Yellow leaves with brown spots

Tecumseh

I've read the sticky in this forum so I think that I have some idea what is wrong here. I just need a little confirmation of what I believe and maybe a tip or two.
What we have here is a 3 week old plant that was germinated in a peat pellet. The pellet was placed in soil 2 days after plant sprouted. The soil is Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix. What I think is happening here is, the ph of the peat pellet is causing a problem and perhaps the roots are having trouble getting through the mesh bag of the pellet. If the roots are trapped in the pellet, they can't get to the nutrients in the soil. I assume that eventually, the roots will break free and enter the soil.
I have fertilized with 1/2 strength Miracle Grow all purpose conservatively one time, just to try to insure that some of the nutes got to the plant's roots. A day after fertilizing these brown spots appeared.
Okay. Am I correct in my diagnosis? Is there anything else I can do?

I think that the peat pellet is my main problem here. I'm not gonna use them anymore.

Be real careful, dig it up and check it out? And if it is, cut the mesh., if all the root are in the mesh what are you going to hurt?
There is already added nutes in the soil, then you added more. Put your nutes away.
Do you water it every day? Yes, then STOP!!!
There are a couple techniques for flushing, so you should read a few.
I'm not an expert so......smoke a joint and go through the FAQ"s.lol
You will not regret it.
cheers.

I've read the sticky in this forum so I think that I have some idea what is wrong here. I just need a little confirmation of what I believe and maybe a tip or two.
What we have here is a 3 week old plant that was germinated in a peat pellet. The pellet was placed in soil 2 days after plant sprouted. The soil is Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix. What I think is happening here is, the ph of the peat pellet is causing a problem and perhaps the roots are having trouble getting through the mesh bag of the pellet. If the roots are trapped in the pellet, they can't get to the nutrients in the soil. I assume that eventually, the roots will break free and enter the soil.
I have fertilized with 1/2 strength Miracle Grow all purpose conservatively one time, just to try to insure that some of the nutes got to the plant's roots. A day after fertilizing these brown spots appeared.
Okay. Am I correct in my diagnosis? Is there anything else I can do?

I think that the peat pellet is my main problem here. I'm not gonna use them anymore.

Never remove the mesh from the jiffy pellets as it will rip the roots that will easily grow through it (thats why its mesh). I would be looking for bugs on that plant as it seems bitten. If new leafes grow with a distorsion or growth stunts with short nodes then i would suspect spider mites. I always use peat jiffy pellets and they are spot on 6.5 PH and always work great for me.

CHRIS.
:Namaste:

A nicely rooted seedling in a jiffy with net ON.

IMGP5907roots.jpg

CHRIS.
;)

Thats funny Chris, I've never had good results with them, my taproots have always swirled. Maybe...25-30 plants, even the peat pots are no good (for me) where I live. The only time they're not in open soil is cuttings in wool.
There's an awesome example for you, anishnaabe.
No one thing works for everyone.lol

Thats funny Chris, I've never had good results with them, my taproots have always swirled. Maybe...25-30 plants, even the peat pots are no good (for me) where I live. The only time they're not in open soil is cuttings in wool.
There's an awesome example for you, anishnaabe.
No one thing works for everyone.lol

It works for everyone buddy. Practice makes perfect. I pre prep my jiffys by soaking them and then shaping and squeezing them and then i weigh them all to make sure they are all of the same density. I am just so used to planting lots of seeds and i think i am in the 100's without defeat. (touch wood). I have pics on how i do my jiffys if you want.

CHRIS.

:high-five:

Yes please.

OK.

IMG_0006-2.jpg

The jiffy from the packet.

IMG_0011-1.jpg

The jiffy after soaking in water and being squeezed in to shape.

IMG_0019-1.jpg

The jiffy shaped to my needs and squeezed in to the weight i need for moisture.

IMG_0023-1.jpg

The jiffy weighed out for perfect moisure. Not to wet and not to dry.

IMG_0014-2.jpg

The jiffy with a hole no more than 7mm deep. I plant seeds at 1/4" or 6mm then cover the top with some loose peat just to cover the seed and then in to the propogator at 75* with high humidity.

CHRIS.
:Namaste:

The weighing is very, very smart.
Thank you very much Chris.
It never occured to me!!lololol

Its all about doing the same thing over an over again to get perfect results.
Hope you give it a shot and plant the seeds the right way up and you will be sprouting seeds straight from the packet in 3-4 days max. I usually sprout seeds in 3 days this way and (touch wood) i have never failed yet. The longest i have waited on a seed to sprout is 5 days but it still came up strong.

