Yet Another Nube Grow Journal

SleepIsWrong

Greetings All!

I got bit by the bug late last winter and scored a few clones from a friend. Two Desert Diesel and one White Widow. I received the plants on March 15th. My friend was growing hydroponically; these plants were in coco coir when we received them. We transplanted the next day into regular soil mixed up by my spousal unit. The menu - 4 parts premium leaf gro, 2 parts peat moss, 1 part vermiculite, one part pearlite. I initially put the plants on a platform on my work bench in the basement, directly (around 4") below a 3-foot long LED shop light - 60w equivalent. I ran the light 24-0. I use the Fox Farms trio for nutrients and follow their grow chart - more or less. Mostly I give less nutrients than recommended - around 2/3 most of the time. My water is filtered municipal water that seems to be around 7.0-7.2. I do not have a pH pen, just the test kit that comes with the pH-up and pH-down kit. I watered/fed perhaps a little too frequently early on - about every 2 or 3 days.

Here's a picture from March 26th.

It only took me two weeks to decide but on March 30th I bought a grow tent kit from a local grow shop - got all the necessary accoutrements except some fans, which I was able to find at the local big-box hardware store - 1 short cylindrical oscillating fan that I keep underneath, and two 6-inch clamp fans (fixed) that I direct towards the canopy. Next picture is the ladies in their new grow tent.

On April 2nd we transplanted into their final pots - two 5-gallon and 1 7-gallon fabric pots. I was planning to trellis the plants to spread things out and so figured I needed to go to their final pot size since I was not going to be able to re-pot them. The soil mix was the same - 4 parts premium leaf grow, 2 parts peat moss, one part vermiculite, one part pearlite. We watered pretty heavily once they were in the new pots - with nutrients. I always balance my feed to around 6-6.5, and test the runoff, which always seems to be more acidic than what I'm top-feeding. It took a few days for the plants to recover as I think they were a bit over-watered. I let things dry out and did not feed for five days, at which time the plants were looking quite happy.

So other than feed/water every four or five days that brings us up to today. As mentioned, I use the Fox Farms trio of nutrients that everyone seems to start with. Each feed is given about 20 ml/gallon of Fox Farms Big Bloom, and about 10ml/gallon of Fox Farms Grow Big - which is 2/3 the strength recommended. Because the runoff from my previous feed (on April 14th) was quite acidic (seemed lower than 5) I decided that today's feed would be simply water (which I tested at slightly above pH=7). Generally I've been giving 2 gallons per feed. Here's a picture of the canopy this morning before I did some pruning (just removing leaves from below and larger ones from above that were shading lower colas). Since installing in the tent I've been running a 18-6 light cycle.

So, my plan right now is to let this feed dry out, and at next feed switch to 12-12 lighting schedule to initialize flowering. The nutrient mix is still TBD. Any and all advice is totally welcome! I've been on the site for only a week or so but have learned a ton. Thanks for looking!

Greetings All!

I got bit by the bug late last winter and scored a few clones from a friend. Two Desert Diesel and one White Widow. I received the plants on March 15th. My friend was growing hydroponically; these plants were in coco coir when we received them. We transplanted the next day into regular soil mixed up by my spousal unit. The menu - 4 parts premium leaf gro, 2 parts peat moss, 1 part vermiculite, one part pearlite. I initially put the plants on a platform on my work bench in the basement, directly (around 4") below a 3-foot long LED shop light - 60w equivalent. I ran the light 24-0. I use the Fox Farms trio for nutrients and follow their grow chart - more or less. Mostly I give less nutrients than recommended - around 2/3 most of the time. My water is filtered municipal water that seems to be around 7.0-7.2. I do not have a pH pen, just the test kit that comes with the pH-up and pH-down kit. I watered/fed perhaps a little too frequently early on - about every 2 or 3 days.

Here's a picture from March 26th.

It only took me two weeks to decide but on March 30th I bought a grow tent kit from a local grow shop - got all the necessary accoutrements except some fans, which I was able to find at the local big-box hardware store - 1 short cylindrical oscillating fan that I keep underneath, and two 6-inch clamp fans (fixed) that I direct towards the canopy. Next picture is the ladies in their new grow tent.

On April 2nd we transplanted into their final pots - two 5-gallon and 1 7-gallon fabric pots. I was planning to trellis the plants to spread things out and so figured I needed to go to their final pot size since I was not going to be able to re-pot them. The soil mix was the same - 4 parts premium leaf grow, 2 parts peat moss, one part vermiculite, one part pearlite. We watered pretty heavily once they were in the new pots - with nutrients. I always balance my feed to around 6-6.5, and test the runoff, which always seems to be more acidic than what I'm top-feeding. It took a few days for the plants to recover as I think they were a bit over-watered. I let things dry out and did not feed for five days, at which time the plants were looking quite happy.

