honestfarms

420 Member
I have a few plants with yellowing/discolored leaves, and I'm trying to find the cause of this issue!
One plant is a variety known as "Holodeck Jesus" from Cannabeizein seeds. Here's the link to information on it: HOLODECK JESUS. The node structure for this plant has been off since it sprouted, and the leaves initially grew in a whorl, but have straightened out some since growing more. Some of the leaves are yellowing. Here are some pictures of what it looks like currently. I am LSTing it now too btw.
img_4647-jpeg.1697490

The others are Gelato #33, which I originally got as clones from someone else. It overall looks a little pale, but most of this strain seems to be genetically a medium shade of green. The bottom leaves are discolored. Some are yellow and some have a purplish/brown hue.
1547515489117.png

1547515545589.png

All plants are in 1:1 ratio of sphagnum peat moss, perlite, with dry amendments added. I make this mix with 2 tbsp neem & karanja meal mixture, 1 tbsp dolomitic lime, 1 tbsp gypsum, 1 tbsp kelp meal, 1 tbsp azomite, 1 tbsp alfalfa meal, and 4 tbsp worm castings per gallon of the 1:1 ratio peat/perlite. I use compost tea made with worm castings each time I water my plants.
Any white dusting on the plants is a result of the baking soda spray i use to prevent/ treat PM.
I'll also mention that the rest of the plants in the tent look really green and healthy. Here's a picture of some healthy-looking LA Kush Cake I have growing now too.
1547515651631.png

I'm coming to the end of veg, and I want to flower them in the next few days. Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    731.2 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    731.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    731.2 KB · Views: 85
that is an odd uncooked mix of raw materials in a soilless medium you have there, and now that the water soluble part of each of those amendments has been used up, there is very little nutrient left in what you are doing. The nitrogen in your compost tea has been getting you through, but that is not going to work in flower. You are going to need to feed this plant... it is not going to be able to get what it needs for flower from what you have given it. You might have had a chance if you had composted this mix for a month or so, but even then, this would be so hot of a mix it would probably fry plants to a crisp and not able to supply the potassium and phosphorus you are going to need in flower. Wish I had a better diagnosis for you... but wow. Maybe if you transplanted this into some good strong soil, the roots would have something below them to find, and you might be able to get through this.

@Emilya thanks for your input. I have cooked the soil, but definitely could have been cooked longer. Was eager to get a set of plants going, but I now have had soil cooking for 2 months set aside. What are your thoughts as to why the other plants have no signs of deficiencies?

@Emilya thanks for your input. I have cooked the soil, but definitely could have been cooked longer. Was eager to get a set of plants going, but I now have had soil cooking for 2 months set aside. What are your thoughts as to why the other plants have no signs of deficiencies?
Sorry... not trying to be insulting... but there is no soil in there. You have not mentioned humic acid that would break some of this down... there is no actual soil component in here and there are no large sources of calcium, potassium or phosphorus. You have a lot of nitrogen, but like I said, most of your nutrition so far has come from whatever is water soluble in there, whatever broke down in the short time you let it sit (im not going to call that cooking without the needed acids and minerals) and of course your compost tea with the very nutritious EWC. Some of your plants are not as needy as the others if they are not having the same trouble by this time... but I am confident that they eventually will suffer too. Where did you hear about this mix that you are using?

@Emilya I did forget to mention that all water we use for compost tea and any other watering does actually have humic acid added in. And if I’m correct, a soil is anything with organic matter, minerals, water, and air. I am using a soil mix that I came up with based on research I have done about organic soil amendments. I’m trying to diversify what goes into the soil as much as possible without using any animal products.

@Emilya also there is calcium in dolomitic lime, gypsum, and azomite. There is phosphorous in kelp, alfalfa, and worm castings. And there is potassium in alfalfa and kelp. Also planning on using a mono potassium phosphate spray during flower to help out.

@Emilya also there is calcium in dolomitic lime, gypsum, and azomite. There is phosphorous in kelp, alfalfa, and worm castings. And there is potassium in alfalfa and kelp. Also planning on using a mono potassium phosphate spray during flower to help out.
Yes, but you have nothing in there that will break down those minerals and nutrients so they can be used. Especially if it was only a short cook time. Dolomite in itself takes a long time to break down. I'm nowhere near as versed in this as @Emilya but I believe this to be true.

Maybe it will work after cooking a bit more... but you asked what we saw in the pictures... I see hungry plants and I see an explanation for why this is happening. I see no readily available components that are going to be needed for flower or apparently able to sustain late veg. I hope it all works out for you, but I suggest you have some organic flowering nutes ready to use in case you need it, and in the meantime you might want to brew up a nice tea of liquid fish, seaweed, guano, kelp, oyster shells, alfalfa, molasses, ewc, manure and some cal mag and see if you can at least get through veg.

Back
Top Bottom