Yield problems

TheFertilizer

So you know, I keep reading all this talk about people getting 3 or 4 ounces off a single plant and I gotta say I don't see how I'm gonna get there going about it the way I am. To be honest it seems kind of unrealistic, but I might be stuck in the past. I have been reading about how to do this a long time before I ever got started, back when a 400 W light like mine was the most popular... Now you dang kids are spoiled with your 600s and 1000s like they were standard equipment! I remember back when people were rocking 400s more they would still say that even a novice could get 2 ounces per plant. So here I am still only getting 1 1/4 and it's just ticking me off.

I've tried all sorts of training methods, I've tried veg'ing for longer, and I don't really know what the limiting factor could be besides the low light. I really can't get anything stronger though because I live in a crappy apartment with a 30 amp fuse box that blows fuses enough as it is with the 400.

I think the other possibility could be genetics though. I haven't really grown any reputable genetics yet. I think the closest to it were some S1 feminized Platinum Girl Scout Cookies, but I'd still consider these bagseeds as I bought them out of a buddy's sandwich baggy. Otherwise all I've grown is Blackberry Kush, and that has been bagseed. Supposedly it's a really high yielder though so I expected to get more off of it.

First "real grow" (technically my 12/12 from seed was the first but... meh) I had the PGSC and BBK in 3 gallon pots and got about 1.25-1.5 ounces per plant. This time around I think the BBK I have is a different lower yielding phentotype, and I only got 1.25 ounces per plant in 5 gallon containers. I also scrogged one of them after it got real big--3 feet high with a nice inch thick diameter stalk. Anyway, it did have some kind of problems but even that one only yielded 34 grams.

Anyway, I've got some Panama x Malawi started, and it's supposed to be some really high yielding stuff so I'm hoping to finally break that 2 oz per plant barrier, but I am kind of unconvinced that it's a genetic thing since the strains that I have grown have been super good weed--both tested out at higher than 20% THC. However, if they're that potent, it stands to reason I'm not doing anything wrong, so where's the holdup?

I'm kind of considering *gulp* switching to hydro...

Light timing? I started by running a how at beginning of the grow in doing now then changed to led and the growth difference has been phenomenal. I run 18/6 water three times a week one of which is feeding they are supposed to be a hard strain and short mine are now 2 ft tall and just in darkness ready to flip to flower. Sometimes it's down to environment to hot or to cold? I have 12 and 14 main colas on my to plants which I'm hoping for good yields. Maybe a change in routine will help get better yields. Hydro is one I want to try as yield are supposed to be higher

Good question there, sometimes do think it's about getting lucky on the seeds genetic wheel. I actually started off on my balcony, and my first harvest don't think it summed to 34 grams on 4 plants :laughtwo: .. I have had some crazy buds just growing under the next best thing that I had back then, the good cfl's. Now under LED there's clearly a difference in branching and overall structure, even though I don't use a great panel, somehow does it's job :love: .. So my opinion is that it does matter how much light/nutes/love you use but I feel like it's about the seeds pedigree as well.
I am in no position of giving any advice on this subject so I am very much interested in an answer too. :circle-of-love:

I am a pretty new grower, only one full round under my belt. I went with DWC and was very pleased with my results. 2 plants gave me 280 grams under 2 600 watt LEDS. Through my research prior to growing I determined if I could get .5 grams per actual watt used I would be happy. With the 2 600 watt LED's I was pulling about 552 actual watts. Do 400 watt mh/hps lights actually pull that many watts? I'm assuming they do so if you are using 400 watts worth of light, you could say 200 grams would be an average to good yield. I noticed you harvested 162 grams from your second journal's harvest. That is pretty close to what I would think an average yield would be using that light. It looked like the nodes were pretty far apart on those ladies as well, that may have contributed to the lighter harvest.

As far as switching to hydro...come to the dark side...we have water? Lol! Its funny, never having grown in soil, I look at it the same way you look at hydro. I would be scared to ever try to grow anything in soil lol! You may consider switching to LED or adding an LED. I was very impressed with the results of mine. You could probably get a 600-800 "watt" LED that would pull about the same wattage as the 400 watt mp/hps. I don't know if that would increase yield or not, remember, I am speaking from a point of limited experience but I did want to offer up my humble opinion.

:passitleft:

hello!

iv just yielded 20.3oz from 4 plants, 4 northern lights, 20L pots, 60/40 coco/perlite mix, vegged for 5 weeks from when sprout broke soil.

