Xlr8's seed germination technique: Germinating in Rapid Rooter plugs

This is very similar to the process that I have been using with very high success rates albeit with a very low number of seeds. The main difference in my method is that I refrigerate the seeds while they soak and I leave them in there for 2-7 days. The reasoning behind it being we always throw seeds in the cooler the week before we plant on the farm so I just carried it over here. Figured wild plants drop seeds in Fall and they take the next spring so cold stratification should help. I like the idea of the upside down rooter with a slit and will be using that going forward. A comment on starting them under light to encourage females. I have %100 females so far from bag seed starting them with led grow lights on 24/7. Could just be good luck I suppose, but I've never won the lottery so...
My ¢2

I just germinated this new grow in rapid rooters. Only real difference is im running top fed dwc so i just set up my pumps and feeder lines dampened the rooter placed the seed in lightly plugged the hole with a ripped off piece of the rooter covered with a paper plate and turned on my pumps. My led has been on the entire time but as high as i could get it to keep my tent around 75-80 degrees. I did this monday and today i have 2 beautiful sprouts. No pre soaking at all.

This method works like a charm. I had sprouts and roots in 4 days under T5, 76 degrees and 60% RH. I kept a mock Rapid Rooter in the humidity dome, so I'd know how moist the seeded rooters were without having to touch them.

The only germ method that I can seem to get to work 90%+ of the time has been Rapid Rooters in a domed propagation tray with a heat mat. Easy & very few failures. I get twitchy just thinking about doing it the other ways. Lol!

My seed germination technique

I really like Rapid Rooter plugs. I've been germinating seeds in them since I started growing, and now use them for cloning, too. They're great as they can be used to germinate for soil or hydro, and easy to use. They contain important micronutrients and beneficial organisms to stimulate rapid root development. They have a really nice balance between moisture retention and airiness.

Here's my process:

I soak seeds for a few hours in a glass of RO water. The Rapid Rooter is soaked overnight in a glass of RO water.

Making sure my hands are clean and sterile, I shake the excess moisture out of the rapid rooter, or give it a gentle squeeze. Basically, you want them to be "moist" but not soaked/saturated.

I take a sterile tweezers, squeeze it together, and I stick it into the hole of the rapid rooter while I gently twist it around some. I've had better luck if I deepen the hole slightly, and loosen it up a little inside the rooter plug. You could also use a pen, etc. Basically, just loosen it up and make it about a 1/4" deeper than they come from the factory.

I use a clean pen cap as a tool to scoop the seed from the cup of water, and place it into the rooter. I used to do the "paper towel" method of "pre-germinating" seeds, but it is better to plant them directly in the rapid rooter (or whatever medium you use). You will have better success, and quicker development if you skip the whole paper towel thing, in my experience. When putting it into the rooter plug, I put it in pointy end up (hinged end down). Positioning it this way will allow the taproot to make the turn it needs to, and will put the seed in a better position to succeed and remove it's "helmet".

I place the seed about half way down into the rooter (again pointy end up) and then I tear a small piece of rooter plug to cover the hole on the rooter. It should not be "jammed" in there, but placed in somewhat loosely. The hole should be fully covered to not allow light in.

I place the plug in a humidity dome, under t5's. I don't use a seedling heat mat (only for clones and not directly under). I mist the dome periodically, but high RH isn't needed to germ seeds. The rooters shoudn't be allowed to fully dry, and should be moistened periodically with plain RO water.

• Pre-soak seeds in glass for a few hours
  • Pre-soak rooter plug 12-24 hours (probably doesn't need to be that long)
  • Use RO water from store - do not PH balance it
  • Shake/squeeze out excess moisture in the rooter
  • Use a tweezers or pen to loosen up the hole, and make it slightly deeper.
  • Position seed in the rooter plug, pointy end up
  • Cover the hole on the rapid rooter plug by tearing a small piece of the plug, and loosely covering the hole.
  • Place rapid rooter, with seed in it, inside humidity dome, under flourescent lights (I use T5's).
  • Rooter plugs should be moistened with plain RO water periodically, but only moistened
  • Heat mat is not needed - and it can dry the rooter plug too fast. Humidity only needs to be around 50%. I just mist the humidity dome periodically.
  • No nutrients are needed with seedlings until the 3rd set of true leaves.
  • I transplant when roots are showing through the bottom and sides of rooter plugs

I've had 100% success over the last year or so this way. There are lots of ways to do it successfully, this is just mine. X

chocolope_seedling_roots.jpg

Hey dude I’m just wondering how wet you keep your rooters after they break ground. And do you keep them in a humidity dome.? I started 2 seeds and the roots just never developed. I believe I may have rotted them with too much water in the plugs... do you keep them at the same moisture level as when they are fresh out of the bag? I’ve realized not to keep water in the tray cause these things sponge it up like crazy. Do you bottom water or spray from the top?

Nice article first of all. Newbie here. After they sprout how much light do you give them. I have a 1500w led with veg and bloom switches. How far should they be away from the lights. And how much and when do you water them? Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom