Mad Cow Disease! An opportunity for legalizing cannabis

Storm Crow

420 Member
Are you willing to be an activist? Do a little (easy) work to help get cannabis legal? This news article, or ones like it, will be soon be showing up in your local online paper.

Mad cow case confirmed in California | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

Horrible as that headline is, this could be a golden opportunity for cannabis activists! I have translated an abstract of a study that shows that the #2 chemical in cannabis, cannabidiol (CBD), slows diseases like Mad Cow Disease!

Please comment in your local news. Tell the people what cannabis can do, besides get you high!
Once the medical facts are known, the need for legalization becomes obvious!

Nonpsychoactive Cannabidiol Prevents Prion Accumulation and Protects Neurons against Prion Toxicity

(full - 2007) Nonpsychoactive Cannabidiol Prevents Prion Accumulation and Protects Neurons against Prion Toxicity

Prion diseases are transmissible neurodegenerative disorders characterized by the accumulation in the CNS of the protease-resistant prion protein (PrPres), a structurally misfolded isoform of its physiological counterpart PrPsen.

Prion diseases are catchable, nerve and brain-destroying illnesses that are caused by a twisted, mutated form of a naturally found protein.

Both neuropathogenesis and prion infectivity are related to PrPres formation.

Both the destruction of neurons and actually getting a prion disease, like Mad Cow Disease (MCD) are caused by the multiplying of prions.

Here, we report that the nonpsychoactive cannabis constituent cannabidiol (CBD) inhibited PrPres accumulation in both mouse and sheep scrapie-infected cells, whereas other structurally related cannabinoid analogs were either weak inhibitors or noninhibitory.

Here we report that cannabidiol (CBD), a chemical that CAN’T get you high even though it is found in marijuana, slowed down the accumulation of prions in cells infected with the mouse and sheep versions of Mad Cow Disease, but the other cannabinoids just didn’t work, or barely worked.

Moreover, after intraperitoneal infection with murine scrapie, peripheral injection of CBD limited cerebral accumulation of PrPres and significantly increased the survival time of infected mice.

Also, when we infected mice with mouse MCD, we gave them some injections of CBD and this cut down on the number of prions in their brains and significantly increased their lifespans!

Mechanistically, CBD did not appear to inhibit PrPres accumulation via direct interactions with PrP, destabilization of PrPres aggregates, or alteration of the expression level or subcellular localization of PrPsen.

CBD didn’t stop the accumulation of prions in any of the ways that we expected it to work!

However, CBD did inhibit the neurotoxic effects of PrPres and affected PrPres-induced microglial cell migration in a concentration-dependent manner.

But somehow, CBD is stopping the brain cells from dying due to the poisonous effects of the prions and affects the migration of “clean-up crew” microglial cells to the affected areas – heavier doses worked better!

Our results suggest that CBD may protect neurons against the multiple molecular and cellular factors involved in the different steps of the neurodegenerative process, which takes place during prion infection.

Our results show that CBD protects the nerve and brain cells against various factors that cause the death of brain cells and nerves that occurs when Mad Cow Disease strikes!

When combined with its ability to target the brain and its lack of toxic side effects, CBD may represent a promising new anti-prion drug.

When combined with its ability to get into the brain (when many drugs can’t), and its lack of toxic side effects (translation- it won’t get you high or kill you), CBD may be our best bet for a safe, anti- prion medicine!

More articles about CBD vs Mad Cow Disease-

Recent News: Marijuana (Cannabis) May Prevent Mad Cow Disease
(news - 2007) Mad Cow Disease Facts, News, and Humor - EvilMamaCow Homepage

Cannabidiol May be Effective in Preventing Bovine Spongiforme Enzephalopathy (Mad Cow Disease) (news - 2007) AAMC: Cannabidiol may be effective in preventing bovine spongiforme enzephalopathy (mad cow disease)

Pot Compound Protective Against ‘Mad Cow’ Disease, Other Fatal Brain Disorders, Study Says (news - 2007) Pot Compound Protective Against

Pot smoking could stop Mad Cow Disease? (news - 2008)
Pot smoking could stop Mad Cow Disease? | ChattahBox News Blog

There is no cure for Mad Cow Disease. It is 100% fatal. You get it by eating infected meat, but the symptoms don’t show up for YEARS! CNN is showing video of a young woman dying of MCD- it is not pretty to watch.

If injections of CBD slow the prions in a dose related manner, does this mean that HUGE doses of CBD could STOP the prions completely? (You can't say "kill" since they are not really "alive") Could people infected with MCD live normal lives with CBD therapy and not deteriorate into mindless, dying, cripples?

