Yellowing moving up

longjon18

Hey everyone,
Not too long ago I posted about my first blade leaves turning yellow, and the responses I got were it was normal and just might need a little feeding. I have super soil at the bottom of the pot and am afraid that adding more nutrients will cause her to burn. The problem is now the blade leaves turned yellow and fell off and now the next set of leaves are turning yellow. I have calmag for deficiencies and the general hydroponics line of liquid nutrients. Should I add a little calmag to her to see if that helps or should I use the general hydroponics or just leave her be?

EB7CFBBA-38BC-4987-8D9F-F09BCCD8DAA7.jpeg

B097BCE6-2164-45FD-8D99-8D9BFA2290D5.jpeg

3851575F-F106-4D6C-A4A7-EFBA3F6EAC14.jpeg

Hi longjon - give her a thorough flood/drain of nutes + seaweed extract + CalMag, or better still stand her in a bucket of feed for an hour or so to activate the soil, ie watering from the bottom to encourage roots to go there - she looks dry and hungry to me. The substrate looks highly aerated so don't let it dry out completely between waterings
In that size of pot, she should be overflowing with lush growth, not the odd leaf on a spindly stem

Hi longjon - give her a thorough flood/drain of nutes + seaweed extract + CalMag, or better still stand her in a bucket of feed for an hour or so to activate the soil, ie watering from the bottom to encourage roots to go there - she looks dry and hungry to me. The substrate looks highly aerated so don't let it dry out completely between waterings
In that size of pot, she should be overflowing with lush growth, not the odd leaf on a spindly stem
Thank you for the advice ill feed her and see how she likes it. How much water (measurement wise) do you think I should giving her

Thank you again,
Jon

Apparently the last poster wants you to totally change the way you are growing and is even advocating bottom watering, which absolutely is NOT the best way to deal with these plants. Please do not immediately go with advice that is at odds with the way everyone else does things...

You have an organic grow going with supersoil in the bottom that should be able to supply everything the plant needs, right up to the end. We need to examine why this grow is starting to have troubles, not reinvent the entire grow. A supersoil and water only grow relies on the microbes that are in the soil to feed the plants and continue to break down the supersoil and make the nutrients available to the plant. Giving tap water with chlorine in it could eventually thin out the microbes to the point they are not working well, and this could be causing the trouble you are seeing. Are you giving any microbe teas or a microbial inoculation product to help support this organic grow? Frankly, I don't see much of a problem... the color looks good and your buds seem to be developing well... one leaf going yellow is not a crisis, but I think it is suggesting that you need to work on the microbes... not totally reinvent the grow.

Apparently the last poster wants you to totally change the way you are growing and is even advocating bottom watering, which absolutely is NOT the best way to deal with these plants. Please do not immediately go with advice that is at odds with the way everyone else does things...

You have an organic grow going with supersoil in the bottom that should be able to supply everything the plant needs, right up to the end. We need to examine why this grow is starting to have troubles, not reinvent the entire grow. A supersoil and water only grow relies on the microbes that are in the soil to feed the plants and continue to break down the supersoil and make the nutrients available to the plant. Giving tap water with chlorine in it could eventually thin out the microbes to the point they are not working well, and this could be causing the trouble you are seeing. Are you giving any microbe teas or a microbial inoculation product to help support this organic grow? Frankly, I don't see much of a problem... the color looks good and your bugs seem to be developing well... one leaf going yellow is not a crisis, but I think it is suggesting that you need to work on the microbes... not totally reinvent the grow.
So far the only thing I’ve been giving her was just tap water so far, no nutrients, nothing except the water and super soil, I did notice my ph of the soil was/is a little high more towards the 8 mark so I don’t know if that is causing lockout or just messing with her in general. But the only reason I am a little worried is that the leaf before that one turned yellow and fell off so it seems like its slowly yellowing and moving from bottom to top, so I want to stop it asap. But what should I do to work on the microbes?

Thank you
Jon

So far the only thing I’ve been giving her was just tap water so far, no nutrients, nothing except the water and super soil, I did notice my ph of the soil was/is a little high more towards the 8 mark so I don’t know if that is causing lockout or just messing with her in general. But the only reason I am a little worried is that the leaf before that one turned yellow and fell off so it seems like its slowly yellowing and moving from bottom to top, so I want to stop it asap. But what should I do to work on the microbes?

