Yet another Is this hermie? thread

Making Feminised Seed
To make feminized seed you must induce male flowers in a female plant. There is all sorts of information on the Internet about doing this with light stress (light interruptions during flowering) and other forms of stress. The best of the stress techniques is to simply keep the plant in the flowering stage well past ripeness and it will produce a flower.

Stress techniques will work but whatever genetic weakness caused the plants to produce a male flower under stress will be carried on to the seeds. This means the resulting seeds have a known tendency to produce hermaphrodites. Fortunately, environmental stress is not the only way to produce male flowers in a female plant.

The ideal way to produce feminized seed through hormonal alteration of the plant. By adding or inhibiting plant hormones you can cause the plant to produce male flowers. Because you did not select a plant that produces male flowers under stress there is no genetic predisposition to hermaphroditism in the seed vs plants bred between a male and female parent. There are actually a few ways to do this, the easiest I will list here...

"This isn't female throwing bananas in late flower.... It legit has both male and female parts. No point in saving.... sorry"

Concur with the above. Having had my female plants last grow do the throw a few male flowers thing, that i can tolerate. Clones of the "least hermie" one of those in flower now (26 days) and looking good :) .......although did not see male flowers on last grow until day 30. :(

I have a separate micro grow going from the seed off the self fertilized "hermies" from last grow. Hoping they are all female.

Slightly hermie plants i can learn to luv.. Not the one you got though. :( Condolences.

"This isn't female throwing bananas in late flower.... It legit has both male and female parts. No point in saving.... sorry"

Concur with the above. Having had my female plants last grow do the throw a few male flowers thing, that i can tolerate. Clones of the "least hermie" one of those in flower now (26 days) and looking good :) .......although did not see male flowers on last grow until day 30. :(

I have a separate micro grow going from the seed off the self fertilized "hermies" from last grow. Hoping they are all female.

Slightly hermie plants i can learn to luv.. Not the one you got though. :( Condolences.
To get s1 you takethepollen from the hermie and pollinate an none hermie of the same strain.
I agree no point in saving if your not after seeds

Making Feminised Seed
To make feminized seed you must induce male flowers in a female plant. There is all sorts of information on the Internet about doing this with light stress (light interruptions during flowering) and other forms of stress. The best of the stress techniques is to simply keep the plant in the flowering stage well past ripeness and it will produce a flower.

Stress techniques will work but whatever genetic weakness caused the plants to produce a male flower under stress will be carried on to the seeds. This means the resulting seeds have a known tendency to produce hermaphrodites. Fortunately, environmental stress is not the only way to produce male flowers in a female plant.

The ideal way to produce feminized seed through hormonal alteration of the plant. By adding or inhibiting plant hormones you can cause the plant to produce male flowers. Because you did not select a plant that produces male flowers under stress there is no genetic predisposition to hermaphroditism in the seed vs plants bred between a male and female parent. There are actually a few ways to do this, the easiest I will list here...
Most plants will produce male flowers if stressed.
So the possibility is in the genetics anyways.
After you stress to get seeds you grow in perfect conditions= no stress= no hermie.
If your constantly getting hermies....you have a light leak.

Had some results from my current grows.

All 4 plants in my main tent are well into flower, buds filling out. they are all clones of a female plant from my last grow that did throw a few male flowers.

Have interfered with these a LOT less and they have had more stable and consistent light conditions. Am probably 3 weeks ofr so from harvesting them and none of them have thrown anything male.

Have had a bit of tip burn from about the halfway mark of flowering but, i reckon they have had reasonably stress free lives. So, no hermies showing, but i know for a fact this plant has the genetics to do it if it gets the right trigger...whatever that is.

Have 7 plants in my "spacebox" under an LED. these were grown from seeds that came from self fertilised hermi plants. Flipped these to 12/12 light 12 days after germination, and can say as of today (15 days since flip) they are all showing as females with flowers developing at the top. So, thats the info i wanted from these. The seeds i have ARE feminised. So i know that i have a stock of feminised and a stock of regular seeds in hand.

And i know from my own experience now that hermi tendencies are just not a problem for how i want to grow. :)

Happiness. :)

"My first try went hermie and those seeds were 100% female. I used them and had good results, I have a few left"

Learn to luv thy hermies i reckon. :) For a home , personal use grower they are just not an issue, and, much better to have hermies than males in the crop.