Nobody knows, because research with natural cannabis is all but forbidden. I for one, do not wish to have our researchers wait until we have a MCD epidemic on our hands (like we did with AIDS). Let's get cannabis legal by educating everyone about what it does!

Granny :hippy:

I was just diagnosed with encephalopathy, with a Peripheral Neuropathy specification. I've heard it called a "mad cow in people" many times. It feels like it. It feels like something is eating holes in my brain. I just had an MRI/MRA contrast done and I'll be getting those results soon, then I'll know what the Peripheral Neuropathy is affecting, I suppose. If you have any information on this, if it's still open, I'd love to be involved. My liver is failing and my doctors have me on a cocktail of medications, including narcotics. If I could just smoke marijuana instead of taking all of those pills (about 20 a day), then my quality of life would improve tremendously. And extend it. That's what caught my interest, actually. I'm a huge believer that Cannabis slows the abnormal cell growth in my body (it's kept a colon tumor benign for a while) as well as the speed of the degeneration of my muscles, bones, joints, mind and organs. I really need help with this and really want to help further any medical studies regarding marijuana that I can before I die.

Hon, I am so sorry to say that after that one promising study NOTHING further has been done about CBD and prion diseases. And more bad news, most "smoking cannabis" is very low in CBD, but strains with CBD are being sold now. Does your area have "ditch weed", feral cannabis? It is often much higher in CBD than "smoking cannabis".

The CBD also slows colon cancer-

Chemopreventive effect of the non-psychotropic phytocannabinoid cannabidiol on experimental colon cancer. (abst – 2012) Chemopreventive effect of the non-psychotro... [J Mol Med (Berl). 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Are you taking your Omega 3? It is essential to make CB receptors! Without Omega 3, the new receptors are "duds"- the G i/o effector protein doesn't get attached. You end up with something like a speaker with a loose wire! The dud receptor does not send its message into the cell like it should!

Colon cancer is preceded by a drop in the number of working CB1 receptors! You need the Omega 3 to keep your endocannabinoid system working properly! I suspect that the "average American diet" is what set off your colon problems! It is very low in Omega 3! You need to buy some fish oil, flax seed oil or hemp seed oil- all have Omega 3 in them!

Turned-Off Cannabinoid Receptor Turns On Colorectal Tumor Growth (news - 2008)
Turned-off Cannabinoid Receptor Turns On Colorectal Tumor Growth

I wish there was more I could do for you, hon!

Woooow! I figured that there wasn't much that I would be able to do with this right now, but I am so stoked that I at least found this information! And yes, my area is actually plentiful with ditch weed. I actually didn't even catch the part about exactly what CBD was, so after I went through and read your post again I caught on.

That explains why that type of weed works more for me now. I'm really super sensitive to how my body reacts to everything. I have been noticing the past couple years, as most of the degeneration has occurred, that the weed that made my body feel best does tend to be outdoor grown. The Gulf Coast area is pretty much the perfect growing environment, although the government refuses to allow even help growth...

I am very excited to hear about the Omega 3! I have been taking strong multivitamins, and I knew I needed another supplement but I didn't know what. I used to eat very well but when I got out on my own, I couldn't afford to eat healthy anymore. When I was a vegetarian I was much more conscious of making sure my body was getting what it needed. Since I had to start eating meat again I've felt worse and worse. That's when those problems really started flaring up. I just couldn't pinpoint what it was. I tried B-12, because that's the main deficiency I have, but I've been having a lot of joint pain lately and it does make sense that I probably do need to incorporate those good fats in my diet. I am left feeling tired, achy and sluggish. I'll pick some up next time I go out!

I really appreciate all your help! I'm just trying to use what could have ruined my life into something good. I know I can, and the more hard evidence from reputable sources that I can find, the better I can educate myself and those around me with my story!

Much love and peace!

I'm glad I could help, even in a small way!

You need to eat wild salmon- it has Omega 3 in it. The farmed salmon has far less than the wild.

If you must eat beef, get grass-fed beef! It is less likely to be filled with antibiotics and hormones and grass has a trace of Omega 3 in it- the cattle concentrate it. Feed lot beef is raised on corn which has almost ZERO Omega 3. Being crowded stresses the heck out of them and so they get dosed with antibiotics, hormones and various supplements!

These will fill you in and help you pick your cooking oils-

O-6 vs. O-3 ratio
Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratio - Discover the Shocking Reality That Ruins Your Health More than You Think! - Free Online Library

Good Oils and Fatty Substances Good Oil Information

Diet affects folks WAY more than most realize! And the "average American diet" is a disaster! We eat too much meat, fats/oils, sugars and "refined" grains- too little fiber, complex carbs, raw foods and Omega 3! Since you have done the "vegetarian trip" and did some reading, I am sure that you understand this.

I am hoping you will be the first to beat this thing! :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom