Yellow leaves

Nice looking plant and it does seem to be healthy even though some of the lower leaves have started to turn yellow.

I do not grow with a hydroponic method nor in coco coir or in Coco Loco but have read up on it several times. In the past I have used the Fox Farm line of fertilizer mixes and still follow the info from the company and have called them on questions about their products.

The quoted part from you first msg is an important clue as to what might be going on.

Need a bit more info. I understand why many Fox Farm growers will switch over from Grow Big to Tiger Bloom and why some of them recommend doing it. That switch can be contributing to the yellow leaves showing up at this time.

You mention "30ml/gal of liquid plant food" and I take it that this is part of the current feeding schedule along with the Cal-Mag and Tiger Bloom. What is the name of this liquid plant food? What are the N-P-K numbers?
Liquid Plant Food is the name of the Foxfarm nute. It has worm castings and bat poo but not a lot of npk just 0-0.5-0.7

The grow big has 6-4-4 which I assume gives for N for the first part of the grow.

Then switched to the Tiger Bloom for flower which has 2-8-4

I’ve been using the general feeding amounts on the back of the bottles and that’s where I got the numbers previously posted.

There were a few days where the yellowing stopped and the yellow leafs died off. They started on new leafs and continue to take over more leafs. So problem is still not solved.

Pic of nutes
Pic of yesterday vs 7 days ago

F562889C-39F1-4C55-ACF3-C81BBBEB5B52.png

C2885104-0179-45E5-AACA-682A398256A1.jpeg

4F84FD39-2A25-4A97-9D2E-AD414971AB49.jpeg

Liquid Plant Food is the name of the Foxfarm nute. It has worm castings and bat poo but not a lot of npk just 0-0.5-0.7
Aahh, got it. The name is Big Bloom and it is a Liquid Plant Food. Just like the name of the 3rd bottle is Tiger Bloom and it is for Buds and Blooms.

When you switched over to the Tiger Bloom and stopped using the Grow Big you cut off the source of Nitrogen the plant still needs all the way through to the end. The Nitrogen is necessary for photosynthesis and is needed in every green part on the plant including all the sugar leaves and calyxes and even the thin stems.

Since the Nitrogen is what is called a 'mobile' nutrient the plant will slowly pull available Nitrogen from the lower leaves and translocate it to the newly forming flowers and sugar leaves. In many cases a healthy and fast growing plant like yours has a surprising larger amount of green that is in all the remaining fan leaves and the new flowers, calyxes and sugar leaves than it had several weeks ago when the plant was just fan leaves and stems.

A suggestion is to use all three of the Fox Farms Trio. That will help to bring back some of the Nitrogen that is not currently available. I don't know if you have the soil feeding schedule from Fox Farms. If not, it is available on their web site. Around here many of the grow shops have a stack of the schedule booklet for customers for those that want a hard copy. Or, a call to Fox Farms and they will send out a hard copy schedule booklet in that day's mail.

When using all three of the bottles together the amounts on the schedule are different than what is on the bottles. All three together become a complete nutrient package as developed by the company over the past 30 plus years. The amounts on the back of the bottles are intended for growers who are only going to use one of the bottles and not two or three. When using all three bottles and using the larger amounts as shown on the back of the bottles it creates a potential overdose situation. I had come across some of this on one of Fox Farm's FAQ web pages and called them about it. Real interesting conversation about using their products for either Cannabis or for flowers and vegetables.

Sometimes going back to using the Grow Big will stop the yellowing. If not, it often slows down how fast and how many of the larger fan leaves turn yellow. I still have not figured out how to tell which it is going to be but even if it just slows it down it sounds like a winning situation.

Good luck, have fun. And, it is a nice looking plant.

Aahh, got it. The name is Big Bloom and it is a Liquid Plant Food. Just like the name of the 3rd bottle is Tiger Bloom and it is for Buds and Blooms.

When you switched over to the Tiger Bloom and stopped using the Grow Big you cut off the source of Nitrogen the plant still needs all the way through to the end. The Nitrogen is necessary for photosynthesis and is needed in every green part on the plant including all the sugar leaves and calyxes and even the thin stems.

Since the Nitrogen is what is called a 'mobile' nutrient the plant will slowly pull available Nitrogen from the lower leaves and translocate it to the newly forming flowers and sugar leaves. In many cases a healthy and fast growing plant like yours has a surprising larger amount of green that is in all the remaining fan leaves and the new flowers, calyxes and sugar leaves than it had several weeks ago when the plant was just fan leaves and stems.

