ZombieHunter's Hydro Grow Journal - White Queen & White Widow - GH EcoGrower - 2014

zombiehunter

System:GH EcoGrower Continuous Drip/DWC hybrid
Strain(s):White Widow FEMINIZED & White Queen
Nutrients:GH 3-part nutrients Micro, Bloom & Grow using Lucas Formula with Minor Tweeks

Ok, I am right at the 30 day mark from germination and 15 days in the EG (EcoGrower)

image15488.jpg

PPM:~1300TDS
PH:~5.9-6.1 using spa strips until my meter arrives
Temperature @ Canopy High-88* Low- 66*
Relative Humidity: 32% - 58%
image15493.jpg

Reservoir Temp: I can keep it at 72* as long as I have a little ice on my recirculating head tank. I have a simple, small aquarium pump pushing my Reservoir water into a liter aluminum bottle. Once full it sits in the bottle until it is cool and pushes continuously back into the reservoir. The pressure out tube is at the top of the bottle and the warm water inlet pushes close to the bottom. Ideally I should keep all tubing slack on the inlet and outlet wrapped and the top of the bottle at the bottom sitting upside down. The wrapping of the two directions of tubing form a short "heat exchanger" further aiding in the removal of heat from the reservoir. Now, I'm not sure how well this applies to my 1L Aluminum Bottle($1.50 BigLots $3.00 black tubing from aquarium store, OLD handmedown cooler & lots of ice), but in theory the colder water will be at the bottom and therefore leaving the warmer water more time to cool. This tiny cooling system took my reservoir temps from the mid 80's (88*to be exact)down to a constant 70~72* (That is bare minimum 1 full ice change every 12hours. If I keep it iced up I can get it to 62*but my ice maker can't keep up. Lol. I will not buy ice either! We are in process of working on a saline solution that will ALMOST freeze solid but still be mailable once contained to help in ice conservation and reuse. "Never throw away anything now that you might need later" My wife HATED all my "spare" stuff till it saved us money and it allows for brainstorming future or current system upgrades without monetary investment only your time and creativity are spent.

I do need to add a passive ventilation system to the room because without keeping the door cracked the temps will hit 93-95*in less than an hour. I believe I'm going to use a couple 1 inch pass throughs in the floor( a cool 50* below the floor with only a layer of flooring and plywood blocking that nice basement/garage air. Same above except its only sheet rock. A perfect chimney concept. As long as the room is relatively air tight the pull of the hot air rising should form a vacuum or "Negative Pressure" and gently but effectively keep the room a constant cool(er) temperature. Bigger circumference top holes with smaller diameter cold air holes will actually" BLOW " cold air. Just a few 1/4 inch bottom and 1/2 top holes should take the room down a couple degrees. We are moving rooms when we hit 12/12 so no vents in this area. It will revert to clothing. Lol.
CO2:MyExhale CO2 bag above growing area. ( order on impulse and I don't believe it is making much, if any, of a difference)
Room size/Type: it's a 4ft deep 38" narrow Closet w/ 10ft ceiling
Lighting: HomeMade LightBoard with 4 9w Cree LED bulbs (60w equivalents) @5000k & 800 lumens each, 4 HomeDepot UtiliTech 23w CFLs (100w equivalents) @5000k & 1600 lumens each, 6 warm 23w CFLs (100w equivalents) @2700K & 1600 lumens each and finally(almost) 2 Miracle LED bulbs E27socket 5w (75w equivalents )@5000K & 900 lumens 1900 micro-moles To add at 12/12 2 TaoTronics E27 12w LEDs
- Led Ratio: Red(660nm 3pcs; 620~630nm 6pcs): Blue(460nm 3pcs).
- Lux Values: 1M/890, 1.5M/520, 2M/400
- Input Voltage: AC85~264V.
- Suggested height: 1.6ft-5ft; I believe the lenses are at 60 Degrees

I will try and have some photos up very soon.....
PHOTOS UP NOW-
I realize I probably gave way too much info, but this journal is for me as well as the community and I'd like to keep track of everything I can remember now so I won't forget later. This way I can make proper amendments to any further endeavors.

Thanks for reading.......
White Queen Female ( pretty positive at least)
WQ female #2

WHITE WIDOW, THE

[url='https://www.420magazine.com/community/gallery/804106']​

WW #2
image15516.jpg

I believe my brittle drying leaves were and are due to initial nutrient splashing with lights at 3"away and currently seeing small yellow striations with necrotic dead spots shortly after. Mg Deficiency I think currently.

