Xlr8's "Flo N Gro" Hydro Multiple Strains 2011

jandre, you've stressed over numbers that are not critical IMO. They are TMI. Dosing chart @BPN is in volume, not PPM nor EC. The Hanna rep can have sex with himself, your grows go well using the 'wrong' scale, and X is doing good.
So... you deserve a break, eh?
I concur!:thumb:

Don't have BPN yet, ordering today, thank you very much.

X, thanks for standing up for me. That's all I was doing was posting final findings about the meter since there was a bit of confusion there, and wrapping up the subject.

What's hot side for you? Give me a ideal of how you go about your waterchange. Is your reservoir measured so you know the true amount of water used? Measuring equipment. What are your go to numbers? Do you top off regularly? I wish to compare info with ya and I need to know what type of ppm meter, water ppm, and additives and boosters. Everything and anything bro and I'll do the same if you want. Its like comparing notes, my head is a lil fuzzy but I hope the message is understandable. I am probaly going to ask a couple of other members that I am friendly with the same thing. We might see a trend or learn something new, pooling info can reduce trial and error.

Good idea, Mr. Smith. I'm not able to get to my notes right now, but I'll see what I can pull together when I get a moment.

I'm fairly confident that I know the true amount of water used - I have my reservoir(s) marked off inside. To do so, I filled it with a "confirmed" gallon container, one gallon at a time, and made graduated marks at different levels. I tested it again between last grow and this one, to verify the marks were still correct (as the container bulges some).

My meter is an Oakton, and it uses .7 conversion factor, but I'll share numbers in both .7 ppm, and EC as it's the more universal number and can be converted to be consistent with any meter.

In addition to BPN's line, I add Silica, Zone root conditioner, Cal/Mag + (I use RO), and BPN's Liquid Blue during bloom phase. Occassionally something like SuperThrive or H2O2 but only in specific circumstances. I'll pull my notes when I get a moment - I'm too medicated to pull it out of my head right now. ;)

Hi X,

Ok, I just caught up on this ppm/ec conversation...sorry I was a bit behind. All very good info, and I followed along without too much confusion so you guys did a real good job ... :thanks:

I do however have 1 ?? concerning this post

Jandre, if you want to confirm what your conversion factor is, buy some cal fluid. If you buy .5 fluid and it reads 1000 (1 ec), then you have a .5 meter. If you take the fluid to a different meter (at the store maybe) it will read different for a .7 meter or a .65 meter. I am assuming all you guys that use PPM meters (EC meters) do a calibration at least 1x month, so you should have the cal solution already. If you don't, go get some.

I'm using HM digital TDSez, it's .5 scale, but it says you calibrate w/342ppm solution. What am I missing from this post? OG--can you explain further

Propa--I've been lost in TMI land since I started all this a little over a year ago...but I've been having a good time learning/sorting it all out. Well...good time might be a stretch but I'm love growing, even if I do sometimes feel like I'm drowning :high-five:

BTW, X -- I'm glad you decided to show us your next grow...they look mighty happy. Good luck

Hi X,

Ok, I just caught up on this ppm/ec conversation...sorry I was a bit behind. All very good info, and I followed along without too much confusion so you guys did a real good job ... :thanks:

I do however have 1 ?? concerning this post

I'm using HM digital TDSez, it's .5 scale, but it says you calibrate w/342ppm solution. What am I missing from this post? OG--can you explain further

Propa--I've been lost in TMI land since I started all this a little over a year ago...but I've been having a good time learning/sorting it all out. Well...good time might be a stretch but I'm love growing, even if I do sometimes feel like I'm drowning :high-five:

BTW, X -- I'm glad you decided to show us your next grow...they look mighty happy. Good luck

Sqwheels, you didn't miss anything and can basically disregard that post since you already KNOW you have a .5 conversion meter. OG was just providing a way to see what your conversion factor is IF it isn't known, and NOT providing a calibration method. You should continue to calibrate with the correct solution for your meter.

