Yellow & brown leaf

hjayu94

I am a little worried about my first ever plant. I know the 2 cotyledon leaves are supossed to fall off, but the first set of leaves look dead as well! Do they fall off too??? The rest of the leaves look great to me, and it seems to be growing really well, so I'm confused.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20190319-170123.png

You can see 1 of the first leaves here. It is much more yellow, and has brown spots. My plant doesnt "wake up" until 9pm, but I can take better pics then. Its gotten even more yellow/brown, but zero signs on any other leaf.

Thanks!

Hi @hjayu94 ! I suspect even without hearing any more that you are still over watering by watering too often. This is the most common way to lose those lower leaves this early on, because no, the plants are not really supposed to lose the cotyledons, nor the first fan leaves. These early failures are your canaries in the coal mine signalling danger to the watering crew....
There is a problem with the lower roots.
Most likely you are watering too often, and without waiting for the container to become bone dry... I mean really really dry, all the way to the bottom. If you can still feel water weight in the container when you come along and water, thinking that the top is dry so you must, you are doing this all wrong. You have to let a weed breathe between waterings ... those lower roots need to get oxygen.
I invite you to read my piece on proper watering and learn about the wet/dry cycle. This is going to help your plant immensely and instead of those puffy droopy leaves, you will see healthy strong leaves reaching toward the light... and not dying.
It's the most common mistake made when people learn how to grow a weed. You can't be kind to them. They actually thrive in adversity. You will figure it out once you see what a healthy plant should look like. Good luck! :peace::love:

Thank you, thank you! I'm sure you are right. Why do soooo many places say to water when the "top inch" is dry if this is simply wrong??

I almost want to start over.. but the plant can still be worth while I'm sure. Plus still have lots to learn in other stages as well!
Because people without real experience with this weed think that it grows just like a tomato. There is also a problem of understanding that while watering like a miser is appropriate in veg while you are trying to force the weed to grow roots, when you get to flower it is a whole different ball game. There, you dont want the top roots in that top 3 inches of soil to totally dry out, and sticking your finger in there to test whether you need a full or a light watering that day is totally appropriate. There are few real experts in this outside of those who have really well consistently and are able to write about it. Many of the rest are simply those who think they can explain all of watering science when it comes to a weed in a simple paragraph or a simple adage... but I have learned after many years of study that it is a little bit more complicated than this.
Keep going with this lucky plant by all means. You have just learned how to water her. Watch her fly now!

Thanks Old Salt. Puts my mind at rest for now! Really didn't expect 1 leaf could die so early like that. Again, it was the first leaf... And I had overwatered to start the grow, so perhaps that is why!

Screenshot_20190319-211711.png
It could have something to do with watering early but I wouldn’t worry man she looks strong she could just be hungry maybe up your PPm a bit if plants can’t pull enough from the soil they will kill off and suck out the nutes from the oldest lest productive growth it also could be that that strain could have smaller leaf structure and there for that “singe blade” leaf could have reached its max size and potential and now is getting old and dieing off to allow newer far more helpful growth don’t worry she looks fine great job for your first plant

Thanks for all the replies!

@Emilya : You have been most helpful since I joined here recently, and it's appreciated! I like the care and passion you have. I am going to try and wait longer between waterings, and really make sure it is good and dry first! Worst that could happen... I start under watering, and learn what tooo little water is as well. Also, I really did think the cotyledon leaves were supossed to fall off for some reason... teaching me :D

@Canadianclstgrower : Thank you! Won't let the one leaf get me too worried. Just a good experience to learn from, reviewing everything done so far, to see what improvements could be made. I haven't paid any attention to ppm either, so perhaps that's something I should consider. I do check pH before watering however.

P.s. Thanks for using the word "puffy" Lol. I was trying to figure out what looked so different with my pics, compared to average pics of seedlings online. That's exactly it! Normally the leaves do look much thinner, almost paper like. Mine are looking bloated!

