Xlr8's seed germination technique: Germinating in Rapid Rooter plugs

Was not too late as my baby has not grown in days, I just got my 125w cfl thru the door now and will put her under that. I had already Began training to leave the dome as the dome humidity was up to 90% at times, so I would leave vents and corner open to keep it at 60%.
Outside my dome has high humidity levels and a greenhouse heater so shouldn't be too bad.
I still have not got round to reading the section on how to upload pics and rules but will do that later and hopefully get a couple pics up.

Yeah I finally got a new laptop too so no more mobile posting.
I have started germination and I'm just waiting for them to pop their heads above the plug.
Journal should be started toda...tomorrow ast the latest

Just thought I would let those who care know that all my babies germinated nicely and you can see how they are doing in my journal....thanks xlr!

hi glad to b here with all the knowledge and good people.i have been growing medicinal marijuana for almost 10 yrs now.well as the story goes i started lookin around the net for seed germ techniques ,just wandering if there was some new way (better way).so i come across this here thread.i have sprouted well over 200 seeds (not bagseed)all bought our gifted .i have tried all the methods discussed here.i came up with doin it the way xlr8 does it about 5-6 years ago.the only thing i did different was always putting the pointy end down.out of the 200 plus seeds i have sprouted using my method, i have a 98 percent succes rate.well i said to myself maybe this guy xlr8 is on to something.so i took 25 seeds of 8 different strains just like i do every new year,and did half with pointy end up(the way xlr8 describes),and half the way i always did it(pointy end down).well in the last few days i have seen the results,and i am not to impressed with the results.5 of the 12 with pointy end up ended up with the taproot growing out of the top of the cube and the head (or first set of leaves)stuck in the cube.this happened to 3 different strains(so i dont think it is strain dependent).i dont think it was that they were not deep enough in rooter.and i dont think that any enviromental factors were to blame.i have never seen this happen thru out my time growing.the only thing i can say that could of caused this was the fact that the seeds were pointed up.the whole tap root started turning green like the stalk of the plant.so i just mixed up a few cups of promix and and stuck them in .doin much better now.the other 12 doin it my way did fine,and believe it or not they are scores ahead of the other set,they have all popped and shed there seed husk and are sturdy.the others (pointy end up) all popped but are behind in growth and two of them still have there seed husk attached.so i myself cant see putting the pointy end up ever again.so all newbies please consider this when setting out to do this.

not tryin to hate on anybody just sharing my experince

X, I have been using this post as my "bible" for seed germination since I started my BID memorial grow...It was in the 80s here today, but I am expecting it to return to colder temps in the next couple of months. I want to get some plants established for outside transplanting by the end of May and want to have a good MOTHER plant for cloning also. I am finally back into the swing of things after a LONG hiatus, but on a MUCH SMALLER scale.
:cheesygrinsmiley::circle-of-love:

I'm having some issues using this technique of late. Well I say using this technique, I doubt its the technique at fault but I had 3 seeds not germ out of 8 and I'm unsure why. All 3 of these seeds failed to sink when soaking in water so this is obviously a factor as to why they didn't germ.
Also, I find that my seeds have about a 50% chance of not shedding its skin membrane...am I doing something wrong?

I'm having some issues using this technique of late. Well I say using this technique, I doubt its the technique at fault but I had 3 seeds not germ out of 8 and I'm unsure why. All 3 of these seeds failed to sink when soaking in water so this is obviously a factor as to why they didn't germ.
Also, I find that my seeds have about a 50% chance of not shedding its skin membrane...am I doing something wrong?
SOME TIMES SEEDS JUST DON'T GERMINATE, I have some right now that I wonder if they will germinate or not....only time will tell. I have found that pale colored seeds lacking size and dark color with spots seem to have problems germinating. Must have something to do with maturity???? Don't know for sure....:Namaste:

Hi Guys. Sorry to dig up the old thread. I am new here and new to gardening. I started out my germination with Rapid Rooters and a humidity dome. I read varied opinions on how to get them started so I used a similar method as the OP posted... except I didn't put anything in the hole to "plug it". Well this was a mistake. My seedlings tap root couldn't penetrate the rapid rooter. As the root began to grow, it literally pushed the entire seedling out of the rapid rooter. I had a couple long white bean sprout looking things that were jumping out of the rooters/tray. I have tried to gently "Transplant" the seedlings in some Happy Frog to see if they will recover but I'm very optimistic.

I am going to try again with plugging the top of the rooter with some of its own material. I also poked a couple holes with a pointy chopstick in the hole to hopefully make a route for the tap root to start out.

All in all, I had 4 out of 6 do OK with out plugging the tops. Only 2 of them jumped out of their homes. I'm thinking that plugging the tops will allow for them to take root much better. Thanks for the advice and I will let you know if I have better results this time.

Thanks!

Created a PDF

Like it has been said:

"I have been using this Post as my "Bible" for Seed Germination" (Hozona)(02-05-2015, 07:59 PM)(Rapid Rooter Plugs Germination).

This is a crucial post for both Newbies and Professionals (or anyone "starting out"/"wanting to try something new" in regards to germination, Rapid Rooter® Plugs and hydroponics).

Regards

mr.Tank

I don't know about everyone else, but I've been having great success with Xlr8's tutorial using the lights at 24/24 until the first 3 nodes appear, then switching to 18/6.

With a 100% success rate.

But that's just me.

I swear by Xlr8's method and have been using it ever since I came across this tutorial.

-Tank

It it ok to expose the roots to the light or do I need to cover the rooter until the roots looks like it does in the OPs picture.

The light and air will probably kill the roots, so keep them out if it. I stick my Rapid Rooters in a Solo cup (holes cut in bottom) with coco and let the seedlings develop in that. Take a look at my just started grow journal: Blue Dream Grow Journal

Hey Xlr8, great post on germination, going to give this way a go, it seems fantastic. When you soak your rapid rooters in R/O water are you adding any cal/mag or is it 100% plain R/O until you transplant them? Also this is my first time using R/O, do I need to ph balance R/O water, I'm reading and seeing mixed things. Do you happen to add 20% normal tap water to help buffer your nutrients?

First time trying RR plugs out , I got 4 out 4
Two came up with the husk attached that bumped off easy enough with tweezers

I was worried about drenching the plugs when watering so placed a jar over each and watered , the water adsorbed over the rooters slowly and evenly threw the clay pebbles

I placed the rooters at the top of the net pot so each had the whole net pot to work in

The rooters are leveled at the surface in clay pebbles and will be hand watering for the next 4 days or week before the buckets get nutrients

Thanks for this, X ... best tutorial on seed starting I've seen. I just started my first seeds for my first indoor grow, and I used your method. Result: 100% (6 for 6). I did put 2 of the Rooters into solo cups with Espoma Organic seed starter, as an experiment These two are slightly ahead of the others, so I'll probably go that way from now on.

Back
Top Bottom