Yellow Veins help

voltron

Hello 420. Quick question. When you have yellow veins in your vegging plant. Is that typically a Mg def? I have read the thread on problems with plant, but I didn't really see an example that fit although in the description area it somewhat appeared that my problem was consistent with a Magnesium deficiency. Any help would be much appreciated as always. :tokin:

Re: Yellow Veins help.

Huh. The only thing I could come up with was an iron deficiency.

Here are some things you can do:

--increase your root temperature
--check your root health
--expose the nutrient solution to light in order to deplete the iron

These things should get things back to normal and green within 3 to five days. Assuming I'm not wrong, of course. LOL

Huh. The only thing I could come up with was an iron deficiency.

Here are some things you can do:

--increase your root temperature
--check your root health
--expose the nutrient solution to light in order to deplete the iron

These things should get things back to normal and green within 3 to five days. Assuming I'm not wrong, of course. LOL

Thanks, I will check on these asap. I changed my res and added H2O2, and a couple of tbs of Epsom salt. My roots look ok from what I can tell. They are all mostly white and a couple have a slightly tan/brown color to them.

Sensi, this is kinda off the question, but I am about to post this on FAQ. Maybe you could help me get a jumpstart on this? Should my res ph level be changing within the first 8hrs of replacing it? And it changed drastically, from a high 5 ph to a level of 7. Does this mean I should change my water several times per day? Or still just top off with ph balance water until the next scheduled feeding? Thanks for any insight, as this is quite discouraging to a newbie.

You can get into a really bad cycle of PH swings in DWC or other hydro if you have root rot or other contaminants...

... the best solution is to clean out the tank, use new R/O water for a few hours, then slowly add back your nute solution. If you keep adding more and more PH down, you will get your total levels of alkalinity too high for the plants.

It's normal to see some drift through the range, but jumping up like that is almost invariably root rot or some other pathogen. H2O2 will also help - add a cup of 3% strength when you switch out the water.

You can get into a really bad cycle of PH swings in DWC or other hydro if you have root rot or other contaminants...

... the best solution is to clean out the tank, use new R/O water for a few hours, then slowly add back your nute solution. If you keep adding more and more PH down, you will get your total levels of alkalinity too high for the plants.

It's normal to see some drift through the range, but jumping up like that is almost invariably root rot or some other pathogen. H2O2 will also help - add a cup of 3% strength when you switch out the water.

Thx OBX, I've checked my roots and they are all white except for one group of them that is slightly brown. Should I cut the brown ones away from the rest? And when you say slowly add back nutes :morenutes:should I mix a small gallon container worth of nutes and top off the new res? I'm not even sure if I have been doing any of my feeding correctly.

I've mixed nutes in a seperate 5 gal bucket and just replaced the old bucket with new, and topped off with ph balanced water as needed. This would take place after the water would sit for 1day before adding nutes. Any suggestions on my method? BTW the res with the drastic changing ph that I know of is the plant that is nice and green/bushy and the veins are ok for now. Both root systems look similar. I will change the res tomorrow as I have to let the water sit for a day in both with your suggested methods to stay on this. Please let me know if I am on track with this. Thanks.

If the roots are slimy, cut them off, otherwise, let them be and treat with H2O2.

I've delivered nutes in DWC many ways... not all of them "right"... but basically you want to use a smaller container like you are doing.

How good is your tap water? Total PPM and PH out of the tap?

I think you are on track, most likely catching the problem before it shows up in your leaves - by that time, the damage is usually much worse and harder to correct.

Good luck with it... I liked growing in DWC, but the PH swings sure were a PITA when they get started.

Oh yeah... what's your res temp?

If the roots are slimy, cut them off, otherwise, let them be and treat with H2O2.

I've delivered nutes in DWC many ways... not all of them "right"... but basically you want to use a smaller container like you are doing.

How good is your tap water? Total PPM and PH out of the tap?

I think you are on track, most likely catching the problem before it shows up in your leaves - by that time, the damage is usually much worse and harder to correct.

Good luck with it... I liked growing in DWC, but the PH swings sure were a PITA when they get started.

Oh yeah... what's your res temp?

Cool. My tap ph is 8, I don't have a ppm tester. And I haven't checked my res temps due to me not having a proper thermometer for that. I do have a digital one that we use. Maybe I can sterilize that one and simply place the end in the water and get a proper reading? I'm not sure if I need a special one to check my res temps but I will look that up. Depending on cost I will have to wait on the ppm tester I have to stick to the grow budget to keep my lady happy also : ) But, I know I need one badly to maintain a healthy grow. Thanks for the advice. Oh yeah, when I mix my gallon of nutes for my topping off should I use 1/2 the strength of what I put in the 5 gallon res? I am aware that you still have to gauge that sort of thing with each grow, but would that be a good place to start? Thanks for the advice and I will be checking out your links as well! +Reps for the advice:thumb:

There are a lot of options for the res temp - just a cheap aquarium stick on thermometer is better than nothing - res temps are SUPER important for DWC - keep it under 70 at all costs!

There are a lot of DWC journals that are worth reading in the completed section - you might look at my blog if you are interested in mine. I was a complete newbie for the first one, so you might see all my mistakes there so you don't have to make them too...

I'd get a PPM meter - just the cheap Milwaukee is fine - that way you KNOW what you're res concentrations are... but for now, I would not worry too much about topping off nutes, but 1/2 strength should be fine if the plants are eating and not just drinking... you don't really know unless you know your PPM though.

There are a lot of options for the res temp - just a cheap aquarium stick on thermometer is better than nothing - res temps are SUPER important for DWC - keep it under 70 at all costs!

There are a lot of DWC journals that are worth reading in the completed section - you might look at my blog if you are interested in mine. I was a complete newbie for the first one, so you might see all my mistakes there so you don't have to make them too...

I'd get a PPM meter - just the cheap Milwaukee is fine - that way you KNOW what you're res concentrations are... but for now, I would not worry too much about topping off nutes, but 1/2 strength should be fine if the plants are eating and not just drinking... you don't really know unless you know your PPM though.

Thanks again for the update, looks like I need to run to the aquarium store for the thermometer. And Milwaukee will be ordered as well. Do you know if the stuff you can put in the water that takes out the chlorine is that safe for the plants? Therefore I wouldn't have to wait to use tap water. Other than that I will flush tomorrow with a cup of h2o2, is that per gallon or will the one be enough for the 4gal? And I should have the ppm tester here by next Friday at the latest and began my nute cycle. The one with the yellow veins now has a rust burn look appearing along the edges : -( Since this may be a deficiency will the healthy leaves and new growth be ok with just flushing throughout the week? Like you basically said kinda hard to fix or know the problem without knowing the ppm's. Thanks again man. And I am all over your journals. :thumb:

Great questions and answers you have definitely struck gold getting OBX's advice!
+Reps to you both

Thanks Wingman! It is so inspiring that those with the knowledge and experience have no problem sharing their hard work to ensure that yours may go smoother than theirs. It really helps me even though I do a ton of reading:nomo: on this site. The assistance provides confidence to us newbies, because with all our zeal we will shoot ourselves in the foot:oops: and need the OBX's in the 420 world to help us limp to recovery:adore:. I can't wait till I am in those shoes!!:thanks:

You both flatter me... there are many others who contribute more than I... just pass it along when you get the chance! Only took me a year to learn enough... ;)

Back
Top Bottom