The case to remove cannabis from the drug schedules completely

whiteraven86

The Case to remove cannabis from drug schedules completely
Cannabis is currently in Schedule I.
Substances in this schedule have no currently accepted medical use in the United States, a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and a high potential for abuse.
Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence.
Some present examples of Schedule I drugs are:
Heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote
Argument against this classification:
1.Safety–there has never been a recorded death from an "overdose" of cannabis regardless of how it is ingested. This is true whether a person uses marijuana under the supervision of a doctor or without any medical supervision of any kind. I would suggest that this alone completely invalidates the safety requirement contained in the schedule I definition. Even over the counter aspirin is more dangerous as hundreds of people die each year form stomach bleeding when too much is taken. Many of the drugs listed in schedule II and even schedule III are significantly more dangerous than cannabis when abused.
2. Number of American deaths PER YEAR that result directly or primarily from the following selected causes nationwide, per World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon Generals' reports.
TOBACCO - 340,000 to 450,000
ALCOHOL (Not including 50% of all highway deaths and 65% of all murders) - 150,000+
ASPIRIN (Including deliberate overdose) - 180 to 1,000+
CAFFEINE (From stress, ulcers, and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.) - 1,000 to 10,000"LEGAL" DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from legal, prescribed or patent medicines and/or mixing with alcohol - e.g. Valium/alcohol - 14,000 to 27,000
ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE - (Deliberate or accidental) from all illegal drugs - 3,800 to 5,200
MARIJUANA - 0

3. Medical use–THERE ARE established and legitimate Medical uses for cannabis. Among them are eye pressure relief for Glaucoma sufferers, relief for chronic pain, appetite enhancement for AIDS and cancer patients, anti-seizure treatment, muscle relaxant and as a sleep aid.
Numerous studies have been conducted and documented such as the report titled "700 MEDICINAL USES OF CANNABIS SORTED BY DISEASE"
The argument that cannabis does not have any "currently accepted medical use" is false. The documented Medical uses are not "currently accepted" by some divisions of government because of financial or political pressure by several groups. (More in this regard to follow)
In a sweeping study, The National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine have concluded that cannabis does have legitimate medicinal value, but more research is required to determine the potential health risks, according to an Ars Technica report outlining the details.
In their 400-page analysis, researchers determined that cannabis and cannabinoids were effective in treating chronic pain and for chemotherapy-related vomiting and nausea in cancer patients, but observed that much more research is needed in order to determine the efficacy of its use as it relates to other conditions. In the past the federal government has made it almost impossible to conduct research into the medical uses of cannabis.
From the American Cancer Society:
More recently, scientists reported that THC and other cannabinoids such as CBD slow the growth and/or cause death in certain types of cancer cells growing in laboratory dishes. Some animal studies also suggest certain cannabinoids may slow growth and reduce spread of some forms of cancer.
If or when unfettered research into cannabis is allowed and cannabis is found to be effective in treating cancer, there will be a huge backlash against government by those who have lost loved ones because of the anti-cannabis policies of government and or pharmaceutical companies that have strangled cannabis research in the past.
4. Psychological or physical dependence-- Marijuana Addiction Is "RARE", but Very Real, Written by R. Sam Barclay, Published on August 9, 2016
"Most people can use marijuana without becoming addicted. But for users with vulnerabilities like stress, mental illness, or a genetic predisposition, the risk of dependence is real."
There are many studies that have found that cannabis is much less addictive than even drugs listed in Schedule II. I do not see how cannabis can meet the criteria of having potentially severe psychological or physical dependence.
Only about 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become abusers, per a study endorsed by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). That IS NOT a high potential for abuse.

Neither Alcohol or Tobacco are even listed in the drug schedules. Both are Highly addictive and together cause approximately 490,000 times more deaths per year than cannabis per World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon General's' reports.