A suggestion is to use all three of the Fox Farms Trio. That will help to bring back some of the Nitrogen that is not currently available. I don't know if you have the soil feeding schedule from Fox Farms. If not, it is available on their web site. Around here many of the grow shops have a stack of the schedule booklet for customers for those that want a hard copy. Or, a call to Fox Farms and they will send out a hard copy schedule booklet in that day's mail.

When using all three of the bottles together the amounts on the schedule are different than what is on the bottles. All three together become a complete nutrient package as developed by the company over the past 30 plus years. The amounts on the back of the bottles are intended for growers who are only going to use one of the bottles and not two or three. When using all three bottles and using the larger amounts as shown on the back of the bottles it creates a potential overdose situation. I had come across some of this on one of Fox Farm's FAQ web pages and called them about it. Real interesting conversation about using their products for either Cannabis or for flowers and vegetables.

Sometimes going back to using the Grow Big will stop the yellowing. If not, it often slows down how fast and how many of the larger fan leaves turn yellow. I still have not figured out how to tell which it is going to be but even if it just slows it down it sounds like a winning situation.

Good luck, have fun. And, it is a nice looking plant.
Ah yes it does say Big Bloom and I didnt realize that. That makes sense that it would need all three but I just didnt look at it like that. I will look up their schedule and see what I need to change up to use all 3.

Seems to be growing good but with this advise I should be able to get it going even better. I thank you!

I adjusted my feeding according to the Foxfarm chart. There was most definitely over feeding going on.

New amounts vs (old)
Big bloom 20ml (vs 30ml)
Grow Big 10ml (vs 0ml)
Tiger 5ml (vs 15ml)
Cal/Mag 5ml (same)

EC number in mix vs run off
Cond 2.3 vs 4.9
TDS 1.6 vs 3.5
Sal 1.1 vs 2.4
Not sure which reading is used so measured them all

Should I flush this Coco Loco out or just keep on with the new schedule?
Please shoot some advise on flushing if it’s needed.

I adjusted my feeding according to the Foxfarm chart. There was most definitely over feeding going on.
The amounts on the bottle are for those who are using just that one bottle. Using two or all three bottles is when the dosage listed in the schedule comes in.

Should I flush this Coco Loco out or just keep on with the new schedule?
The Big Bloom is basically a mix of micro-organisms with some natural and/or organic nutrients. That is not a problem. The other two, the Grow Big and Tiger Bloom are fertilizer mixes which do contribute to a build-up of salts in the grow media.

If I am remembering right your plants were about 55 or 56 days old the beginning of last week so now about 63 plus days since the time they sprouted. Check the schedule but I think it shows a second flush around week 9 or 10. If you did not do one earlier than now is as good a time as any. I doubt that any additive to the flush water, like the Sledgehammer is needed. Use clean water without any nutrients in it.

The flush will wash out any salt build up and resets the Coco Loco back close to the start. Wait two days and then go back to the schedule.

Those darker gray spots on some of the yellow leaves are bugging me a bit so maybe the last part of the flush use water with Cal-Mag in it.

The amounts on the bottle are for those who are using just that one bottle. Using two or all three bottles is when the dosage listed in the schedule comes in.

The Big Bloom is basically a mix of micro-organisms with some natural and/or organic nutrients. That is not a problem. The other two, the Grow Big and Tiger Bloom are fertilizer mixes which do contribute to a build-up of salts in the grow media.

If I am remembering right your plants were about 55 or 56 days old the beginning of last week so now about 63 plus days since the time they sprouted. Check the schedule but I think it shows a second flush around week 9 or 10. If you did not do one earlier than now is as good a time as any. I doubt that any additive to the flush water, like the Sledgehammer is needed. Use clean water without any nutrients in it.

The flush will wash out any salt build up and resets the Coco Loco back close to the start. Wait two days and then go back to the schedule.

Those darker gray spots on some of the yellow leaves are bugging me a bit so maybe the last part of the flush use water with Cal-Mag in it.
Thank you for the information. I went ahead and flushed the plant yesterday so hopefully that helps it out. Once I feed it again I will test the runoff and see where it stands now.

