Xlr8's seed germination technique: Germinating in Rapid Rooter plugs

Thank you so much for this post. Everybody has there own way of doing things but this sounds the best.
Bout to start my first grow and was looking for a good germination method.
Going to start my holy grail kush and cotton candy seeds using this method.
I have been thinking about soaking the rooters in a mild formulex solution, anybody tried this?

If not I'm just going to stick to your method

Thats fine mate just make sure its not stronger than 0.6 ec. im not sure what that is in ppm. i must say if tried this technique with about 80 seeds now and i have a much higher failure rate. it might be something im doing wrong but ive lost maybe 10-12 seeds like this. I usually unlucky if i lose 1 using paper towel method.

Thats fine mate just make sure its not stronger than 0.6 ec. im not sure what that is in ppm. i must say if tried this technique with about 80 seeds now and i have a much higher failure rate. it might be something im doing wrong but ive lost maybe 10-12 seeds like this. I usually unlucky if i lose 1 using paper towel method.

Cheers mate, will keep low e.c...what is your preferred method because I'm yet to start my first seeds and the paper towel method just seems a bit "old school" for lack of a better phrase.
I also got given a heated propagator so would like to make use of it.

Going to check your links now

There are so many factors... The paper towel method sure can work, but I've rarely ever lost a seedling in a rooter plug doing it the way I do. I won't argue that a lot of successful growers like Cultivator use their own methods (paper towel or other) and it works well for them, but I do prefer reduced handling with young and fragile seedlings. The method I use and describe is very similar to how Subcool germinates, for those that are familiar with his work. I should note that I've rarely lost a seedling using the paper towel method, either - but I prefer the rooter plugs personally. Many ways to do it successfully - the key is to find a way that works for you and perfect it! :)

Well I just followed your method to the letter...well actually not to the letter.
I have a heated propagator so I out it in a timer, 15 on, 30 off.
I also infused dampkring method of germination by adding a bit of wet perlite to the bottom which I placed the rooter tray on.
My first time so I'm just raising a seed I found in a bag for a week as a practice run.

X I tried using plugs and had too many failures for first time in years. The paper towel method absolutely works and all the talk of handling them Is irrelevant if they are working. As long as u are careful it's spot on.

How are u anyway, I haven't seen u around for ages. Hope.u are good mate.

I'm currently on day 2 of the plug method. No sign of any movement yet but I'm keeping my hopes high.
Humidity keeps ranging between 50-80%
Temps are at 21°c (69f)

I have the lid halfway off as humidity was reaching 90%

This my first attempt so fingers crossed, willn try another method if this doesn't work

Hi Hidden - you shouldn't need to add any heat, and honestly it could cause problems if you're not very careful. The biggest risks here once they are in the plugs are too much moisture or not enough - and added heat can dry the plugs out especially fast and kill the seedlings. They're capable of germing in a wide range of environmental conditions if they are good seeds. (Keep in mind in nature they may need to do so when it's 50f or whatever...). That said, your conditions sound good overall. Hope they spring up for you. :)

To be fair it is just a bag seed that had been sitting on the side so I'm not holding my breath. It's cold here so without the heated dome temps drop to as low as 60f.
The only things that worry me are that Imay have stuff the top a bit too much with plug ripped from side.
And that I squeezed out too much water from my plug.
Will keep you posted.

Hidden -

Bagseed can be very hit or miss, and is often hermaphroditic. The failure rate on bagseed can be huge, depending on the quality of the seeds and how they were handled/stored. It helps if you know how to identify good seeds to pluck from the bag. Look for seeds that are brownish/black with striping or markings on them. Go to a seed site or somewhere you can look at photos of a healthy seed and try to find seeds in your bag that look similar (maybe you've already considered these things). They should appear intact and shouldn't be white or green at all (immature).

Quality seeds from a breeder aren't cheap, but they should sprout for you nearly 100% of the time if you do it correctly and carefully. That said, bagseed is a great way to practice and get the feel for things - just don't be shocked if the results are less than stellar or if you have a high failure rate...

:goodluck:

X

Baby had just popped the stuffed but on top off and is now attempting to lose her shell. Will update with pictures as soon as I work out how to do it on here!

This had been a good practice run so far and it has allowed me to "pop my cherry" for lack of a better phrase...ok I could have thought of a better phrase I just wanted to say popped my cherry.
Think it's time to move on to my main 3 seeds that I brought...
Holy grail kush
Cotton candy
Blz bud/liberty haze (can't make my mind up)

Again thanks for the help man

Baby is about 3 inches now nearly but still has her seed head...it's quite ridiculous looking lol.
She has been good practice.
Currently cleaning hydrocorn to ready my buckets

I'm having some real stretching issues here, I don't want to turn on my LEDs as they will use too much power for this early stage, currently using 2 x 20w cfl (125w immatations) ad I feel that's not enough....any suggestions?

I'm having some real stretching issues here, I don't want to turn on my LEDs as they will use too much power for this early stage, currently using 2 x 20w cfl (125w immatations) ad I feel that's not enough....any suggestions?

For how many seedlings? Just make sure to put those close to the seedlings. CFL's can be put pretty close to the seedlings without causing them much stress. Too far away, and they will stretch out. Also, make sure you have enough cfl's to cover the amount of seedlings you have. You want them to be close... Or, use you led's and just dial down the wattage if you can or start them a little farther away and move them closer (full disclosure: I'm not an expert on using LED's at all).

By close, I mean within an inch or so. Are the in a dome still? If so, they should be eased out of it right away. Let me know if that's the case and if you need more info on what I mean.

Yes its because they were still in the dome and too far from the lights. They are only 20w cfls....popping down to my local hydro store tomorrow to get a 125w cfl blue spectrum in order to stop this.
When should I remove the dome, as soon as it rears its pretty head?

Good thing I done a practice run with a bag seed

Sorry if this is too late - but I typically start to condition them to be out of the dome once they show their first set of true leaves (not the rounded cotyledons). What I do is vent the dome first for a day, and then start taking the dome off periodically the next, then removing it completely. I may vary the timing sometimes, but that's a rough estimate. Now, this depends somewhat on having a decent environment outside of the dome, too. You don't want your ambient RH to be too dry outside the dome to avoid issues. I like 50-60% RH, give or take.

Yes, a practice run is a good idea. You'll also learn that they are pretty tough and resilient to many mistakes. They are... weeds, afterall. :)

Back
Top Bottom