Florida State to Legalize Medicinal MJ

OlderStoner

It was only a baby step to be sure, but it was at least a step in the right direction. Governor Rick Scott signed the bill into law late Monday night. It's highly restrictive but at least some people will be helped by its passing. The election this November has the real referendum..and that will be yet another step in the right direction. Polls show that 90% of the state's population is in favor of legalization.

This was fantastic to read!!! I know in central Florida, New Symrna and Flagler have begun regulating where it can be grown and sold. Apparently wanting to keep it out of touristy areas. Seeing as I am in Daytona, I might have gotten the S#@& and of the stick!

Absolutes, please tell me more about where you read this. I have only seen that they have agreed not to criminally charge anyone who is truly ill with cancer or epilepsy and they can only use the Charlotte's Web strain which does not have the intoxicating properties your average stoner is looking for. At this point, Florida is "getting only a little bit pregnant" with this issue. I think the election in November is going to be a big surprise for lots of people. Once that happens is will again only be a baby step and you'll find that getting buds for pain relief might be possible, but it will still be difficult. I predict it will be 3-5 years before Florida lets go like California is now with regards to medicinal MJ and even longer before they go the way of Colorado and Washington state. As the old saying goes, "As long as those Baptist can stager to the voting booth, this county will stay dry."

BTW - I tried to post the link to that article, but I can only assume that this forum prohibits links of that nature.

I just saw a quick piece on the news about it 2-3 weeks ago. That some counties were setting up guidelines as to where it can be sold/grown. They were saying the main goal was to keep it out of popular tourist areas because they are worried about Florida becoming a "Cannabis dedtinstion" or some crap like that. They didn't go in depth, seems like every time something cannabis related pops up on the news they talk about it for 20 seconds before a 10 minute piece on cute cats or something unimportant

I found the full amendment online, but was unable to read it on my phone. Im willing to bet that will shed more light on the situation. If you Google "Florida Medical Marijuana Bill" there's a website called Ballotpedia or... something along those lines. Ahhhh screw it I'll try to pull it up again.
Okay here we go

Florida Right to Medical Marijuana Initiative, Amendment 2 (2014) - Ballotpedia

From reading a little on that page, it seems like we would have medicinal marijuana like most other states. But again I am not totally sure because I couldn't read the ACTUAL amendment

There is a click able link that says like "view full amendment here" or something. Hope it can give you a little more insight. When I get on a computer I will look more into it

What I am expecting from reading the first few paragraphs, is the ability to get a medicinal card through a doctor.. "can legally purchase medical marijuana for certain debilitating illness as determined by a physician".. and from what I heard on the news certain counties are planning guidelines for where it can be sold/grown/smoked. Plans for dispensaries were mentioned... either something about them being close to the highways or keeping them away from the highways.. I really wish I could remember properly lol.

So I'm assuming if you are able to get a medicinal card there will be access to medicinal marijuana.

Jan 1st they can start writing perscriptioms for cannabis oil... if the vote goes well in November then I thinking would be the same for the medicinal marijuana amendment. I don't know why else they would start planning dispensaries and grow sites so soon

And in reference to your second post... there's two different bills. Charlotte's web laws have already been passed and begin Jan 1st. That is the use of cannabis oil with SERIOUS illness, I believe the law pertains to children. Charlotte's web laws allow use of low cbd strains. Harlequin, Ac/DC, Charlottes web, etc.

The law being voted on in November is for medicinal cannabis for everyone else. Doctors will be able to give you a card for the wide range of things, like in other states

Hahah yes that is exactly what I meant. I meant to put Low THC and put Low CBD and then listed CBD strains -.- I need to not medicate and post lol.

Also, I just laughed so hard at your name.
Currently putting Grandmas boy in, you just made my night hahah

As for keeping it out popular tourist areas, well one only has to take a hike down in SoBe on just about any night. It's out there already it's just not sold in public shops. I applaud the intent and the goals to keep it away from schools, etc... but c'mon. Keeping it out of tourist areas...who are these lawmakers trying to kid....only themselves. As for me, I'd just like to know when I will be able to grow my own and not worry about LE busting my door down.

I have friends in California who've been buying it semi-legally for years now. And as I understand it, with the medical MJ legislation there are allowances for personal users to grow up to 6 plants at any given time. That's more than enough to keep me happy. So I'll be there in the voting booth come this November. And thanks for the useful information. I'll bet that similar conversations are going on right now in many other states as well.

Yes, 11 states currently have these laws pending or are being talked about.

As for plant amounts, it can be more than 6 or less than six depending on the state... from what I understand at least. Quantity of plants hanges state to state just like possession amounts change state to state. Again.. this is just what I have been led to believe lol. I could be wrong.

But I agree, it will be great to not have to worry.

What makes me sick is how LITTLE this is being talked about! Like I mentioned earlier, even when it finally IS on the news its only for 10 seconds and they don't give any valuable information

So far most the people I've talked to ad no idea the MMJ ballot is in November. I just really hope word spreads more as we get closer

The word is out in my side of town! Im in central fla. We need to get ready for right after it gets passed. We need this law amended, and the only way to do that is vote. We need personal grows! I know enough of the older people and low income people will come out and complain they cant get their meds because of the distance and lack of resources for low income. I cant wait for that stage of the game because that is when the real fun begins.

:tokin:

As someone who had to stop smoking weed .... again .... to pas a damn UA for a job, and now that I'm older than what I once was, I can tell you first hand that a nightly toke or two sure helps relieve joint pain and stiffness. Call it whatever you want, but I stopped smoking and the pain went from once a week to daily and it increased in intensity. Once the UA was over and I've been hitting my bullet each night before going to sleep, well let's just say I'm a true believer. There is something in this thing called cannabis sativa that relieves pain. And it's far less dangerous than those damn prescription pills like Hydrocodone and the others I've tried.

The election is now only about 2 months away, 60 days. And as for what we can do after it passes. I've seen some billboards in the area advertising to get in on it now. I assume these are mostly for seminars where they tell you how easy it's going to be to get rich selling medicinal cannabis, but only if you pay them $6K for a three day seminar where they will tell you what they know about the topic. And what they know may not be what you need to know. I remember when the Internet first started in 1994 and these scammers came out in droves selling their cookie cutter websites for $6K per package. It's all going to be the same thing. I have no doubt that the State is going to make it very difficult to get into the business of selling cannabis. Growing it will also be a touchy subject too open to interpretation between the growers and the enforcers. And for the beginning, you almost have to have one foot in the grave before they will let you get a prescription for the use of it for pain management. It's gotta start somewhere though. I will be at the polls in November voting not only for this ballot but for those politicians who have been supporting it.

^^ Well said. Just wondering have you seen room 217? Its about the movie jack is in. Love the movie. Really love the different povs about it too. I will be at the pools as well. If you haven't seen rm 217, do so! Its good.

Back
Top Bottom