Yankeetoker's 2nd Grow Attempt - 2016 - All Advice Welcome!

I think you are fine Yankee and yes you do need to make sure your temps are under control and it will kinda mess with the swelling of the buds if there is tooooo much heat but try leaving the tent open during lights on and lots of air flow... Other than a swamp cooler or something which is not cheap... I think that's you best option... If you have it try making some worm casting tea... if you have some castings around you haven't used let me know and I will give you a recipe for the tea and if you have some SeaCom (organic seaweed stuff) you can throw that in there too and my girls love it during flower and it makes my buds swell up pretty and nice.... Happy Memorial Day my friend....:circle-of-love:

For the heat, Dennise gave you some good advice :volcano-smiley: For the nute issues, I'm not sure what the issue is. It looks like it might just be an N defic, so the worm castings should be an easy way to find out. If they green up after, you're good. They appear to me to be also just a touch pale overall, so they may be low on Mg as I'm guessing you have city water that is probably low in minerals - soft water. If so, you will need to supplement the missing Ca/Mg. They should be fine though. :thumb:

I think you are fine Yankee and yes you do need to make sure your temps are under control and it will kinda mess with the swelling of the buds if there is tooooo much heat but try leaving the tent open during lights on and lots of air flow... Other than a swamp cooler or something which is not cheap... I think that's you best option... If you have it try making some worm casting tea... if you have some castings around you haven't used let me know and I will give you a recipe for the tea and if you have some SeaCom (organic seaweed stuff) you can throw that in there too and my girls love it during flower and it makes my buds swell up pretty and nice.... Happy Memorial Day my friend....:circle-of-love:

Dennise...Exactly what I was thinking to do (with regards to leaving the tent open a bit)....just have to "mask" the odor from the girls, because they are starting to smell real good. I do have some worm castings, so that recipe would be greatly appreciated! Don't have SeaCom, I just have kelp meal (would that work)?

Thanks for stopping in!

For the heat, Dennise gave you some good advice :volcano-smiley: For the nute issues, I'm not sure what the issue is. It looks like it might just be an N defic, so the worm castings should be an easy way to find out. If they green up after, you're good. They appear to me to be also just a touch pale overall, so they may be low on Mg as I'm guessing you have city water that is probably low in minerals - soft water. If so, you will need to supplement the missing Ca/Mg. They should be fine though. :thumb:

I added some fish fert (low in nitrogen, but more available phosphorus and potassium) to their water on Friday, so we'll see how they respond (will take some pics tonight). Otherwise I can top dress with worm castings or based on your comments, I may just add some CalMag to the tea when I get the recipe from Dennise.

Thanks for stopping in and taking a look, much appreciated!

YT

1. Begin with a 5 gallon bucket of water,
*rain water can be used immediately
*tap water may be used ONLY after it sits overnight.
*softened water cannot be use because the salt content would damage plants.

2. Stir in 1 quart of worm castings

3. Pour in 2 tbsp. of molasses or corn syrup into the water for food that encourages the growth of beneficial micro-organisms in all plants, turf and grasses or this case weeds..:)
(NOTE: 2 tbsp of fish emulsion or fish oil and / or liquid seaweed may be added to increase fungal activity, which is good for woody plants and shrubs (and Lord knows I like my weeds to look like shrubs) If these protein products are used, aerate for 24 hours.)

4. Aerate the water with an air stone attached to a fish tank pump (a common aquarium bubbler) Brew for 24 hours. It will add O2 into the water. For best results of maximize development, use worm casting tea within 48 hours so the micro-organisms will still be active.

Put tea into a container with a spout and pour it straight into the soil to be absorbed into the plant's root system and/or put tea into pump sprayer and spray onto leaves. I pour it straight into the dirt and do not use it as a foliar but I'm sure it would work fine if that is how you decide to use it.

Use the castings as a top dressing for your girls... Do Not discard them....

