013_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201227-094020_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201227-094027_Gallery.jpg

Ok as promised here are some updates, I do believe I got the VPD dialed in atleast when the lights are on, and depending on the time of the year. Working on the lights off trying AC off opened passive vent and have ac infinity inline on ac exhaust because that hose can get hot as hell, trust me touched my legs a few times. Although partially my fault due to where I originally had it somewhere where unknowingly it was blocked and restricted. Either way they are looking good, fans are standing tall and we just mid week 3. I did add the 1st gen mother as you can see in back left sorta not looking too good as she sat in darkness for over 72 hrs along with the previous harvest I believe she's nute locked. So flushed with a gal of calmag+ , hydroguard, super thrive and rhizo blast, see what happens as she was stunted.

Screenshot_20201227-093956_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201227-094004_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201227-094013_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201227-094020_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201227-094027_Gallery.jpg
Had same problem with my ac. Exhaust was hotter than tent had to get 6” insulated exhaust pipe and no problems after that.
Your new garden looks great.

Back
Top Bottom