4x4 tent, 600w mh then 600w hps.

i never topped i just placed 150mm square screen up and kept bending her branches over including main stem, just like when you scrog.

took me 90 days from sprout breaking soil to cutting them down, used canna & advanced nutrients range, but the best nutrients i can advise anyone to buy is house and garden root stimulator! amazing stuff!

ignore the 2 plants in 7L pots they were taking out.
IMG_20170618_131513.jpg

I am a pretty new grower, only one full round under my belt. I went with DWC and was very pleased with my results. 2 plants gave me 280 grams under 2 600 watt LEDS. Through my research prior to growing I determined if I could get .5 grams per actual watt used I would be happy. With the 2 600 watt LED's I was pulling about 552 actual watts. Do 400 watt mh/hps lights actually pull that many watts? I'm assuming they do so if you are using 400 watts worth of light, you could say 200 grams would be an average to good yield. I noticed you harvested 162 grams from your second journal's harvest. That is pretty close to what I would think an average yield would be using that light. It looked like the nodes were pretty far apart on those ladies as well, that may have contributed to the lighter harvest.

As far as switching to hydro...come to the dark side...we have water? Lol! Its funny, never having grown in soil, I look at it the same way you look at hydro. I would be scared to ever try to grow anything in soil lol! You may consider switching to LED or adding an LED. I was very impressed with the results of mine. You could probably get a 600-800 "watt" LED that would pull about the same wattage as the 400 watt mp/hps. I don't know if that would increase yield or not, remember, I am speaking from a point of limited experience but I did want to offer up my humble opinion.

:passitleft:

Yeah I thought about LEDs, but I don't think that I could even afford an LED of that strength they're always like 300-400 bucks.

higherthehigh,

Yeah see those are the kind of results that I keep seeing with hydro, even passive hydro like coco and perlite. But I kind of wonder if I would still get the same with my 400 w as with a 600 w.

why cant you use a 600w?

Reason was stated in the first post:

I really can't get anything stronger though because I live in a crappy apartment with a 30 amp fuse box that blows fuses enough as it is with the 400.

Try a one-plant scrog grow in DWC, relatively large (20- to 25-gallon) reservoir with mad amounts of aeration, lengthy vegetative period. Make sure grow space is not too large for your 400-watt HPS, and make sure it is shaped to fit your light's footprint (otherwise, you'll have dim areas on two opposite sides, bright spots on the other two walls, or both). Keep undergrowth trimmed, because - if the scrog thing is done correctly - you'll have a thick enough canopy that your light won't penetrate beyond it. Follow the usual common sense practices. Aim to get the screen as full as possible without going over...

...and enjoy a fine harvest, lol.

Anyway, I've got some Panama x Malawi started, and it's supposed to be some really high yielding stuff

I'd guess that a cross of two landrace sativas is going to be screaming for light. Might want to take that into account when you size your grow space (I'd aim for at least 62.5 watts per square foot). And I'd also expect to see a fairly large internodal gap, too - so... yeah, definitely wants a scrog grow.

IMHO. As in all things, YMMV, of course.

Reason was stated in the first post:

Try a one-plant scrog grow in DWC, relatively large (20- to 25-gallon) reservoir with mad amounts of aeration, lengthy vegetative period. Make sure grow space is not too large for your 400-watt HPS, and make sure it is shaped to fit your light's footprint (otherwise, you'll have dim areas on two opposite sides, bright spots on the other two walls, or both). Keep undergrowth trimmed, because - if the scrog thing is done correctly - you'll have a thick enough canopy that your light won't penetrate beyond it. Follow the usual common sense practices. Aim to get the screen as full as possible without going over...

...and enjoy a fine harvest, lol.

I'd guess that a cross of two landrace sativas is going to be screaming for light. Might want to take that into account when you size your grow space (I'd aim for at least 62.5 watts per square foot). And I'd also expect to see a fairly large internodal gap, too - so... yeah, definitely wants a scrog grow.

IMHO. As in all things, YMMV, of course.

Only thing is that I already have two 4x4 tents. I tried ordering a 3x3 for my t5 but I clicked the wrong option. Don't wanna have to get rid of two tents.

That's another thing that gets me confused I keep seeing the watt per square foot getting higher and higher. Use to hear 30 watts per square foot. Seems like as time went on people started disagreeing about light requirements because even Jorge's 2006 book was saying a 400 w was adequate for a 4x4. But I'm wondering if they were just more accepting of getting 1-2 Oz a plant and the levels went up as people started seeing more yield?