I believe the WQ front right in grower is a male
image15517.jpg
and the small runt has come back with a vengeance the last couple days. Almost pulled it Monday.
image15518.jpg

image15488.jpg
[/url]

re: ZombieHunter's Hydro Grow Journal - White Queen & White Widow - GH - EcoGrower - 2014

Congrats ZH,
like the cooling technique!!
I rotate lg. cooler freezer blocks in .
I shoot for the mid 60's in my res. nice set up, wish I had 10' over head.
invest in the Co2 regulator & a tank, it helps greatly later on. so early on , its not all that. late bloom really rocks the buds!
luck,
Slag

re: ZombieHunter's Hydro Grow Journal - White Queen & White Widow - GH - EcoGrower - 2014

Unfortunately that 10' is because of a crazy bulk head that raises the floor in the closet up about 2 feet. Although it does help save on all the bending and lifting and allows me to syphon the res a little quicker if needed. We may be moving it to another small walk in closet so we can possibly start cloning or at the least have a separate veg and flower space.

Slag121 - Are you talking about the blue freezer blocks?

Congrats ZH,
like the cooling technique!!
I rotate lg. cooler freezer blocks in .
I shoot for the mid 60's in my res. nice set up, wish I had 10' over head.
invest in the Co2 regulator & a tank, it helps greatly later on. so early on , its not all that. late bloom really rocks the buds!
luck,
Slag

What is the highest degree of Temperature Swing the plant can tolerate during the day to night transition. I try to keep my canopy swings no more than 15 to 20degrees and the same in the reservoir. I even try and cool the air pumping to my stones in the soup. My hopes were higher O2 concentrations while possibly adding cold air humidity to the system also. If ANY theory I have where I have applied other knowledge to somewhere it can't or won't apply in this type if process. Just kindly laugh in my general direction while nudging me to a proper conclusion.

Slag-I love your signature/disclaimer :idea:

Also, I wanted to mention that I used the coco liners with hydroton fill then topped with the coco tops. I love the hydroton but I think the coco liners are keeping me from having the TRUE CD/DWC/BUBBLER HYBRID. I like the system overall so far as ease of setup and operation. It does limit close monitoring and manicuring of rear 3 plants. A person needs at least 1 1/2ft buffer space on all 4 sides. Yes it's a hexagon, but ya get my general meaning. I will probably only use 4 sites for seed to flower and 5 if cloning. That leaves ample room to add/remove solution, pumps, tube, or whatever. As is now, the roots are in danger of damage any time the top has to be pulled up for access.

Also, my budget kinda fouled my initial timing of buying , making and implementation of my light board. So in turn my babies were stretching like a 10yr old rubber band that you found in the back of your utility drawer. Luckily, I found a article/blog that advocated the stretching of ?bean? seedlings in order to quicken sturdy rooting downward and also outward from the seedling stem with it being fully buried up to the base of the 2 cotyledons. Not that I will intentionally do this in the future, but it raised valid questions that I will ask once I find the report. But it did lead to the discovery that I wasn't going to have to start in the end zone and hope for enough time to score before the game was over.
I buried them all to the cotyledons. This is why they are a little tighter to the ground. I have also topped the 2 White Widow Plants and FIMed the White Queens. Will post seedling and earlier veg pics ASAP. I am doing stress training preparing to do a light LST.

Hey zombiehunter, glad to see the journal going and nice pics! I'll be checking out your progress from time to time, best of luck! :)

:high-five: :goodjob: :yummy: :welldone: :thumb: :goodluck:

Re: ZombieHunter's Hydro Grow Journal - White Queen & White Widow - GH EcoGrower - 20

Hello hello! I apologize for the long delay between posts, but it's been a crazy month and I've honestly just not had the time or mindset to upload photos and updates like I would like.

That being said, since my last update I have pulled 2 WQ males and I lost a WQ female due to a main stem strangulation. ( had a support piece that I forgot to loosen and caused some rot around stem) I was unable to save her or the subsequent clones I tried to salvage. This left me with 3 viable plants. 1 White Queen 2 White Widow. Although not ideal to loose the other female, I believe that it was beneficial due to current spacing issues and grow methods.

I am currently 2 1/2 weeks into 12/12 now. The Queen hit her stretch almost immediately after the switch as you can see from the upcoming photos and the Widow is currently about 4 days into her stretch I believe. The widow is a full week or so behind the Queen in growth it seems. This worries me because I had planned putting them all in the dark the last couple weeks of flower/flush.

I also move the whole setup to a spare bathroom with ventilation already installed.

Sorry for the sideways photos. I will try and do better but I have no internet access other than my phone right now and I just wanted to show some photos quickly to get some opinions if things look as good as I think they do. I feel like a proud parent who's children can do no wrong. I need outside unbiased opinions if things look good and on the right track

Re: ZombieHunter's Hydro Grow Journal - White Queen & White Widow - GH EcoGrower - 20

Hope all is well in your world.

Is your grow still alive?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom