Xlr8's seed germination technique: Germinating in Rapid Rooter plugs

Great info!! Has anyone used this method for feminized autoflower seeds. I'm using crop kings auto fem seeds, and they only guarantee 80% germ success rate using the soak and paper towel method. Any thoughts? Thanks. Do you need a special light to work under while placing the cracked seed from water into the rooter or is regular light ok for this step. Also, is distilled water ok to use?

Great info!! Has anyone used this method for feminized autoflower seeds. I'm using crop kings auto fem seeds, and they only guarantee 80% germ success rate using the soak and paper towel method. Any thoughts? Thanks. Do you need a special light to work under while placing the cracked seed from water into the rooter or is regular light ok for this step. Also, is distilled water ok to use?

Yes! I used this method for some autoflowers feminized seeds I had and I got a 100% success rate with three seeds. Also, I used distilled water as well and everything turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Awesome and thank you for your response. Ok so I'm using ffof ocean forest smart naturals mixed 70/30 with chunky perlite in a 5 gal smart pot. I was thinking of using the water soak till they pop, or don't, then in the middle of my smart pot dig hole about the size of a red solo cup and fill that with a 70/30 reverse mix 70 perlite/30 ffof (because i read that ffof might be to "hot" for germinating or sprouting until they get a little bigger. Then, putting cracked seed into the root starter and then root starter into the middle of pot where the 70/30 mostly perlite mix is. Then water? And place my pot into tent under 300w galaxy hydro led light. (I was thinking that once they get through the root starter, and then the solo cup sized mostly perlite mix they will be strong/big enough to handle the mostly ffof mix without nute burn.

Alternatively, the hydro shop suggested I could just fill with straight ffof and water it till the drain off was a light tea color (to reduce the soils nutrient potency a bit) . Then just put cracked seed directly in that soil and then under light say 20/4. This would eliminate transplanting an autoflower once it sprouts.

My questions are

I have a tray with inserts for the root starters and a humidity dome. If I put cracked seeds in the starters and in the humidity dome, do I put that under light in tent until sprouted and then plant the sprout in root starter straight in the middle of my prepared pot? And also, if I use 300w led light, how close do I put the light to the seed, to get it to sprout?

Lots of ??s I know, but obviously it's my first serious attempt at this and want success. Any advice from you experienced folks would be greatly appreciated.

"If you don't like my fire, then don't come around... cause I'm gonna burn one down"
Ben Harper

How long do you think a seed should be germinate before throwing it away because I have had seeds take up to 3 weeks before witch is strange isn't it should only be 48 house ?

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Doesn't matter which way the seeds are turned.

I don't know everything. My opinion is just that. It's up to you to research the information offered by me or anyone else. It's not wise to act on the first opinion you get.

If I'm growing in coco /Perlite can I place the plugs directly in my coco medium once I drop the seed? Or do I have to wait for the roots to appear in the bottom?

Also, if I'm growing in coco /Perlite, do I need to ph the RO water to 5.8ish when soaking?

Thanks!!

Could somebody explain to me how you can germinate in the rapid rooter without using any lightbulbs? Also what lamp would i need to use HPS lightbulbs? Thank you!

It works well to flip the rr upside down poke a hole drop the seed in and water it down to germinate before planting , once it sprouts you place it buried level in the Coco or pebbles for those using pebbles..

If I'm growing in coco /Perlite can I place the plugs directly in my coco medium once I drop the seed? Or do I have to wait for the roots to appear in the bottom?

Also, if I'm growing in coco /Perlite, do I need to ph the RO water to 5.8ish when soaking?

Thanks!!

As the seed is below ground for the first 3 or 4 days light is not required once it sprouts you want to put under the light for 18hrs a day.
Although many use a light bulb for warmth from start to finish of germination

You can use common 20w CFL light bulbs for germination and up to few inch tall seedlings

For speedy germination the environment should be kept between 70 and 80 degrees measured on the soils surface.

Consider a LED grow light although more expensive then a HPS ballasts / bulb they fit well with small grows.

Or

If your thinking of doing a 3x3 or 4x4 a 600w hps with electronic ballasts would be perfect and produce a bumper crop.

Could somebody explain to me how you can germinate in the rapid rooter without using any lightbulbs? Also what lamp would i need to use HPS lightbulbs? Thank you!

I cant grow indoors for this grow, so i am planning on transferring the plant outdoors once the roots start coming through the sides of the RR. But do you have any tips on how to transfer the plant into the soil? Also i know soil on the slighty acidic side is perfect for marijuana but would you by chance know from experience what soil works best? Thank you a lot

I used to grow outdoor.

You can tell what PH the areas soil is by the trees or plants PH profile that surround the area.

Soils near cedar will be very acidic and require Lime where as soils near Fir or spruce would be more neutral and not require lime.

This goes for plants and grasses you can use them as your guide to the soils PH profile , many plants grow in acid soils others flourish in more neutral soils.

Swampy type areas water PH can be checked with a PH pen the soils around it will be of a close PH value

When in the field check the water supplies PH and adjust as necessary.

PH pens are cheap same with PPM pens don't forget to buy some

The RR are for Clones

People use them with seeds but its not ideal

You should just plant in a 6 inch pot and call it done

if you want to use up RR you already have stick the RR in a 6 inch pot to grow for a while before transplanting to the great outdoors.

If you just want to use a RR without a secondary pot , don't use a pot just use the rapid rooter and move it out to the spot when its sprouted.

I'll put this out to you

how are you going to carry them

figure it out and do it , its not that big of a task.

This post has been a great help as im starting my first grow and i think i will germinate me seeds in RR upsidedown and cut a 1/4 in deep slit with an exacto blade (so the hole will self close) or ill plug it if it doesnt want to close lol.. i plan on using RO water

I plan on using GH rapid start with a 1 or 2 gallon tank.. first question.. when should i start that nute?

I also have bioag ful-power and the GH flora 3 part ive seen people say they use the ful-power in the seed soak and was curious what you all think of that idea? Maybe just ful-power till it sinks then RO?

Im sure i have more questions as for lighting i have 2 150w cfl and a 300w hydro led.. plan on using the cfl for germinating (dont worry i wont over heat them) but i know the cfl needs to be closer

Well talk to you all soon!

This post has been a great help as im starting my first grow and i think i will germinate me seeds in RR upsidedown and cut a 1/4 in deep slit with an exacto blade (so the hole will self close) or ill plug it if it doesnt want to close lol.. i plan on using RO water

I plan on using GH rapid start with a 1 or 2 gallon tank.. first question.. when should i start that nute?

I also have bioag ful-power and the GH flora 3 part ive seen people say they use the ful-power in the seed soak and was curious what you all think of that idea? Maybe just ful-power till it sinks then RO?

Im sure i have more questions as for lighting i have 2 150w cfl and a 300w hydro led.. plan on using the cfl for germinating (dont worry i wont over heat them) but i know the cfl needs to be closer

Well talk to you all soon!

Glad it was helpful! Hope it's going well. :cheer:

The RR are for Clones

People use them with seeds but its not ideal

You should just plant in a 6 inch pot and call it done

if you want to use up RR you already have stick the RR in a 6 inch pot to grow for a while before transplanting to the great outdoors.

If you just want to use a RR without a secondary pot , don't use a pot just use the rapid rooter and move it out to the spot when its sprouted.

I'll put this out to you

how are you going to carry them

figure it out and do it , its not that big of a task.

If I were growing in dirt, then I'd probably put a seed right in the dirt also. As a hydro grower, though, rapid rooters are a great way to germinate seeds, as well as their use for clones.

Back
Top Bottom