They don't fail. But to each there own. I'm more like Propa here for sure. I have the drops but then I got good solid water. But then I'm not doing hydro, 'which I have with the drops' but, wow all them numbers are involed with ph? JK Thats 2 or 3 digets more than I care to figgure.
It's always whatever you are comfortable with. Just driving thru Xlr youngings are starting to take off. Looking good. I like the pot design on that unit you have. Looks like nice shape for roots. Does it get top heavy I wonder? Keepem Green

Sorry Wood! Almost missed replying to your post. I really like the pot style, too on the Flo N Gro system. The inner net-pots go almost to the bottom of the outer container and is filled with hydroton, so it's not top heavy at all. The only bummer I've found on this system is the amount of medium it takes. But, I'm reusing the hydroton after a thorough cleaning, so it won't be wasted. It's just a lot of hydroton!

Jeebus Brother, you're almost 100 pages!! I'm sure I've missed a plethora of great info here...Just wanted to stop in and say thanks for lookin in on me over on mine. Got the Jills goin, feel free to drop by. MLAR!

Hey Quix! I'm just having a hard time ending this journal, but I'll do so soon. I'll definitely drop by to check out the Jillys. I'm hoping to learn from your grow so I'll know what to expect when I grow some of my own. I had to G*ogle MLAR, but now that I know what it means -- MLAR right back atcha. :high-five:

Hey Xlr after afew grows you will have enough you can let a batch worths dry out for a season. I know I have enough for acouple small grows in my drip systems but even thats alot of pebbles. Just wanted to drive thru and see whats changed. looks good
Keep em Green

Last night I topped all of the plants in the Flo N Gro. I pre-soaked Rapid Rooters in Clonex solution, and used Roottech gel for the clones. They are currently under my T5 in the veg space in a humidity dome. Temps are being maintained at about 77f and humidity being about 85%.

This morning a couple of them were looking a bit droopy, but already tonight they've perked back up quite a bit, which seems like a good sign.

I'll maintain a clone of each plant (ideally) until I find out what's what once they are flowered. Now that I have a little veg area to work with I'd like to maintain the genetics I really like, but I'm not going to get carried away unless I find a good "keeper" or two. (I have a pretty small space for vegging plants atm).

:bong:

Keepers:

• Lucy
  • Chocolope
  • Lavender

Last night I topped all of the plants in the Flo N Gro. I pre-soaked Rapid Rooters in Clonex solution, and used Roottech gel for the clones. They are currently under my T5 in the veg space in a humidity dome. Temps are being maintained at about 77f and humidity being about 85%.

This morning a couple of them were looking a bit droopy, but already tonight they've perked back up quite a bit, which seems like a good sign.

I'll maintain a clone of each plant (ideally) until I find out what's what once they are flowered. Now that I have a little veg area to work with I'd like to maintain the genetics I really like, but I'm not going to get carried away unless I find a good "keeper" or two. (I have a pretty small space for vegging plants atm).

:bong:

X, man, I'm so sorry for being so far behind, but I'm a bit confused...Did you start some new ones or are these re-veges from last grow??? I gotta know man I gotta know!!

X, man, I'm so sorry for being so far behind, but I'm a bit confused...Did you start some new ones or are these re-veges from last grow??? I gotta know man I gotta know!!

Hey Quix -

New grow. Not really going to journal, but I'm lazy about closing the journal and needed some photos... ;)

Regular seeds, so there may be a couple of males that'll need removing, etc. But, there are (2) Jack the Rippers, (2) Pandora's Box, (1) OG Kush, (1) Deadhead OG. I also have a Super Lemon Haze in a coco coir smart pot, that I plan on test driving as a small "mom" for a later grow.

Keepers:

• Lucy
  • Chocolope
  • Lavender

Hi Jandre -

Yes, I wish I'd have taken a clone of each of the first two for sure.

