Yellow spots and curling tips

Tll6

420 Member
Hey everyone,

I’ve got two plants growing, both autos and about 2 and a half weeks old. They are planted in soil in five gallon pots and have been doing pretty well so far. One is a northern lights auto and the other is an industrial cbd auto. Today I noticed the northern lights has a few yellow spots/stripes on a few of the newer leaves. The industrial cbd doesn’t have these yellow spots/stripes but has drooping leaf tips. As they are still small I have been spraying them two times a day and only watered them very lightly once or twice. The industrial cbd had some drooping tips last week and after watering it seemed to fix them but after watering it today I haven’t seen any improvement.
Here are some pics:
27CDF16D-0AB9-4FBF-8C9D-C9DFC8E4A2F7.jpeg
139DB6D6-26D0-4885-8BCF-FEBED8D7FA00.jpeg

Soil: bottom 2/3rds Is Ocean Forest with lime for buffering and perlite for drainage. Top 1/3rd is miracle gro seed starting potting soil and perlite for drainage

Lighting: 2’x4 t5 ho lamp about 5-6 inches above the top leaves. Will turn on all 8 bulbs once the plants get larger

temperatures: peak at around 83-84 during the day and around 66-69 at night

Humidity: hovered around 50 percent. Installed a humidifier today and it is around 70 percent

nutrients: nothing added yet but will be using dynagro veg and bloom in a few weeks

thank you for any advice you can give!

I was told early on to skip the spray. Can introduce more problems than provide benefits. They look good to me, do you have a good idea of the PH of your soil and water?

I was wondering if the spray might be doing something to the leaves, but I’ve read that at this stage the plants don’t do much drinking from the roots yet so they rely on spraying for hydration. I’ll have to recheck what I’ve read to see if they note any problems with spraying.

Water ph is a little high, around 7.3-7.8. I’m not sure about the soil yet, I’ve got to soak some in water to get a reading

I tested my water a ways back with a pool tester, I use one of those cheapo soil wands for my soil PH. It's close enough for rock and roll! That is a bit high, and will cause issues down the road. I'd add a tablespoon of vinegar to every gallon of water you serve.

I think regardless of how much drinking they are doing through the roots, that's where they should be trained to take it. If they are only taking a little that way right now, give them a little and let them dry out sufficiently, give them a little more. Make sure it's when they want it though, not when you think they need it. It's also a bit more of a challenge to water small plants in big pots even though its a auto and that's a common practice. I'm gonna link this awesome piece by @Emilya , you might have seen it already, but it's mighty important! Watering and PH are probably the two biggest problem causers for soil growers.

I tested my water a ways back with a pool tester, I use one of those cheapo soil wands for my soil PH. It's close enough for rock and roll! That is a bit high, and will cause issues down the road. I'd add a tablespoon of vinegar to every gallon of water you serve.

I think regardless of how much drinking they are doing through the roots, that's where they should be trained to take it. If they are only taking a little that way right now, give them a little and let them dry out sufficiently, give them a little more. Make sure it's when they want it though, not when you think they need it. It's also a bit more of a challenge to water small plants in big pots even though its a auto and that's a common practice. I'm gonna link this awesome piece by @Emilya , you might have seen it already, but it's mighty important! Watering and PH are probably the two biggest problem causers for soil growers.

Thanks for the ph tip! I’ll use the vinegar trick to get down to the right levels.

I am having a bit of trouble telling when I need to water. I can’t really tell when the soil is dry enough especially since it’s a big pot. The soil temp hovers around 67 so I’m not really sure how much water is leaving through evaporation. I’ll definitely checkout the link, thanks for adding that!

Thanks for the ph tip! I’ll use the vinegar trick to get down to the right levels.

I am having a bit of trouble telling when I need to water. I can’t really tell when the soil is dry enough especially since it’s a big pot. The soil temp hovers around 67 so I’m not really sure how much water is leaving through evaporation. I’ll definitely checkout the link, thanks for adding that!

You can try lifting the pot after you water, and then lift every day as it gets lighter. You will get a feel for when it is dry enough to water again. The dry weight should get down to about half the watered weight.

Back
Top Bottom