Thank you
Jon
The problem is not the pH of the soil... most good soils are set so their base pH is near 8, but the only reason we need to worry about pH is if we are running synthetic nutes because they are locked up in their salt bonds until they encounter a solution that is within a certain pH range... this way the nutes can stay stable in the bottle. In an organic grow, pH is not a factor and is not the problem here.

The problem is clearly the tap water. Over time, the chlorine in the tap water has managed to start killing off your microbes that were making the supersoil work. The fix is simple though, just add more microbes. There are many microbial inoculation products out there, depending on where in the world you are. I like Realgrower's Recharge, available in a powder form so it is very cheap to ship. There is also URB and Voodoo Juice that are nothing more than microbes, and there are many other products available these days both liquid and powder that do the same thing. Bottom line is you need a fresh hit of microbes about once a week, and then your tap water will not affect this grow in the least. Some will advise you to "brew a compost tea" but there is a huge learning curve there to do it right... I strongly suggest one of the above described products, ASAP. 48 hours after you apply fresh microbes, this grow will be going strong again.

The problem is not the pH of the soil... most good soils are set so their base pH is near 8, but the only reason we need to worry about pH is if we are running synthetic nutes because they are locked up in their salt bonds until they encounter a solution that is within a certain pH range... this way the nutes can stay stable in the bottle. In an organic grow, pH is not a factor and is not the problem here.

The problem is clearly the tap water. Over time, the chlorine in the tap water has managed to start killing off your microbes that were making the supersoil work. The fix is simple though, just add more microbes. There are many microbial inoculation products out there, depending on where in the world you are. I like Realgrower's Recharge, available in a powder form so it is very cheap to ship. There is also URB and Voodoo Juice that are nothing more than microbes, and there are many other products available these days both liquid and powder that do the same thing. Bottom line is you need a fresh hit of microbes about once a week, and then your tap water will not affect this grow in the least. Some will advise you to "brew a compost tea" but there is a huge learning curve there to do it right... I strongly suggest one of the above described products, ASAP. 48 hours after you apply fresh microbes, this grow will be going strong again.
Okay I just ordered some recharge and Ill see how that does. Thank you for the help and advice. But now I sadly just noticed the very very tip of all the leaves are yellow, which isnt the tips yellow caused by overfeeding? This is my first grow so I am just doing my best. I haven’t been giving her any nutrients. i did just add a tiny bit of calmag to the water (about a 1/3 of what they say) but I just did that so I know it wasn’t for that. If you zoom in on the picture of my whole plant you might be able to notice it at the tips

Okay I just ordered some recharge and Ill see how that does. Thank you for the help and advice. But now I sadly just noticed the very very tip of all the leaves are yellow, which isnt the tips yellow caused by overfeeding? This is my first grow so I am just doing my best. I haven’t been giving her any nutrients. i did just add a tiny bit of calmag to the water (about a 1/3 of what they say) but I just did that so I don’t think the leaves could have changed that quick. So I am guessing it has been like that for a day or two
So logically, how could you be overfeeding if you are not feeding? I see no reason to add calmag at this point either, but a little as a preventative is not going to hurt anything.

The yellow micro tip burns that everyone associates with burning are not always that. Almost every organic grow I have ever done has done the same thing, without feeding. In this case, it might actually be indicating a bit of a potassium deficiency because of the lack of microbial activity, since Potassium is stored in the very tips and edges of the leaves. The recharge will fix you right up, I am confident, and their shipping to the USA is very quick... you should have it in 2-3 days. In the meantime you could give a 1/2 strength application of the GH nutes if you are feeling very nervous... but I think you should wait on the microbes and do it right.

So logically, how could you be overfeeding if you are not feeding? I see no reason to add calmag at this point either, but a little as a preventative is not going to hurt anything.

The yellow micro tip burns that everyone associates with burning are not always that. Almost every organic grow I have ever done has done the same thing, without feeding. In this case, it might actually be indicating a bit of a potassium deficiency because of the lack of microbial activity, since Potassium is stored in the very tips and edges of the leaves. The recharge will fix you right up, I am confident, and their shipping to the USA is very quick... you should have it in 2-3 days. In the meantime you could give a 1/2 strength application of the GH nutes if you are feeling very nervous... but I think you should wait on the microbes and do it right.

