Yikes--Wild Boars!!!

RangerDanger

In a related thread I related a story about my visits to a hot springs in the Santa Barbara backcountry--Agua Caliente.
There are also GREAT places to hike. So me and 2 friends go there one weekend. After a Fri, nite soak, we were gonna leave Sat. morning on a 12 like r/t backpack hike, camp out in the middle of fucking nowhere, and the next day hike out, drive to the hot springs and soak our cares away.
It's a pretty level hike. Very very beautuful, and the trail goes by a reseviour where we (illegaly) fished (no luck, but we saw HUGE bear tracks at waters edge.)
So we get to this backpack campground. The hiking book I used for a reference had outdated info. The "camground" consisted of a rock ring in a clearing--that was it.
So anyway we get high and finally about 11 p.m. or so deciede to crash. We had all brought hammocks and we pitched them and soon fell asleep.
Sometime in the middle of the night I hear stange noises and I look around and there is a pack of wild boars passing through the campground. They're all around, both around us and UNDER us!
Like I said, we were in hammocks so we were relatively safe, but male boars--peccaries to be exact--have sharp tusks and know how to use them.
Now they may not have bothered us if we had been sleeping on the ground next to the campfire--who knows? But I sure was glad we were in hammocks.

I have climbed only one tree in my life. It was summer of '98, we were in southern Georgia. Walking through the woods to a fishing hole, we came across a wild pig. My brother scurried up one tree, and I ended up in another tree. How I got up there I have no idea, but I know it was feet first. It's amazing what you can do when your adrenalin is pumping.

I don't think the pig cared in the least about us. He watched us for a few minutes, probably enjoying the spectacle above him . Then he calmly saunters off in the woods.

I busted my ass getting out of the tree. And we never did go fishing.

Thanks, RD, for another great story. Keep em coming!!!

I climb trees all of the time. Wild Boars are vicious little animals when they're pissed. They're even known to be cannibalistic, if there's a fellow pig falling behind or hurt or something.

Plus, if you've read Hannibal, by Thomas Harris, your view on wild boars will change, haha.

:peace: Earth Child

Back
Top Bottom