Yellow Leaves and Brown Spots

Dagardner

my top leaves are turning yellow, and there are some brown spots on bottom leaves, water is 5 days old used a mixture of distilled and tap water , I'm only using 40-60 percent of General Hydroponics Flora Series, can any one tell me what could this be and how to fix it?
my PH TO 5.7
my water Tap water PPM is 285 and off Distilled water PPM was 5, i went half/half
Temp between 76-80
Humidity 48-58
Lights CFL (2) 125W 6500k 12 inches high, (1) 200W 2500K 16 inches high
plants_22.jpg
plants_42.jpg
plants_52.jpg

Re: Yellow Leafs, and Brown spots

Hey man, am I reading this right, that your tap water is at 285? You're cutting it with distilled water at half which is still like... 160+. That's still a lot of stuff in the water. It looks like some sort of nute burn to me. 40-60% nutrient strength could be a little high for the young things. I would use distilled water only for a bit and cut thwarting nutrients out for the next couple waterings. Also, when you do water, run a lot of water through the pots room get some of the nutrients washed out. Its got to be a nute burn. What kind of medium do you have them in?

Take care in how much N you feed.. And also, IMO the best thing to grow in unless youre running hydro is a good organic soil. I always use a soil mix and the problems, if any, are easy to diagnose and the plants remain fairly hardy as the soil feeds them and allows roots to grow free.
At that young, I barely feed anything other than water.. MAYBE A LITTLE DILUTED SEAWEED EXTRACT? But all in all that is why a good pot mix is easy as you only should need water until they reach about 1ft, then you can start feeding with minimal stress if not over feed.
Goodluck, Check any of my journals in my Sig. below, it may have some stuff you can find useful?? Later mate, Smokemup

Take care in how much N you feed.. And also, IMO the best thing to grow in unless youre running hydro is a good organic soil. I always use a soil mix and the problems, if any, are easy to diagnose and the plants remain fairly hardy as the soil feeds them and allows roots to grow free.
At that young, I barely feed anything other than water.. MAYBE A LITTLE DILUTED SEAWEED EXTRACT? But all in all that is why a good pot mix is easy as you only should need water until they reach about 1ft, then you can start feeding with minimal stress if not over feed.
Goodluck, Check any of my journals in my Sig. below, it may have some stuff you can find useful?? Later mate, Smokemup

Thanks guys for answering, last night I started going down a long list of what I might have done wrong and what I change and the last past 2-3 days, well the only things I've changed was the nute the water PH from 6.0 to 5.7, I also had a 90 watt UFO that I change to a 200 watt CFL. And about 2-3 days ago I was misting the plants 2-3 times a day with the lights on I really believe that's what my problem is the top of the leaves are dry but the bottoms are nice a green, I have 5 plants in there only 2 of them are like that, I also check the ph of the water in the spray bottle it was 8.3 I'm gonna monitor for a couple of days and see what happens.

Theres nothing wrong with your plants but there is a couple questions for you though. Whats the water temps? Looks like your running a water farm of some sort and does it have air stones with air pump and if so what size as in how many L of air does it put out?

New growing shoots will start off yellow but while growing will turn there usual green color. Elious pointed out some nute burn on the lower leaves. Looks like the problem has been fixed since then. So no worries.

Also flora series is organic right? If so you need to add more micro then anything else when mixing your nutrient solution. Organics take time to actually be available to plants. Does flora series micro have more nitrogen in it then grow?

Theres nothing wrong with your plants but there is a couple questions for you though. Whats the water temps? Looks like your running a water farm of some sort and does it have air stones with air pump and if so what size as in how many L of air does it put out?

New growing shoots will start off yellow but while growing will turn there usual green color. Elious pointed out some nute burn on the lower leaves. Looks like the problem has been fixed since then. So no worries.

Also flora series is organic right? If so you need to add more micro then anything else when mixing your nutrient solution. Organics take time to actually be available to plants. Does flora series micro have more nitrogen in it then grow?

My water temp 68-72
I'm running the rainforest 66 from General Hydroponics
I have 1 Hydrofarm AAPA 3.2L 2-Watt with 1 medium cylinder air stone. Just ordered Hydrofarm AAPA 45L 20-Watt with (2) 10-Inch by 2-Inch

I don't think I ever had nutes problem because I was only follow the chart giving them 40-60% of the recommended dose

Feedcharts

Does flora series micro have more nitrogen in it then grow? I'm not sure I see what you mean

Ok get your water temps down to 50-55 by using 2 frozen water bottles and sit them in the res. Or you can cover the res with a white T shirt to keep the water cooler by reflecting all light. Thats what I use is the T shirt method. Works like a charm.

Great that you got a bigger air pump it was needed. The o2 in the solution which it needs to be 12PPM which you will get once you drop the temps in the water and use the new airpump. Floragrow only has 2% ratio of nitrogen. The floramicro has 5% nitrogen. Use more micro if ran into any lack of nitrogen problems. But as I said before your plants look great just fix those couple things and they'll thrive like no other :thumb:

plant148.JPG
plant252.JPG
plant328.JPG
Ok get your water temps down to 50-55 by using 2 frozen water bottles and sit them in the res. Or you can cover the res with a white T shirt to keep the water cooler by reflecting all light. Thats what I use is the T shirt method. Works like a charm.

Great that you got a bigger air pump it was needed. The o2 in the solution which it needs to be 12PPM which you will get once you drop the temps in the water and use the new airpump. Floragrow only has 2% ratio of nitrogen. The floramicro has 5% nitrogen. Use more micro if ran into any lack of nitrogen problems. But as I said before your plants look great just fix those couple things and they'll thrive like no other :thumb:

Thanks WizHigh, those leave got much worse but like I said before it was the only those 2 I just checked on them and those leaves look worse but the new growth looks really good

Are they the older leaves are newer? I'd say its either salt build up or calcium build up. Pics would help. Those coco pads you have around the base of your plants could be causing the issue if its calcium. Coco tends to snatch calcium from the roots if there touching at all.

thats exactly what i was thinking "salt build up or calcium build up" I have an empty spot where the is a coco liners in that spot ill post some pictures, and Im also due for a water change Im gonna wash out the tank

Are they the older leaves are newer? I'd say its either salt build up or calcium build up. Pics would help. Those coco pads you have around the base of your plants could be causing the issue if its calcium. Coco tends to snatch calcium from the roots if there touching at all.

image1802.jpg

There looking pretty fine to me. If your refering to the older leaves then yes they will die off but dont worry new growth is what you look at. Slow down on the micro or grow a little bit. There getting really green. When you do a res change maybe go half strength on micro since that has the most nitrogen in it. And add slowly threw the week/weeks. Looking good though

There looking pretty fine to me. If your refering to the older leaves then yes they will die off but dont worry new growth is what you look at. Slow down on the micro or grow a little bit. There getting really green. When you do a res change maybe go half strength on micro since that has the most nitrogen in it. And add slowly threw the week/weeks. Looking good though

Ok just installed the air pump added some more air stones, bought a 400W lumitek ballast & 400W hortilux blue bulb, I'm not sure if you guys know that WALMART carry "primo water" I called up the company and the sent me this PDF on the bottom of the page, it's actually pretty amazing water if you don't have an RO unit yet the TDS is 10PPM and its actually better than distiller water it $6.49. I added some calimagic and the flora series at 50%, I never had to adjust my PH its 5.7 and TDS is at 300PPM

Yea my local homedepot sells the stuff. I used it a couple times but thats before I found out my tap water is A ok with growing. I use it in my hydro system. But as I do add the store bought water threw time when the water levels get low.

WizHigh I'd like to say thanks so all the support you been on it helping me every step of the way, I know I can't say I'm done yet until I see improvement, but I just wanted to say thanks

Back
Top Bottom