99% of the time its something with growing conditions, even if you didnt realize. Most seeds you will buy arent at all disposed to it without an environmental factor triggering it. But pick a stable female out of reg seeds and you will have less chance imo. But i havent had a fem seed hermie on me ever so i dont know whats going on.

Its most likely a light leak
Or heat.
When I purposely stressed mine I took it out of the closest for a day.
I do that week 2 of flower.
Take it out for a day a couple times a week unroll week 4.
There are lots of methods that work .
It can be done to clones just as easy.
It dosnt mean bad genetics.
It means environmental stress

Big negative on that buddy... once a plant has hermied it'll always be a hermie... it'll also pass the hermie trait on to all of its seeds

Maybe it does that. I have grown over a dozen plants from hermie seeds and I think I only got one hermie from that batch, the rest were females. So I suspect hermaphroditism is not a dominant trait in an F1. It is any easy way to experiment with breeding new strains and you can easily spot pollinate a single bud site with an artist's paint brush!

So, i have 7 plants in my "spacebox". All from "feminised seed". That because they were from pollen from hermie plants.

Have run them 12/12 from about 3 weeks after germination. Was a quick small grow mainly to test % female on the seeds.

Anyhow, flowering nicely. Checked yesterday and as i took the top of the box, dust drifting through the plants. One gone hermie and dropped lots of pollen.

So, have more female seeds on the way.

Post upthread talked of light leak. These plants have been very healthy and had stable environment, well no shocks anyway. Have vent and fan in the box with light baffles, bit the baffles arent perfect. The one out of 7 plants that went hermie was right at the end with the fan about the tallest plant. Probably most likely of this batch to get light exposure during dark time. Not definitive i know.

Anyhow, last grow in the main tent just harvested had no seeds whatsoever, and this being a small grow (reckon will get less than 20g out of it in bud) is actually good to get some fresh female seeds.

Seeyahs!

This thread is not too old yet to dig up right? :eek:

Interesting subject. I'm researching of course, because I just found this tiny yellow flower on a bud late in flower (week seven, flipped on 9/2 today is 10/25). It's really small but, in looking around most every cola has at least one, maybe two bananas on my big fat hard sticky buds. I'm sure I could never find them all but I pulled with tweezers all I did find (spreading the pollen around probably).

Stress, I did use some old ferts when I ran out three weeks ago and I burned em good, not kill your plant burn but maybe 10% of the leaves got fried - lesson learned, don't use that leftover old bottle of ferts from in the garage.

Questions I thought of;

I'm guessing this is where bag seed comes from?

Since the plant is self pollinating does that increase the odds of recessives showing up?

If you took two clones from a female plant, used CS on one and pollinated the other with the resulting pollen, would you get female plants with no excessive hermi tendencies?

Have some hermies in my current grow. Main tent will have quite a bit of seed, and the clones that i have in my spacebox somewhat so as i have found a couple of male flowers on those.

All my current plants are female, grown from seed from self fertilised "hermie" females.

In terms of stress, well these plants just haven't had any. No insect probs and nothing in the way of nutrient deficiencies noted during the grow. Fan leaves yellowing off as normal during the last half of flowering and thats all.

Because of my growing situation i do run the grow in the 25-31 C range for temp and around 45-50% humidity......plants happy but maybe thats enough "stress" to induce hermies??

"Since the plant is self pollinating does that increase the odds of recessives showing up? "

Maybe. Bit of genetic mixing in my lot of female seeds, but its only between females. Certainly i am looking at another grow soonish in the small spacebox where i will use a few regular seeds and hope for a couple of males that i'll let flower to get some more regular seeds and mix things up again genetically. Thats about the best i can do to try and alleviate concerns about the line i have losing "vigor" over time by constantly using female seeds.

"If you took two clones from a female plant, used CS on one and pollinated the other with the resulting pollen, would you get female plants with no excessive hermi tendencies? "

Maybe, if you start from a female plant you KNOW does not go hermie easily??

My thought is that there are just some plants that have stronger hermie tendencies than others. My understanding is that the hermie thing is a survival mechanism that all female plants have to some extent or another. I've learned to love my hermies as when i started growing again i had lots of hassles getting seed. :) Too risky for me, here to buy them online so the variety i have is it for me. And, even with seeds produced this weed is plenty fine for me to smoke and do tincture from.

I knew it, or a part of it, definitely. CBD is one of the best treatments for it you can find. People I know got it thanks to this: MMJ HERB It's really helpful if you have trouble getting it for medicinal uses.

Back
Top Bottom