Tennessee members let's chat

wildbill38

How come the south is always last on anything?
California was the first state to reconize marijauana
as medicine, I knew it was medicine the first time
I tried it. I cant say how old I was but I was younger
than i am now. (51).
If you live in TN look up who your congress is
and call, email, tweet, post on facebook
what ever you can. Lets stand up for our rightful rights.
We can make a change if we all work with each other.
Please reply and comment from anywhere you may be.
Lets get it moving faster than it has in the past.
Thank you for reading.

This is how low and dumb the leaders of this state is.
Thank you for contacting me regarding the legalization of cannabis. As a nurse for more than 40 years I understand the long term effects of marijuana which include short-term memory impairment and difficulty to learn; impaired lung function similar to that found in cigarette smokers which can lead to more serious effects, such as cancer and other lung disease; and impaired immune response among other issues.

I cannot, in good faith, support legislation to legalize cannabis or other illicit drugs. With the national debt at more than $16 trillion .7 and nearly 23 million Americans still struggling for work , I am focused on working with my fellow representatives to develop policies that will reverse these trends to create jobs and lower the national debt.

Sincerely,

Diane Black
Member of Congress

This is how low and dumb the leaders of this state is.

I am not from Tennessee, but please consider this my contribution to your plight.

Dear Dianne:

I will take you at your word. You are interested in creating jobs for Tennesseans and I am also supportive of this goal.

So please leave your outdated biases based on the Reefer Madness movie behind for just a minute and consider these FACTS.

If Tennessee was the first state to fully legalize marijuana, hemp would be a boon to our farming population - thus creating jobs. Hemp can be turned into paper, pharmaceuticals, cloth, and many other products. Hemp can also be double cropped in Tennessee and provided to ethanol factories for the generation of energy from renewable resources. Are you supportive of Tennessee being energy independent? Can you imagine all the jobs from legalizing Hemp?

And let's talk, in particular, about pharmaceuticals. As an official elected representative of this state, you do realize that Nashville has some of the finest medical research facilities in the country. If they are allowed to create and patent new medications based off of marijuana - think of the jobs that will be generated. We will be using one of our natural talents (medical research) to provide natural remedies for the entire world.

It would be a boon to our tourism industry - thus creating jobs. There would be 1,000s of dispensaries opening up - each of which needs to be manned by employees. Yep, more jobs. All of these jobs will generate tax dollars directly to the State of Tennessee. It will mean that we have lower unemployment. It will free up money to hire more teachers, firemen, and police. Again, more jobs.

The other bonus is that law enforcement will no longer spend valuable dollars chasing small time marijuana users. It will free up time in the court systems so that serious offenses can actually be heard within a reasonable time. That is one of your duties - to ensure speedy trials for citizens of Tennessee. This goal is hardly met by enforcing outdated laws which do not even enjoy majority support at this point in time. Why do you wish to clog the court system with these petty offenses?

People will start cultivating marijuana and needing equipment - so Grow Shops will start to open up around the state. Wow, more jobs. More sales tax revenue.

In support of your goal of creating jobs in the short term, I expect your support in legalizing hemp and marijuana in our fine state.

Thank you for your response,

GreatLife4All

Hey WildBill,
Just noticed your thread and wanted to drop in for a shout out. Not from TN but a neighboring state (think Hogs). I agree that thinking does seem to be less progressive in the southern states than elsewhere and I too find it frustrating. Medical Cannabis legalization was only narrowly defeated in my state during the general elections and is eagerly anticipated to be on the ballot again in 2014. Perhaps once one (any one really) of the southern tier states passes some version of legislation allowing it, the others will follow. In the meantime, I have volunteered (no pun intended with you being from TN and all) to gather signatures for the ballot initiative (we are an electorate initiative state) to be certified for placement on the ballot. Perhaps you could learn of any similar ongoing actions/efforts in your neck of the woods and volunteer as well.

Be well and thanks for all your contributions here on the site. Together we can make great things happen - even if only one small step at a time.

Tennessee: Medical Marijuana Legislation To Be Reintroduced

Representative Sherry Jones Todd intends to reintroduce legislation to protect patients who engage in physician authorized marijuana therapy.

According to a December 2012 CBS News nationwide telephone poll of 1,100 adults, 83 percent of Americans favor allowing doctors to authorize specified amounts of marijuana for patients suffering from serious illnesses.

Since 1996, eighteen states and the District of Columbia have approved legislation allowing for the use of cannabis therapy by qualified patients.

NORML will continue to update you in the coming weeks as this proposal moves forward.
Tennessee: Medical Marijuana Legislation To Be Reintroduced

IMO it really don't matter. If it goes legal everywhere then how are the people who can't get jobs gonna survive?? Good to be legal cause it's at your local store but honestly it's gonna have some people starving!!