So other than feed/water every four or five days that brings us up to today. As mentioned, I use the Fox Farms trio of nutrients that everyone seems to start with. Each feed is given about 20 ml/gallon of Fox Farms Big Bloom, and about 10ml/gallon of Fox Farms Grow Big - which is 2/3 the strength recommended. Because the runoff from my previous feed (on April 14th) was quite acidic (seemed lower than 5) I decided that today's feed would be simply water (which I tested at slightly above pH=7). Generally I've been giving 2 gallons per feed. Here's a picture of the canopy this morning before I did some pruning (just removing leaves from below and larger ones from above that were shading lower colas). Since installing in the tent I've been running a 18-6 light cycle.

So, my plan right now is to let this feed dry out, and at next feed switch to 12-12 lighting schedule to initialize flowering. The nutrient mix is still TBD. Any and all advice is totally welcome! I've been on the site for only a week or so but have learned a ton. Thanks for looking!
Welcome to 420magazine my friend.
Great looking girls.
Are you comfortable with your watering techniques? or would you like a couple tutorials we have here.
Bill

Your White Widow looks NOTHING like mine but still awesome man. I look forward to watching your progress, good luck!

D20F444C-A9F7-4266-A0D8-1F8CEAA3F3B1.jpeg

Thanks Hayron!

Wow - that's a fine looking piece of horticultural goodness right there!

Ya - I'm only going by what my friend had labeled on the pot the clone was in.

Thinking of going to 12-12 to induce flowering next week. Do you think that is proper timing? I can't go super tall as my grow tent is only 5'11", at least five or six inches of which are taken up by a cart the tent sits on (so I can roll it aside if I have a project to work on downstairs) and a metal rack the fabric pots sit on so that they aren't sitting in runoff. The last picture I took did not have that in it. So, ya - do you think I can go to flower at this point? I'm not in any rush - just don't want to outgrow the tent. More pictures tomorrow. Girls are sleeping right now.

Welcome SleepIsWrong, Good start! What does the footprint of that light look like?
Thanks!

The grow light is an HLG 100 Rspec. I believe it is specified as being sufficient for 24x24 inches for flowering. My grow tent is 24x30, so it is close but wondering if I shouldn't get a second one just to be sure. What do you think?

Welcome to 420magazine my friend.
Great looking girls.
Are you comfortable with your watering techniques? or would you like a couple tutorials we have here.
Bill
Hi Bill - yes, please give me a link or two. I'm setting up a new watering rig - just a 3-gallon jug with some flexible 3/8-inch hose - gravity feed. But feeding technique beyond that is a mystery to me.

Hi Bill - yes, please give me a link or two. I'm setting up a new watering rig - just a 3-gallon jug with some flexible 3/8-inch hose - gravity feed. But feeding technique beyond that is a mystery to me.
The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant check that it should be a link .
If not. @Bill284 will call me back and ill help.
Check that out lots of good stuff.The Proper Way To Water A Potted Plant
I can't get it to load . Go to @Emilya sig its in there.
Bill

Thanks guys! And thanks Emilya! I'm six pages in and reading the entire thread. I've been conservative with nutrients, but have fed way to quickly. I've also been fairly good at not overwatering, at least reading Emilya's thread, but still likely more frequently than would be recommended.

So here are some updates for the grow.

I figured I needed something to keep the fabric pots off of the tent floor and out of any runoff. So I bought some 12-inch wide wire shelving and cut it into a couple of pieces, creating a shallow inverted "U" shape that keeps the pots about 1" above the tent floor. To remove runoff I use some flexible hose with an adapter for a "Bucket Head" wet/dry vac from home despot. For my next grow I'm thinking I'll just put a hole in the bottom of the tent and a tray under the roll-around cart I have it on. Much easier!

Here's what the 1-inch riser looks like:

Sadly, in order to get that into the tent I had to remove the plants, which had already been trained a bit along a trellis. There's no way I got the pots back in at the same rotation angle so I had to bend a few stems to get it all to fit. Not as nice as it was before! From earlier today:

After reading Emilya's thread regarding how to water soil-potted MJ plants I realized I'd been feeding WAY too quickly! So I put together a very simple gravity-fed syphon setup using a 3-gallon water bottle and some plastic hose. Using a clip I can stop the flow, which is much slower to begin with. Here's that setup:

So more questions:

1) Thinking it may be time to go to 12-12 lighting schedule to initialize flowering. The tallest tops are around 24" high right now. My current plan is to do so sometime next week (next feed). Is that too soon?

2) Assuming I do go to initialize flowering next week should I consider topping one last time, just the couple of tallest stems?

Thanks as always for any suggestions!

My current plan is to do so sometime next week (next feed). Is that too soon?
I'd go with the foxfarm's schedule
Assuming I do go to initialize flowering next week should I consider topping one last time, just the couple of tallest stems?
I wouldn't. Tha main colas would be cut off. But might if going to wait a couple of weeks or a few, then yes. But then the plant would be much bigger.

Okay - so today I flipped lighting to 12-12. Instead of topping, should things get out of hand during the stretch, I'll continue lst and some bending.

Pictures from today.

Back
Top Bottom