Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

re: Xlr8's Psychedelic Bloom Party Extravaganza

yup i could not take it anymore an bit a big bud right off during a trim sesh,,,DO NOT DO THIS!!!! it was to put it mildly a bad experience it tasted awful and after chewing for 5 min i had a wad of gooey fiber i ended up spitting out as i could not force myself to swallow it, now then the inside of my mouth felt gummed up with resin stuck to my teeth and tongue lips cheeks roof it was like i had used gorilla glue for mouthwash, it took many cups of HOT coffee to get most of it washed away 2 days later there was still resin on my teeth, it tasted nothing like the smell and i get shivers every time i think about it, thanks for bringing it up x ....dork! lol j/k im the dork for not resisting such a foolish thing, i repeat DO NOT EAT FRESH BUD!!! you WILL be sorry:peace:

now about RH i live in a very arid ,dry,place seeing high rh is rare and only happens once a year during monsoon season, average rh is below 20% 10% is typical, im lazy and no way im doing all that work to add humidity to my tents (water bowls towel's,etc) i do mist with seaweed spray every few days the rh goes up for a couple hours i use smartpots and let the runoff sit they suck it all back up in a couple hours anyway yet i rarely see rh over 30% but o too have noticed i have crazy trich development often seeing them on the stems even the main stem especially after adding uvb light, i believe its the plants way of conserving water by covering itself with a water holding "oily" barrier to trap as much water in as possible, so far they have always had as much or more trich development than pics i find online of the same strain, i think its that and the addition of azomite to my bpn organic poop soup i feed them thats my "theory" anyway, my flower tent averages 15-25% rh veg is a little higher maxing out at 40% for short periods, i guess if i added a swamp cooler to my house it would up the rh, but why i like what im seeing, and nobody has ever complained that my buds have to many trichs:thumb:

yup i could not take it anymore an bit a big bud right off during a trim sesh,,,DO NOT DO THIS!!!! it was to put it mildly a bad experience it tasted awful and after chewing for 5 min i had a wad of gooey fiber i ended up spitting out as i could not force myself to swallow it, now then the inside of my mouth felt gummed up with resin stuck to my teeth and tongue lips cheeks roof it was like i had used gorilla glue for mouthwash, it took many cups of HOT coffee to get most of it washed away 2 days later there was still resin on my teeth, it tasted nothing like the smell and i get shivers every time i think about it, thanks for bringing it up x ....dork! lol j/k im the dork for not resisting such a foolish thing, i repeat DO NOT EAT FRESH BUD!!! you WILL be sorry:peace:

now about RH i live in a very arid ,dry,place seeing high rh is rare and only happens once a year during monsoon season, average rh is below 20% 10% is typical, im lazy and no way im doing all that work to add humidity to my tents (water bowls towel's,etc) i do mist with seaweed spray every few days the rh goes up for a couple hours i use smartpots and let the runoff sit they suck it all back up in a couple hours anyway yet i rarely see rh over 30% but o too have noticed i have crazy trich development often seeing them on the stems even the main stem especially after adding uvb light, i believe its the plants way of conserving water by covering itself with a water holding "oily" barrier to trap as much water in as possible, so far they have always had as much or more trich development than pics i find online of the same strain, i think its that and the addition of azomite to my bpn organic poop soup i feed them thats my "theory" anyway, my flower tent averages 15-25% rh veg is a little higher maxing out at 40% for short periods, i guess if i added a swamp cooler to my house it would up the rh, but why i like what im seeing, and nobody has ever complained that my buds have to many trichs:thumb:

BID, I absolutely love that you noticed my comment and shared that story here!!!! :rofl: I really do think of you and this story whenever I think they look so good you could "break one off and eat it". Priceless! And yeah, I'm a dork, too.... :)

Good feedback on the RH, too, I appreciate you weighing in with your own valuable experience. Nice! :high-five:

:thumb:

Ya I figured as a beginner I would start with the 2 part first so I could learn some stuff, then go to 3 part.