I actually sometimes don't need 5 gallons worth so I take my cloner bucket... it's 1 gallon and just use 1/5 about of the instructed ingredients and use the pump in it and add the air stone and it works great too... Hope this helps ya a bit... It makes a world of difference to my girls and they absolutely love it and show me how much too....:circle-of-love:

1. Begin with a 5 gallon bucket of water,
*rain water can be used immediately
*tap water may be used ONLY after it sits overnight.
*softened water cannot be use because the salt content would damage plants.

2. Stir in 1 quart of worm castings

3. Pour in 2 tbsp. of molasses or corn syrup into the water for food that encourages the growth of beneficial micro-organisms in all plants, turf and grasses or this case weeds..:)
(NOTE: 2 tbsp of fish emulsion or fish oil and / or liquid seaweed may be added to increase fungal activity, which is good for woody plants and shrubs (and Lord knows I like my weeds to look like shrubs) If these protein products are used, aerate for 24 hours.)

4. Aerate the water with an air stone attached to a fish tank pump (a common aquarium bubbler) Brew for 24 hours. It will add O2 into the water. For best results of maximize development, use worm casting tea within 48 hours so the micro-organisms will still be active.

Put tea into a container with a spout and pour it straight into the soil to be absorbed into the plant's root system and/or put tea into pump sprayer and spray onto leaves. I pour it straight into the dirt and do not use it as a foliar but I'm sure it would work fine if that is how you decide to use it.

Use the castings as a top dressing for your girls... Do Not discard them....

I actually sometimes don't need 5 gallons worth so I take my cloner bucket... it's 1 gallon and just use 1/5 about of the instructed ingredients and use the pump in it and add the air stone and it works great too... Hope this helps ya a bit... It makes a world of difference to my girls and they absolutely love it and show me how much too....:circle-of-love:

Since these girls need a drink ASAP, can I just add the seaweed to their water tonight and do a tea when I have the luxury of more time?

YT

Update from last night....

Temps continued to skyrocket in the tent, so I shut one of the lights off and moved the other to the center of the tent. The footprint is not as big, but the temps in the tent dropped by 5 degrees rather quickly. What I will do moving forward is alternate which light I will switch off 4 hours after lights on....

Also, I left the tent open a bit and made sure both vents at the bottom were open when lights were on....despite all of this, the buds continue to stack on these girls! Will add some pics later tonight.

On my way to pick up some liquid seaweed which I will add to tonight's water along with some CalMag.

YT

Update 6/1 p.m. (Day 22 in flower)

After watering Hope and Lexi and doing a light removal of yellow/dead leaves, conditions in tent were 81 degrees and 55%RH when I returned them.

Prepared 1 gallon each for Hope and Lexi of ph adjusted water (6.3-6.5) with 2 tbsp liquid kelp, 1 tbsp fish fert (2-4-1), and 1/2 tsp of CalMag. Had about 25-30% runoff from each pot.

Left the front of the tent open at the top and opened vent on left side of tent. Turned the 2nd 150w HPS back on to see how temps run. Fans in tent on blast!

A few pics of Hope.....

20160601_213409-1.jpg

20160601_213419-1.jpg

20160601_213457-1.jpg

And Lexi....

20160601_214221-1.jpg

20160601_214249-1.jpg

20160601_214314-1.jpg

Thanks for your time....

YT

20160606_225223-1.jpg

Updates:

On Saturday night I started a compost tea with the following:
* 4 gallons of rainwater
* 2 tbsp each of molasses, liquid kelp, and fish fertilizer
* 2 cups of compost, 1 cup each of humus and ewc

I allowed it to "brew" for 24 hours before giving all three plants 1 gallon of ph adjusted compost tea. The 3 small autos that I have in 2 gallon pots were each given 1/2 gallon of ph adjusted tea.

Lexi and Hope continue to defol themselves actually, so not as much foliage, but buds continue to stack. Not a lot of pics but above is a pic of Hope at Day 28 of flowering from last night...

YT:circle-of-love:

I need to put some additional pics up of the other 2 girls. Hope is the "healthiest" looking, Bernie is the most underdeveloped (but is trying to catch up), and Lexi got way too tall is suffering from heat stress from being too close to lights....:thumb:

YT

Back
Top Bottom