What form of measurement should I be using? The FF chart says the EC numbers but do I look at Con, TDS, or Sal?

Wanted to mention that you can call Fox Farms with questions. They have been good about explaining what to do with their products and can give some worthwhile tips.

Don't worry about it if you are thinking it might not be a good idea to call them because of what you are growing....they already know.
Thanks for posting that about Fox Farms customer service. It’s cool to know you can get some answers if and/or when you need them. I’m actually going to switch back to FFOF because of it. Maybe even get in on that CocoLoco stuff with a plant just because the name sounds fekken kool.

NTH

Thanks for posting that about Fox Farms customer service. It’s cool to know you can get some answers if and/or when you need them. I’m actually going to switch back to FFOF because of it. Maybe even get in on that CocoLoco stuff with a plant just because the name sounds fekken kool.

NTH
Yep. I have been happy with customer service each time I have called them.

What has interested me about the Coco Loco is that it is 50-60% coco coir and the rest is 40-50% 'aged forest products' (probably nothing more than composted wood chips, sawdust, chunks and sticks) with a bit of Perlite mixed in. What has really interested me is that it does not have to be watered every day and every 2 to 3 days is often enough to maintain a healthy plant.

I have been thinking about making some sort of coco&compost mix along the same lines as the Loco just to see what happens.

Last night I fed the plants and was able to test the EC in and out. I’ll post a picture of what I wrote down.

All of the leafs are starting to get yellow tips now. Looking back on pictures it first shows up on Monday 3rd before feeding. That was the day I switched the feeding up so maybe the old over feeding schedule was what hurt them? I thought the yellow tip symptom was too much light but I don’t think my light is big enough for that. So I guess I need to look into other causes.

5A039541-BA92-45D7-968E-3482786B19D6.jpeg

BB780EA7-227C-4390-8415-D0B58C001115.jpeg

BA4AEAA4-FEA7-4ED7-AE3F-4B9DC2435E99.jpeg

6C8ACBB3-51F4-492D-BB17-C5E4E4F23F8B.jpeg

Thank you for the information. I went ahead and flushed the plant yesterday so hopefully that helps it out. Once I feed it again I will test the runoff and see where it stands now.

What form of measurement should I be using? The FF chart says the EC numbers but do I look at Con, TDS, or Sal?
Wanted to mention that you can call Fox Farms with questions. They have been good about explaining what to do with their products and can give some worthwhile tips.

Don't worry about it if you are thinking it might not be a good idea to call them because of what you are growing....they already know.
Thank you. It is great to have that option.

If you can understand my writing you’ll see that my EC is still really high after that flush and the first feeding two days later. Really high!

I would keep on trucking. :passitleft:

But I wanna tag brother bill @Bill284
Don't know how I missed that tag so sorry.:Namaste:
Thank you. It is great to have that option.

If you can understand my writing you’ll see that my EC is still really high after that flush and the first feeding two days later. Really high!

Good morning @Slick0ne :ciao:
Hope your having a nice weekend.
Sorry about missing the tag earlier.
You are feeding daily?
Never letting your coco dry out?
Never giving plain water?
Sorry if you answered these already.
How is she looking this morning?

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

Don't know how I missed that tag so sorry.:Namaste:

Good morning @Slick0ne :ciao:
Hope your having a nice weekend.
Sorry about missing the tag earlier.
You are feeding daily?
Never letting your coco dry out?
Never giving plain water?
Sorry if you answered these already.
How is she looking this morning?

Stay safe
Never giving plain water.
I feed them every 48 hours or less.
I don’t let the coco dry out I just let the pot lighten up and the top inch or so is dry. I just scratch around on the top and see if it’s ready for feed or not.
I have not made it home to look at the plant today but I wouldn’t expect too much of a change.

Never giving plain water.
I feed them every 48 hours or less.
I don’t let the coco dry out I just let the pot lighten up and the top inch or so is dry. I just scratch around on the top and see if it’s ready for feed or not.
I have not made it home to look at the plant today but I wouldn’t expect too much of a change.
You have to feed coco every day.
If you let it it becomes hydrophobic.
It repels water.
It must be kept wet.
Full strength nutrients according to the schedule at 5.8 ph every day until run off.
Every day, twice a day is common in flower.
Take care. :passitleft:

Stay safe

Ah yes it does say Big Bloom and I didnt realize that. That makes sense that it would need all three but I just didnt look at it like that. I will look up their schedule and see what I need to change up to use all 3.