Number 3, the Lavender is fantastic, but it's not my style so much. It's a heavy hitting Indica dom with a knock out kick at the end like none I've ever seen.

It's good for bedtime, but any other time, it's going to melt you to the couch -- like it or not! For those who like that, this is a great strain. I do like it near bedtime, it definitely helps me sleep.

If I liked that knockout indica stone better, and wanted a good yielder, the Lavender would be a killer plant to have as a mom.

I have a few more Lucy and (1) more Chocolope seed, and I will try to keep clones of those with the hopes that I like them as well as those last 2 I grew...

What's hot side for you? Give me a ideal of how you go about your waterchange. Is your reservoir measured so you know the true amount of water used? Measuring equipment. What are your go to numbers? Do you top off regularly? I wish to compare info with ya and I need to know what type of ppm meter, water ppm, and additives and boosters. Everything and anything bro and I'll do the same if you want. Its like comparing notes, my head is a lil fuzzy but I hope the message is understandable. I am probally going to ask a couple of other members that I am friendly with the same thing. We might see a trend or learn something new, pooling info can reduce trial and error.

Okay, let's see.

Oakton .7 conversion. RO water measuring 0-10 ppm with Oakton meter. I am confident in the calibration of the meter, and check it periodically - same with my PH pen. I calibrate the PH pen weekly, the TDS pen monthly (it seems to stay in calibration better than the PH pen...)

Only additives are Dutch Master Silica, Zone, Cal Mag+, and occasional SuperThrive. I monitor PPM's every other day in my reservoir, and will top off during the week if it's needed. I change reservoir weekly without fail - sometimes 1 or 2 days late, but not typically. I also work in periodic flushes, but they're not accounted for in my "plan" at this point.

I don't have all of the info from my last grow digitally, (and am too lazy/busy to transcribe it at the moment) but here is the "plan" I created for what I've got going now. The numbers on top are based on manufacturer recommendations, the numbers below are my actual/plan. The "Actuals" are notated in black, the "Plan" are greyed slightly - since this is current, the date is also a give-away as to what's happening vs. planned to happen:

grow_schedule.jpg

The PPM numbers are a rough guess based on experience from previous grow. To that end, this is following roughly the same format, so these numbers should give you at least an idea of what I'm doing/ have done. I'm considering lowering the PPM's slightly this grow, so the plan has numbers slightly below what I ran last time. I reserve the right to change my mind down the road. ;)

I will include a couple of specifics from my last grow - here is a "mid bloom" reservoir change:

BPN Grow = 200
BPN Micro = 110
BPN Bloom = 350

Cal/Mag = 50 ml*
Liquid Blue = 40 ml*
Silica = 40 ml
Zone = 36 ml

Reservoir measured at about 1.9EC or roughly 1350 ppm using Oakton .7 meter, 1000ppm on a Hanna .5. Now, the only thing I've got to mention, is that while I CAN accurately measure the water in my reservoir, I sometimes let it be a little bit over - especially when I had temps a bit higher than I liked for a couple of weeks - it may have slightly exceeded 20 gallons. I didn't always make note of it.

When I attempted to push the EC up higher, the Skywalker showed slight signs of distress/burning. I was also dealing with a slight Mag deficiency - especially in the Skywalker, so that may have contributed.

*These were probably too low, and I plan to nearly double the Cal/Mag due to slight MG deficiency issues last grow, and RO water. I just dabbled with the Liquid Blue last grow, but I will try it using label directions this round. Hence the larger numbers in the "plan" document above.

Let me know if I can answer any other questions, or if I left anything out. I hope this helps.

Also, feel free to make suggestions if you think I'm whack for how I'm doing things or if you have suggestions for improvement. I'm open to ideas - it's all about learning and growing for me. I only grow for myself, but then I'm a picky customer and want the best meds possible. ;)

Hope this is helpful!

Props. I think lowering the ppm is good. I'm thrilled with much lower ppm and results thus far after learning about conversion factors and such.

Back
Top Bottom