I guess what I'm saying is I know people have been growing for a long time with light levels like mine, but I wonder if these 3 and 4 Oz plants were common place before 600 and 1000 watt lights. Gotta be a way to get it done with what I have.

Gonna try the dwc scrog sometime because that's what I was leaning towards as well. I did try a scrog recently but only in a 7 gallon pot. Can't really make a judgement from that though since it was sick the whole time.

So you know, I keep reading all this talk about people getting 3 or 4 ounces off a single plant and I gotta say I don't see how I'm gonna get there going about it the way I am. To be honest it seems kind of unrealistic, but I might be stuck in the past. I have been reading about how to do this a long time before I ever got started, back when a 400 W light like mine was the most popular... Now you dang kids are spoiled with your 600s and 1000s like they were standard equipment! I remember back when people were rocking 400s more they would still say that even a novice could get 2 ounces per plant. So here I am still only getting 1 1/4 and it's just ticking me off.

I've tried all sorts of training methods, I've tried veg'ing for longer, and I don't really know what the limiting factor could be besides the low light. I really can't get anything stronger though because I live in a crappy apartment with a 30 amp fuse box that blows fuses enough as it is with the 400.

I think the other possibility could be genetics though. I haven't really grown any reputable genetics yet. I think the closest to it were some S1 feminized Platinum Girl Scout Cookies, but I'd still consider these bagseeds as I bought them out of a buddy's sandwich baggy. Otherwise all I've grown is Blackberry Kush, and that has been bagseed. Supposedly it's a really high yielder though so I expected to get more off of it.

First "real grow" (technically my 12/12 from seed was the first but... meh) I had the PGSC and BBK in 3 gallon pots and got about 1.25-1.5 ounces per plant. This time around I think the BBK I have is a different lower yielding phentotype, and I only got 1.25 ounces per plant in 5 gallon containers. I also scrogged one of them after it got real big--3 feet high with a nice inch thick diameter stalk. Anyway, it did have some kind of problems but even that one only yielded 34 grams.

Anyway, I've got some Panama x Malawi started, and it's supposed to be some really high yielding stuff so I'm hoping to finally break that 2 oz per plant barrier, but I am kind of unconvinced that it's a genetic thing since the strains that I have grown have been super good weed--both tested out at higher than 20% THC. However, if they're that potent, it stands to reason I'm not doing anything wrong, so where's the holdup?

I'm kind of considering *gulp* switching to hydro...
Omfg totally understand electric gremlins i hate them fucking things lol
All i can add is make sure you have a can filter to clean air im not sure if u do as im on phone app

And try to get led as close to them as u can im using 2 1500's
420-magazine-mobile1179380756.jpg

And ive never got anything over a zip per. Plant fml lol im trying made some upgrades today if you have any questions you can pm me ill share some yield secrets and my mix i use

I would say try coco!! I jus pulled my furst harvest with two girls good genetics and pulled 13 ounces. I used two 600 watt leds and watered every day sometimes twice in bloom and only used mammoth p. But all i have ever grown is coco so cant compare to any other style but will say i have been super happy with results. I have a clone in bloom and she is looming like i might pull another five or six off her. Here is a pic of her with couple weeks to go!!

420-magazine-mobile678909490.jpg

420-magazine-mobile939720313.jpg

I dont nothing othere GH cocotek nutes mammoth p and water everyday. I do jave the two leds that i bought off craigslist fir cheap but both caught brand new and i have a small tent. Try coco!! Hope i could help m kinda a beginner myself only on my second grow.

Ya very nice pics wont load cant wait till they do for me i water 2 times a week and foliar daily nice to see others over watering too lol

If training doesn't increase yield i would take a look at the light and the pots. Small pots = small root system = Small yield

I would say try coco!! I jus pulled my furst harvest with two girls good genetics and pulled 13 ounces. I used two 600 watt leds and watered every day sometimes twice in bloom and only used mammoth p. But all i have ever grown is coco so cant compare to any other style but will say i have been super happy with results. I have a clone in bloom and she is looming like i might pull another five or six off her. Here is a pic of her with couple weeks to go!!

420-magazine-mobile678909490.jpg

420-magazine-mobile939720313.jpg

I dont nothing othere GH cocotek nutes mammoth p and water everyday. I do jave the two leds that i bought off craigslist fir cheap but both caught brand new and i have a small tent. Try coco!! Hope i could help m kinda a beginner myself only on my second grow.
Show me a pic of her pistils b4 bud formed please im new and would like to see so i can compare your pistils to mine see if mine are in your range in that time of flower thats awesome

Back
Top Bottom