Seems to be growing good but with this advise I should be able to get it going even better. I thank you!
yes, you have to use all 3 & follow the FF schedule as close as you can. By any chance do you have a fan blowing near the bottoms of your plants ? The darkish colored spots that sort of look like mold can be caused by a fan blowing on the leaves too hard. Happens to me all the time. I just cut them off. The yellowing is "N" deficiency like Wings pointed out.
The rusty spots are Mag def. which can be cured with an Epsom Salt feeding or Foliar Spray. 1 tspn. per gal. is what I've used in the past when I was already using Cal-Mag.

You have to feed coco every day.
If you let it it becomes hydrophobic.
It repels water.
It must be kept wet.
Full strength nutrients according to the schedule at 5.8 ph every day until run off.
Every day, twice a day is common in flower.
True for the usual pure coco coir grow media. @SlickOne is using Fox Farms Coco Loco, one of the companies grow media that is part of the Bush Doctor line. It took me awhile to get used to the differences between the usual coco coir mixes which often had no compost soil and the Coco Loco product which is more a soil grow than a hydro.

If I am remembering from the back of a bag of Coco Loco at a local shop the contents are 50 to 60% coco coir. The remaining 40 to 50% is Aged Forest Products which is the compost or humus component with added nutrients and a small amount of Perlite. The compost will absorb and hold water so once a day will probably cause water-logged soil. I doubt that the Perlite is much more than 1 or 2% but would need to look at an opened bag to get an idea. I did a google search and one web site says the Perlite is 5% according to their phone call to Fox Farm.

Fox Farms does mention a 2 to 3 day watering schedule on the bag and web site; depending on weather and environment. And the recommended pH of water and solutions is closer to that of regular soils--6.3 to 6.8 is mentioned though I seem to remember some sites saying they got good results when using a pH between 5.8 and 6.8.

The more often I see grows using Coco Loco and see the plants the more I feel that this sort of mix is the best of several possible worlds. Not a true hydro since the coco coir is only half of the mix with the rest being a soil mix. Watering every 2 to 3 days is not all that bad and is pretty much what soil growers have going. One of the things that kept me away from hydro and using a coco coir grow media was the watering once a day and the need to closely monitor the pH of water and solutions going in.

I keep picking at the good and bad points of this Coco Loco and the more I read and pick at the various points the more I think that I will give it a try. Probably mix up my own since so much info is available on the ingredients and quantity ratios.

True for the usual pure coco coir grow media. @SlickOne is using Fox Farms Coco Loco, one of the companies grow media that is part of the Bush Doctor line. It took me awhile to get used to the differences between the usual coco coir mixes which often had no compost soil and the Coco Loco product which is more a soil grow than a hydro.

If I am remembering from the back of a bag of Coco Loco at a local shop the contents are 50 to 60% coco coir. The remaining 40 to 50% is Aged Forest Products which is the compost or humus component with added nutrients and a small amount of Perlite. The compost will absorb and hold water so once a day will probably cause water-logged soil. I doubt that the Perlite is much more than 1 or 2% but would need to look at an opened bag to get an idea. I did a google search and one web site says the Perlite is 5% according to their phone call to Fox Farm.

Fox Farms does mention a 2 to 3 day watering schedule on the bag and web site; depending on weather and environment. And the recommended pH of water and solutions is closer to that of regular soils--6.3 to 6.8 is mentioned though I seem to remember some sites saying they got good results when using a pH between 5.8 and 6.8.

The more often I see grows using Coco Loco and see the plants the more I feel that this sort of mix is the best of several possible worlds. Not a true hydro since the coco coir is only half of the mix with the rest being a soil mix. Watering every 2 to 3 days is not all that bad and is pretty much what soil growers have going. One of the things that kept me away from hydro and using a coco coir grow media was the watering once a day and the need to closely monitor the pH of water and solutions going in.

I keep picking at the good and bad points of this Coco Loco and the more I read and pick at the various points the more I think that I will give it a try. Probably mix up my own since so much info is available on the ingredients and quantity ratios.
Yes I agree it doesn’t dry out fast or get hydrophobic after 48 hours. Some days it dries out fast but I’m usually close to 48 hours

Oops missed that. :Namaste: thanks Smoke. :ciao:

Stay safe

Back
Top Bottom