yellow dots

Respect

I finally got the O.K. from my girlfriend to build a legitimate grow box in her closet. I had previously started a disgusting temporary operation in a large cardboard box in hopes to transfer to a friends house. Once losing that opportunity, and getting the go-ahead, I set to work on a real grow box I built it out tri-fold room divider. Much like those screens you see people changing behind in old-school movies but with only 3 sections. I'm fairly impressed with its construction and unfortunately didn't have a camera to take pictures of the steps. It's not entirely finished so I'm thinking of starting a journal and start with the construction of the box seeing as many people may have access to one of these dividers in their own home.
My problem is I have two very healthy sprouts that have been going for a week. I've got a suspended license until the end of this week so I can't get to the hardware store just yet. Their is a veg chamber on top to find females and a large flowering section underneath. In order to keep the two I have now alive I sided the veg section with cardboard coated with aluminum foil. I have mylar but am not using it until I can go to the hardware store and find a permanent siding material. I have a single CFL directly over each plant, I'll be adding another two lights and they have been growing extremely strongly for 9 days, the smaller one, 8 days. I planted the smaller one a day later than the first. I've been extremely worried about the dangers of aluminum foil and hotspots. I haven't had a problem for over a week but today I noticed two brown spots on the day older plant. They were both on the first two (largest) leaves the plant sprouted, each single spot on either leaf. Now I'm very concerned about hotspots but a did use a diluted fertilizer for the first time the night before. Never having seen hotspots before, is this what they look like or is it just the fertilizer?

000_1281.JPG
I messed with the lighting on this one so you could see the spot better

000_1280_1.jpg
Mad blurry but the best I could do with a digital. I have a bunch of really nice 35mm but would have to wait to get film developed.

000_1282_2.jpg
Lighting setup.

Help!

The same has started on my second plant. Its definitely getting worse on the first as the one leaf is straightening out and i fear it is prepared to curl. I know I'm only using CFL's but since they've been this close for over a week could that be burning them? Though that wouldn't make any sense as the lower leaves are affected. Again i used a diluted fertalizer. It's a Microbial plant food made by Epsoma. It has a total nitrogen (N) level of 3%.

Please respond

I'm using CFLS and had the same problem..but the leaves that burn gradually die off and my plants are looking GREAT now and I didnt change a thing..Moose is prob right..give it time..

yep but I'm not one to take advice from because I dont know enough about what I'm doing..but I do know that I used CFLS and had the same spotting and the older leaves died off curled turned brown and bounced haha..but good luck to ya..peace

Things have progressively gotten worse. I'm just at two weeks now buts that from planting, not sprouting. After my disaster on Sunday I flushed and haven't watered since. The soil dried up nicely today and I'm gonna give them a little water. After Sunday the affected leaves got worse and I began to notice some yellowing on the edges of leaves on the top. After 2 day of this, I panicked and dropped the floor of my veg chamber another 4 inches. Surprisingly I think this helped, at least on the upper leaves. They seem to have even regained some green overnight. I guess they were getting burned by the CFL's?

Unfortunately the lower leaves are still dying. The yellowing is spreading and turning brown in the most affected areas. It is still only the bottom two leaves on each plant, the first two fan leaves to sprout. I'm still hoping you right Prof.

These didn't upload with thumbnails for some reason

This is the day younger plant which is less affected. These pictures suck but right where the edge of the pot is on the right, thats a crack or split in the leaf.
3122.jpg

The yellowing on the edges at the top has stopped and recessed.
2121.jpg

Again yellowing on edges has recessed.
1125.jpg

Ok, I looked at your latest images. You sre seeing fert burn, but the newest growth is healthy, and that is your indicator. Leaves that were damaged earlier are just growing out. Damaged leaves do not repair, they die off - that is normal.
Do not add extra ferts at the moment. Let the new growth show though and I feel you will be all good IMO.

sweet moose, sweet :allgood: i was hoping for just that.

What about the yellowing at the edges, i can't imagine it being from the CFL's?

haha good looks. I definitely gotta get myself an organic medium. This stuff was pretty mild but was enriched with only phosphorus, but that may have done it.

If the worst is to happen, I'm at least certain I've discovered the problem and will have a successful second grow.

Things have been going very well and i have 5 new seedlings that I'm gonna start a journal with tomorrow. These two that I have now I would like to try flowering in a week or two to see if I get a female and eventually some better bud than I can find. The two affected leaves on either plant began to take over so i snipped them and things look very good. I've been watering sparingly and doing nothing else in an attempt to stabilize them. Its been almost a week since the burn stopped and I'm getting wonderful new growth but the leaves I have are a lighter green vs the new growth and I kinda feel like the new growth lightens up a little over time. I'm gonna get some good nutes tomorrow, hopefully tiger bloom and would use a little to try and green things up but I'm still scared too. Any suggestions?

Use only a half strengh mix at most. Moisten the soil with water before watering with nute mixed water (Helps prevent root burn)
Always check the backside of the plant leaves for pests. Good luck. I shall watch you grow and then you get to find out that nothing beats homegrown.

Back
Top Bottom