COOKEVILLE, Tenn. – Tennessee Tech could soon become only the second university in the entire country allowed to grow pot for medical research.

Governor Bill Haslam is expected to sign a bill that would allow a four-year study of medical marijuana and its treatment of epileptic seizures, and Tennessee Tech University has been chosen to grow the pot for the study.

“It’s very insightful for the legislature to take this stance,” said Philip Oldham, Tennessee Tech University president. “It’s in a very moderated, controlled kind of way.”

The university was chosen to grow the marijuana because of its high-profile agriculture program, though it's not clear exactly where it would be grown or what security measures would have to be put in place.

The research would specifically focus on cannabis oil and its role in preventing epileptic seizures.

Under the law, the cannabis oil extracted from the plant must have a low amount of THC -- the active ingredient in marijuana. Under the plan, Tennessee Tech would only grow the marijuana and produce the cannabis oil.

That oil would then be taken to places like Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville, where the research with epilepsy would be done.

Once the governor signs the bill, the law would go into effect in July; however, Tennessee Tech would still have to get FDA and DEA approval to grow the low-potency marijuana.

Years go by and the ignorant still rule in Nashville! The private prisons bulge ,soaking up tax dollars while paying only $10 per hour for guards to man them. Our legislatures job initiative is more starvation wage jobs guarding our neighbors in these American Gulags/warehouses for humans, ran for big profits by the wealthy elite political contributors of the Governor and the legislators. These people (our "representatives")allow the Brown Shirts of the State police and the local police goons to prey on citizens, filling these hell holes, with wide spread random search and seizure, confiscation of assets and harsh courts and judges. They run the drug enforcement program like a cash register to supply them with funds for better equipment, pay increases, bonuses, "seminars"(read vacation parties), weapons and etc.. They use listening devices, drones, SUV'S, helicopters, airplanes, infrared, you name it , to spy on citizens at random "fishing for victims! If they stop you and you do not consent to a search, they will hold you until they get a rubber stamp from a local judge. If they then do not find any drugs they still may have your vehicle towed for closer inspection because of your suspicious action of denying them immediate permission to search. If nothing appears in your vehicle (often it might be planted) you still may have to go to court,sometimes for years to get your vehicle back, as they are not required to automatically in Tennessee. If you had a wad of cash on you they would of taken that for sure, and likewise you will never see it again! If they searched your property because of a few stray seeds sprouted a small group of straggly male hemp plants, by a ditch crossing your property, you may loose your home as well as your liberty. They weigh the entire plants roots and all and if it amounts to more then a few ounces you may serve 5 (or many more) years in prison. If you have children they well may be taken and made wards of the state, placed in foster care or institutionalized. All this hate, fear and ignorance over a God given natural herbal medicine/relaxant in wide spread use for thousands of years by mankind. Alcohol directly responsible for thousands of deaths annually, sugar a leading abused substance responsible for a myriad of public health problems, aspirin more toxic than cannabis , tobacco still sold in every neighborhood store, but terrorize, cage, destroy families, ruin lives even kill people over a plant that has been proven to be helpful, relatively safe and only a mild intoxicant! How disgusting!:trance: Please forgive my ranting on this! I so hoped that before I got this old and tired I would not still be a victim of official repression and terrorism in my home state!

If legalization was implemented to benefit the poor instead of the wealthy, it could be better than it is currently in the "free states" that have already legalized in some form. If commercial production was somewhat modeled off the old tobacco allotment program it could relieve poverty in rural communities across the nation. The old tobacco allotment system was unfair, in that the wealthy /big farmers got bigger allotments, But thousands of poor families relied on the cash from their small allotment to survive well. If commercial production was kept within strict allotments kept small, say $30,000 value per year, it could benefit tens of thousands of families, and relieve the taxpayers of more welfare cost. Wealthy persons/big AG should be excluded from commercial crop production allowing only the poor and lower end of the working class to benefit. Maybe cutting allotments for commercial production off for persons/families with incomes that exceed the poverty level by 250% or more before any allotment earnings. All persons should be allowed to grow for their own use up to a generous amount of plants (6-12?) but only those with commercial license and allotments allowed to sale crops for wholesale/retail taxed sales stock. Imagine , the ripple effect from tens of thousands of families removed from the welfare roles and many could prosper since like the tobacco allotments of old , families could work together to produce it and manage to practice small farming, as well.:rollit:
IMO it really don't matter. If it goes legal everywhere then how are the people who can't get jobs gonna survive?? Good to be legal cause it's at your local store but honestly it's gonna have some people starving!!

Back
Top Bottom