CHRIS.
:)

Looks to me like its getting some bad nute burn, as well as overwatering. Jiffy pellets work great, when used correctly ast stated above. The real problem here from my perspective, is Nute burn/lockout defficiency. You stated you gave it 1/2 strength nutes, was this the first time, or have you gave them nutes before also? the miracle gro soil has nutes already in it, and by giving it 1/2 strength on top of the transplant it looks like bad nitrogen burn, and heading into lockout.
To fix, Start with a good flush of PH balanced water, I reccomend tap water thats sat out to de-chlorinate overnight if you can. flush with about 2gal of water, and check runoff of tds of each gal. after flushing put back into normal lighting schedule,(whatever it is on now) and keep an eye on her, she should start to perk up in atleast 48hrs, then, ONLY WHEN NEEDED, water her with ph balanced water, then give her nutes at next wter feeding interval. I use the common cycle of feed, water, water. I wait til I just start to see turn down before feeding or watering, its about every 3 days I end up going between waterings. I hope this helps, and keep growing, I also would try to get some better nutes, and soil without nutes thats been pasteurized.
G/L & keep it up, it will all work out in the end if you dont give up...
DAT

Thanks for all of the help. Your tips for the pellets are very helpful Chris. I wish that I'd known this earlier. If you haven't guessed, this is my first serious attempt to grow.

I did think about digging it up and cutting off the mesh yesterday. I very gently started removing dirt from around the plant with my finger and discovered that roots were, in fact growing out of the bag, so I stopped.

I really don't water this plant everyday. In fact I've only watered it 4 times in the 3 weeks it's been growing. I did water it yesterday with a mix of 2 parts h2o to 1 part h2o2. I hoped to get some oxygen to the roots. We'll see what happens.

Hopefully I can keep this plant going. It's a Blue City Diesel that I got from B.C. I only have 1 other plant growing at this time, also a BCD. I'm not having very good luck so far. At the beginning of April I attempted to germinate 6 seeds (3 Blue City Diesel + 3 Blue Sage). All were germinated in peat pellets. Only the 2 BCD actually succeeded. The rest failed miserably.
I then tried to germinate my last 2 Blue Sage seeds. I germinated them in a glass of h2o. Once the roots split through the seed shell I placed them in soil. They never came up. After 10 days I gave up on them. Sadly, I've also killed 2 White Widow seeds. I obviously don't have a green thumb. I'm going to keep trying though. I won't be wasting anymore White Widows until I get a better handle on what I'm doing. I have some freebie seeds that are unknown strains. I'll just use those until I get it right.

Anyway, thanx again for the help and the tips. And for not calling me a Dumb Ass, even tho it may be true.

Its all about doing the same thing over an over again to get perfect results.
Hope you give it a shot and plant the seeds the right way up and you will be sprouting seeds straight from the packet in 3-4 days max. I usually sprout seeds in 3 days this way and (touch wood) i have never failed yet. The longest i have waited on a seed to sprout is 5 days but it still came up strong.

CHRIS.
:)

Pointy end up ?:thumb:

Thanks for all of the help. Your tips for the pellets are very helpful Chris. I wish that I'd known this earlier. If you haven't guessed, this is my first serious attempt to grow.

I did think about digging it up and cutting off the mesh yesterday. I very gently started removing dirt from around the plant with my finger and discovered that roots were, in fact growing out of the bag, so I stopped.

I really don't water this plant everyday. In fact I've only watered it 4 times in the 3 weeks it's been growing. I did water it yesterday with a mix of 2 parts h2o to 1 part h2o2. I hoped to get some oxygen to the roots. We'll see what happens.

Hopefully I can keep this plant going. It's a Blue City Diesel that I got from B.C. I only have 1 other plant growing at this time, also a BCD. I'm not having very good luck so far. At the beginning of April I attempted to germinate 6 seeds (3 Blue City Diesel + 3 Blue Sage). All were germinated in peat pellets. Only the 2 BCD actually succeeded. The rest failed miserably.
I then tried to germinate my last 2 Blue Sage seeds. I germinated them in a glass of h2o. Once the roots split through the seed shell I placed them in soil. They never came up. After 10 days I gave up on them. Sadly, I've also killed 2 White Widow seeds. I obviously don't have a green thumb. I'm going to keep trying though. I won't be wasting anymore White Widows until I get a better handle on what I'm doing. I have some freebie seeds that are unknown strains. I'll just use those until I get it right.

Anyway, thanx again for the help and the tips. And for not calling me a Dumb Ass, even tho it may be true.

Thank you very much.

CHRIS.
:goodluck:

Back
Top Bottom