Sounds good and thats what wasn’t making sense to me was the “tips burning” but good to know its more a natural thing. I placed the order so I’ll wait and give that a try and go from there. Thank you again I really appreciate you helping me out

You have an organic grow going with supersoil in the bottom that should be able to supply everything the plant needs, right up to the end. We need to examine why this grow is starting to have troubles, not reinvent the entire grow. A supersoil and water only grow relies on the microbes that are in the soil to feed the plants and continue to break down the supersoil and make the nutrients available to the plant. Giving tap water with chlorine in it could eventually thin out the microbes to the point they are not working well, and this could be causing the trouble you are seeing. Are you giving any microbe teas or a microbial inoculation product to help support this organic grow? Frankly, I don't see much of a problem... the color looks good and your buds seem to be developing well... one leaf going yellow is not a crisis, but I think it is suggesting that you need to work on the microbes... not totally reinvent the grow.
'totally change the way you're growing'?
'the way everyone else does things'?
'totally reinvent the grow'?
I said nothing of the sort
As for 'absolutely NOT the best way' - that's your polystyrene opinion
Also I suggested seaweed extract to activate the soil, which you then go on to suggest!
Don't know why you keep jumping down my throat pal - but let's leave it there and agree to disagree
No problem, happy grows :cool:

Sounds good and thats what wasn’t making sense to me was the “tips burning” but good to know its more a natural thing. I placed the order so I’ll wait and give that a try and go from there. Thank you again I really appreciate you helping me out
I do have one last question if you have the time. I order a 8oz bag of the recharge and it says it will be here friday. I could order the 16oz bag and get it sooner (most likely tues/weds) but I was trying to save some money, do you think she will be fine until friday or should I just eat it and order the bigger bag so I can get it sooner?
Thanks,
Jon

I do have one last question if you have the time. I order a 8oz bag of the recharge and it says it will be here friday. I could order the 16oz bag and get it sooner (most likely tues/weds) but I was trying to save some money, do you think she will be fine until friday or should I just eat it and order the bigger bag so I can get it sooner?
Thanks,
Jon
Since you are already losing leaves, I would do the sooner rather than later order. She will survive waiting, but if you have that option, I would take it.

Thanks,
Jon
After you've wasted some money on Dust of the Grand Wazoo Miracle Snake Oil Voodoo Gunk and nothing has happened, drench the entire pot to run off with an organic feed with seaweed to activate the soil; it usually contains micros, enzymes and Humic - what the hell, go to town and water from the top, it makes no difference except that standing will draw up precisely the right amount of moisture for your medium exactly where the roots expect to find it
Do come back tell us how you got on

After you've wasted some money on Dust of the Grand Wazoo Miracle Snake Oil Voodoo Gunk and nothing has happened, drench the entire pot to run off with an organic feed with seaweed to activate the soil; it usually contains micros, enzymes and Humic - what the hell, go to town and water from the top, it makes no difference except that standing will draw up precisely the right amount of moisture for your medium exactly where the roots expect to find it
Do come back tell us how you got on
I have run entire grows before on nothing but supersoil and RealGrower's Recharge, using tap water, just as our OP is attempting to do. This product, given my full endorsement as well as all the other microbial inoculation products out there, are real... they are not snake oil. While I am at it, seaweed is not going to bring in what is needed... It might be a good supplement for a grow not having the problems this grow is having, but it is totally inappropriate to rely on this supplement to supply bloom cycle microbes. In my humble opinion, following your advice would lead to even greater problems. There is nothing at all wrong with the method the OP chose to use in this grow, the only mistake was underestimating the cumulative harm to the microbes from the chlorine in the tap water.

Bottom watering is also a quick way of totally losing control over the watering cycle, and not having any idea how fast the plant is using the water or how much it drew up, and it is an easy way to drown the lower roots. If this is how you choose to water your plants, that is fine, but please do not make it sound like this is the standard way to water plants in closed containers, because it is not. I was not going to respond to your suggestions any more, not enjoying arguing with you on someone's problem thread, but you seem to not be able to concede the points made above, and I don't want your passion to confuse our OP. @longjon18, fear not... you have chosen wisely. All advice received on the internet needs to be backed up by multiple opinions... be careful.

@Emilya @Growings

I appreciate both inputs, I am going to take this one thing at a time to hopefully not cause anymore damage. So if one this doesn’t work I’ll try another. But thank you for all the help and advice. I’ll come back and let you both know how its doing.
Thank you again,
Jon

@Emilya @Growings

I appreciate both inputs, I am going to take this one thing at a time to hopefully not cause anymore damage. So if one this doesn’t work I’ll try another. But thank you for all the help and advice. I’ll come back and let you both know how its doing.
Thank you again,
Jon
Fair comment, let's see

Back
Top Bottom