Sounds like a good plan! :high-five:

You may find you like the 2-part just fine and stick with it, too. Many experienced growers use the 2-part, as well.

yup i could not take it anymore an bit a big bud right off during a trim sesh,,,DO NOT DO THIS!!!! it was to put it mildly a bad experience it tasted awful and after chewing for 5 min i had a wad of gooey fiber i ended up spitting out as i could not force myself to swallow it, now then the inside of my mouth felt gummed up with resin stuck to my teeth and tongue lips cheeks roof it was like i had used gorilla glue for mouthwash, it took many cups of HOT coffee to get most of it washed away 2 days later there was still resin on my teeth, it tasted nothing like the smell and i get shivers every time i think about it, thanks for bringing it up x ....dork! lol j/k im the dork for not resisting such a foolish thing, i repeat DO NOT EAT FRESH BUD!!! you WILL be sorry

Wow.... I thought I was the only one who did this... lol... It was such a good idea at the time lol. Funny enough I accually just rinsed my whole mouth out with isopropynol... it was awful... I tried to play it cool but I really really really thought it looked tasty. Now to poke fun at myself a little more... a year later I came up with the great idea to just dip a little fresh nug in melted chocholate then put in fridge for 30 mins.... ironicly that gave me 30 mins to reconsider the stupid idea but alas I ate it anyway.... clearly I didn't learn the first time.... But I did learn the second time. :)

Jonny

Something I haven't discussed much, but I feel may be worth noting... These are a few thoughts on Relative Humidity (RH):

We all know that keeping RH low in flower is good, right? Typically, I suggest to newer growers that they keep the relative humidity (RH) below 50% in flower if possible. At a minimum, below 60%. Anything above that is asking for mold problems. Also, it should be noted that the sub-canopy itself can form micro-climates, with much higher humidity than may be measured higher up in the canopy. For this reason, I keep multiple hygrometers in my grow area, at varying levels of the canopy.

Are there benefits to even lower RH?

I've read in several places that lower RH in bloom can result in increased resin production in bloom (more trichomes... it's a good thing!) I am meticulous about tracking and measuring things in my grow, in order to draw conclusions from the impact these things have. I have to say, I really believe low RH is a key in improving/increasing trichome development. Put simply: The longer I grow, the lower I let (encourage, help) the RH get in bloom, and the more I see improvements in trichome development.

To be fair, this isn't scientific. I've made other changes over time too, that may be partially responsible. No doubt, and I mean this earnestly, I've seen better trichome production since switching to Blue Planet Nutrients. There are other variables, too, such as adding an MH bulb for increased spectrum (this round), and the strains I'm growing. So, maybe it's a gut feeling to an extent - and clearly there are other contributing factors, but I really believe there is something to this idea of low RH equaling greater trichome development.

How low is my RH? I have tried to keep it between 30-40% in the past, but have been keeping it between 20-35% this round. It's gotten as low as 15% at times. I do feel like I've seen faster, heavier, trichome development as a result of the drier air. While it's not scientific, I did want to share it, as perhaps others have seen this correlation. I don't think this is breaking new ground, as this is a belief held by many others as well. But, it's not something I've discussed much, and I do think it makes a difference. I use a dehumidifier when nature wants to work against me in this regard, btw. A regular circulating fan can help a lot with lowering RH, too.

Also, I think some newer growers especially might not realize that our plants can thrive with dryer conditions like this, as long as temps and other factors are in line. I often see newer growers concerned that the low RH conditions are the root cause of whatever problem they are facing, but I've never had a problem with unhealthy plants, even in veg, with low RH conditions. While super low RH isn't ideal in veg, it isn't a death sentence either. If anything, it seems to slow a vegging plant, but not make it sick (in my experience). Blooming plants, however, love the lower RH in my experience, and reward with trichomes.

Side note: The drier air also seems to make odor control a bit easier...

This is just my personal experience and anecdotal observations. I would love to hear feedback from others in this regard - what have you seen? Does this make sense, or am I making a wrong leap here? Let me know your thoughts if you have them!

One important note: I think that the lower RH is probably easier to do with hydro due to frequent waterings and access to water on demand. There are probably many more dangers to lower RH in soil, mostly due to watering requirements and moisture needs in the soil. Also, plants seem to be a little more nutrient sensitive in lower RH conditions, and may not tolerate huge PPM's as well - or as bright of light intensity.

Seeing as how I'm doing my first closet grow, I can't say if low RH is better than high RH. All I know is that all through veg my plants rarely saw RH above 35% except at night when the lights were off and the temps dropped, and this was with a humidifier cranked on high. Normal daytime RH in veg was 25-30% and all my plants look healthy.

What is a good RH for flowering? I think I could easily get it down to under 20% if I turned off the humidifier. Where I live the RH outside is usually well below 20%. Today it's 8%. How low is too low?

Cool! I'm sure you'll love them. I use the 3-part, but I know many really like the 2-part and have great success with it. I've been very happy, and plan to stick with them for the long-term. I have been lucky enough to win some in the contests, but I like it enough that I've also purchased some with my own $$$, and will continue to do so in the future. Congrats on the great new nutes. :thumb:

The two part high yield looks really good. I didn't notice it until after I ordered the two part reg. Budget is now all tied up so I'm trying to find alternatives too the high yield additions. Next grow its ordered!