Thanks for all the replies!

@Emilya : You have been most helpful since I joined here recently, and it's appreciated! I like the care and passion you have. I am going to try and wait longer between waterings, and really make sure it is good and dry first! Worst that could happen... I start under watering, and learn what tooo little water is as well. Also, I really did think the cotyledon leaves were supossed to fall off for some reason... teaching me :D

@Canadianclstgrower : Thank you! Won't let the one leaf get me too worried. Just a good experience to learn from, reviewing everything done so far, to see what improvements could be made. I haven't paid any attention to ppm either, so perhaps that's something I should consider. I do check pH before watering however.
PH ( potential of hydrogen) is very important as it will gauge what nutes the plants can and can’t acsess but ppm is also very important I like to start light around 250-300ppm and slowly work up as the weeks pass until they can take pretty much Egactly what the feed schedule calls for so try grabbing a cheap TDS(ppm) meter don’t need anything fancy the $20 ones off amazon work, the ppm will allow you to not only know what goes in but you can test your run off and you will know how much they are eating telling you how strong to keep your solution

Ill likely pick one of those up soon thanks. Will start monitoring this!

Im also quite confused about run off.. I've seen this being talked about a lot, and from the sound of it, assumed it was extra water that ran out of the soil when watering?? But if I gave my plant enough water to do this, it wouldn't dry up for a couple weeks. I am already overwatering as it is :oops::confused:

Im also quite confused about run off.. I've seen this being talked about a lot, and from the sound of it, assumed it was extra water that ran out of the soil when watering?? But if I gave my plant enough water to do this, it wouldn't dry up for a couple weeks. I am already overwatering as it is :oops::confused:
Then you are in too big of a container for that plant.

ive enjoyed reading all the support for this thread, im still learning too and found out what they look like with too much and too little...... you will LEARN!!!!!! lol
the too big a container concerns me because we went from seedlings to a 7 gal cloth pot, ill have to keep an eye on that. we didn't want to keep transplanting auto's.

ive enjoyed reading all the support for this thread, im still learning too and found out what they look like with too much and too little...... you will LEARN!!!!!! lol
the too big a container concerns me because we went from seedlings to a 7 gal cloth pot, ill have to keep an eye on that. we didn't want to keep transplanting auto's.
If you want a top on growing in an oversized pot/ container my general guideline is that I will put my girls from seedling pot or solo cup to 5gal fabric pots from there I start at 250-500ml of nutrient at feed days and on water days I will put no less than 500ml max about750 mind you this is just to start you will notice them drying up faster and faster you will know it’s time to up the amount of water when they can drink it all up in about a day or so (I am growing in a pro mix HP some substrate will vary) but about one day is a good rule of thumb and you just add about 500ml maybe more each time this is also a good indicator that they can take a higher ppm aswel if you aren’t doing a gentle gradual feed

My girls about a week and a half into veg pro mix 5gal fabric pots on a gradual feed regime never watered more than a leister a plant yet they are going strong with the lst

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    673.4 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 50

Sorry about late replay to this but if your having moisture issues I would def recommend cutting wayyy back on watering at her size I would say no more than a litre for both your feeds and waters than let her dry up good keep track of how long this takes and than you will have a base line to build off of

Thank you, thank you! I'm sure you are right. Why do soooo many places say to water when the "top inch" is dry if this is simply wrong??

I almost want to start over.. but the plant can still be worth while I'm sure. Plus still have lots to learn in other stages as well!

also depends what medium you are growing in.
if its soil you want it to get dry, it makes the roots shoot out looking for water

Lol! Yes, lots of poor info out there.. Which is what makes 420mag so nice! Not just an article, but rather an on-going conversation with people.

I was definitely water too often when first starting.. And now realizing purhaps the amount is a little heavy too. Thanks so much all. Feel like this has been a great learning experience already.

Back
Top Bottom