Yeah OK, but, I'll ask, did you catch a buzz? :) Sorry, had to ask.

Kushmeister - those videos are a trip, huh?! :)

Let's just say I'll be coming back later tonight to check them out properly.

Phew, finally caught up.

Oh, and thanks for having me, X!

Awesome pics X!

Nice bit on bending these ladies over too. I've had to do so much bending the last year. I recall a time I was paranoid about bending and now I just go after em to no end.

Outstanding photos X!
All these great posts about supercropping and stressing to improve trichome production, has got me thinking I'm going to try a few new things on this round.
I might even go in there right now, and slap them around a bit!

wow my mouth is litterally watering after i saw those pics lol
looking sharp dude

Wow.... I thought I was the only one who did this... lol... It was such a good idea at the time lol. Funny enough I accually just rinsed my whole mouth out with isopropynol... it was awful... I tried to play it cool but I really really really thought it looked tasty. Now to poke fun at myself a little more... a year later I came up with the great idea to just dip a little fresh nug in melted chocholate then put in fridge for 30 mins.... ironicly that gave me 30 mins to reconsider the stupid idea but alas I ate it anyway.... clearly I didn't learn the first time.... But I did learn the second time. :)

Jonny

Jonny, I laughed out loud! Especially at this part: ".... ironicly that gave me 30 mins to reconsider the stupid idea but alas I ate it anyway.... clearly I didn't learn the first time.... But I did learn the second time."

Thanks for sharing that story. I'd be lying if I didn't say it seems tempting sometimes! :)

Hi X ....This journal is a great ride ..... Ive been quietly watching and learning a lot . Bending, Nutes, Humidity all great points and great input from all. Also love the psychedelics. I'm a big fan of the artists that did the posters in the 60's .....Cooper, Griffin, Stanley Mouse, Mark Arminski. Once you get used to their style, you can see a poster and know who the artist is. It Sucks that when we get older we have to trade a few bad days to get a few good days. Feel better soon Brother !!

Seeing as how I'm doing my first closet grow, I can't say if low RH is better than high RH. All I know is that all through veg my plants rarely saw RH above 35% except at night when the lights were off and the temps dropped, and this was with a humidifier cranked on high. Normal daytime RH in veg was 25-30% and all my plants look healthy.

What is a good RH for flowering? I think I could easily get it down to under 20% if I turned off the humidifier. Where I live the RH outside is usually well below 20%. Today it's 8%. How low is too low?

My ideal RH for flowering would be in the 30-40% range, with a drop to 15-25% toward the end - last week or so. But, mine have been running lower like yours with no issues lately. I think the lower RH is good for trichome production, but I wouldn't work to get it lower than where you are at now as it might slow flower growth and hurt yield a bit. Like I said, I think if there were an ideal time to let it get real low (say 15-20%) it would probably be the last week as they start to ripen and really resin up.

I think part of the key is that you may need to be careful with nutrient PPM's if you go real low, as they can't tolerate strong nutrient formulations as well with low RH. Also, the hydro thing helps too, as they have constant access to water through the roots. A danger of low RH with soil, for example, is that the soil could dry out too much, too quickly and stress the plant. But, if you're really on with the waterings it may not be an issue.

My ideal RH for flowering would be in the 30-40% range, with a drop to 15-25% toward the end - last week or so. But, mine have been running lower like yours with no issues lately. I think the lower RH is good for trichome production, but I wouldn't work to get it lower than where you are at now as it might slow flower growth and hurt yield a bit. Like I said, I think if there were an ideal time to let it get real low (say 15-20%) it would probably be the last week as they start to ripen and really resin up.

I think part of the key is that you may need to be careful with nutrient PPM's if you go real low, as they can't tolerate strong nutrient formulations as well with low RH. Also, the hydro thing helps too, as they have constant access to water through the roots. A danger of low RH with soil, for example, is that the soil could dry out too much, too quickly and stress the plant. But, if you're really on with the waterings it may not be an issue.

Hey, thanks for the reply to my question X. :thumb:

This is excellent information on RH and I'm not so concerned with my relative low RH levels now.

I have noticed that my RH spikes up after a good watering. When I first got my plants they were sprouts in 5 gal buckets with saturated soil. Very close to being over watered. Over the past 4 weeks I've been trying to let them dry out and only giving them small sips with nutrients. Yesterday evening I gave them their firsts good watering and this morning the RH was up to 65%, the highest I've seen yet and probably too high. I guess I need to run the ventilation at night more, especially after a good watering.

Back
Top Bottom