Cannabis, violence, and the Second Amendment–
The ATF specifically has stated, "any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition." Their justification is entirely dependent on cannabis being listed as a schedule I narcotic. There is no justification linked to cannabis causing violence except in drug wars for territory.
Marijuana violence?
Alcohol use contributes to aggressive and violent behavior. Marijuana use does not. Studies have repeatedly shown that alcohol, unlike marijuana, contributes to the likelihood of aggressive and violent behavior. An article published in the Journal of Addictive Behaviors reported that "alcohol is clearly the drug with the most evidence to support a direct intoxication-violence relationship," whereas "cannabis reduces the likelihood of violence during intoxication."
- Alcohol use is a major factor in violent crimes. Marijuana use is not. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism estimates that 25-30% of violent crimes in the United States are linked to the use of alcohol. According to a report from the U.S. Dept. of Justice, that translates to about 5,000,000 alcohol-related violent crimes per year. By contrast, the government does not even track violent acts specifically related to marijuana use, as the use of marijuana has not been associated with violence. (Of course, we should note that marijuana prohibition, by creating a widespread criminal market, is associated with acts of violence.)
- Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic abuse and sexual assault. Marijuana use does not. Alcohol is a major contributing factor in the prevalence of domestic violence and sexual assault. This is not to say that alcohol causes these problems; rather, its use makes it more likely that an individual prone to such behavior will act on it. For example, a study conducted by the Research Institute on Addictions found that among individuals who were chronic partner abusers, the use of alcohol was associated with significant increases in the daily likelihood of male-to-female physical aggression, but the use of marijuana was not. Specifically, the odds of abuse were eight times higher on days when men were drinking; the odds of severe abuse were 11 times higher. According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) website highlights alcohol as the "most commonly used chemical in crimes of sexual assault" and provides information on an array of other drugs that have been linked to sexual violence. Given the fact that marijuana is so accessible and widely used, it is quite telling that the word "marijuana" does not appear anywhere on the page.
The archives at SSRI Stories list mass shootings at schools, suicides and other violent acts linked directly to the prescribing SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs. The side effects of SSRI are listed as homicidal ideation, suicidal ideation, breaks from reality, and fantasies. People prescribed SSRI drugs retain their Second Amendment Rights.
Why is cannabis still in Schedule I?
One reason is the pharmaceutical industry. A study, which appears in Health Affairs found that states that legalized medical marijuana – which is sometimes recommended for symptoms like chronic pain, anxiety, or depression – saw declines of over 20% in the number of Medicare prescriptions for drugs used to treat those conditions and a dip in spending by Medicare Part D, which covers the cost of prescription medications. Decreased demand for these types of prescriptions is one cause why pharmaceutical companies lobby aggressively and pour millions into political campaigns for cannabis to remain illegal.
It should also be noted that prescription pain medicine deaths have dropped 25% in states that allow medical cannabis. This study by co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore. "The shift showed up quite quickly and became visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek."
With the egregious effects of prescription opioid dependence and deaths, this report by itself should be a legitimate reason to take cannabis completely out of the drug schedules.
Even industrial hemp was outlawed. The cotton industry and all its peripheral industries such as herbicide and pesticide producers, and cotton equipment processing machinery companies are threatened by the prospect of hemp cutting into their profits.
The beer, wine, and liquor industries lobby against it being removed from Schedule I because Some states that have legalized the recreational use of cannabis have seen beer sales drop over four percent. A 4% drop in sales is a very strong incentive for alcohol related industries to strongly oppose any type of legalized cannabis use.
Many in the criminal Justice system lobby to keep it in Schedule I. Law enforcement uses asset forfeiture egregiously in many cases pointing to Cannabis being in Schedule I as justification. If law enforcement has a financial benefit due to asset forfeiture, how can anyone claim that enforcement is blindfolded like Lady Justice? Asset forfeiture does not require a conviction or even those charges be filed. Montana and New Mexico recently required that there must be a conviction before assets can be seized, at least at the state level
Justice Clarence Thomas from offering an opinion on the matter. see: "Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Asset Forfeiture: "This System has led to egregious and well-chronicled abuses!"
"This system – where police can seize property with limited judicial oversight and retain it for their own use – has led to egregious and well-chronicled abuses," wrote Thomas. "I am skeptical that this historical practice is capable of sustaining, as a constitutional matter, the contours of modern practice."
Former DEA Spokeswoman: Marijuana is Safe and The DEA Knows It:
Quotes from Belita Nelson, former DEA spokesperson, who was formerly a chief spoke person for the DEA:
"Marijuana is safe, we know it is safe. It's our cash cow and we will never give up," Belita Nelson told an audience of doctors and nurses at the Marijuana for Medical Professionals Conference in Denver, Colorado a short time ago.
Nelson says that was the first thing she learned from her Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) education coordinator, Paul Villaescusa, when she was hired in the Dallas office in April 1998.
She states that the DEA made the mistake of not having her sign a non-disclosure contract when she was hired.
Nelson states that when she began to expose the truth the DEA tried to keep her quiet and told her. "name your price, $10,000 a month? $20,000? What do you want Belita?"
"Gradually, I came out of my shell and that dark place I had been because of what I had experienced and what I had seen... If you think the DEA are the good guys, they are not. They are really not. We are talking corruption on steroids."
Read more at #illegallyhealed
If Belita Nelson is correct, I believe an in depth investigation of the DEA and its policies concerning cannabis is in order.
In addition to the above there are many current and retired members of the criminal justice system that feel the "War on Drugs" is a failure. Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) is comprised of current and retired members from every segment of the criminal justice system.
LEAP is now, "LawEnforcementActionPartnership.org"
Government funded studies that contradict placing cannabis in Schedule I.

1. 1860, Ohio State Medical Society, first U.S. government study of Cannabis.
2. Late 1894, British Official Indian Hemp Commission:
3. 1970s, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Jamaica study:
4. 1970s, NIDA studies in Greece and Costa Rica:
5. 1944, La Guardia Report:
6. 1968, Wooten Report by the British Parliament:
7. 1972, Shafer Commission Report under Nixon administration:
8. Mar. 1, 2011 European Journal of Neurology
9. Aug. 30, 2010 Canadian Medical Association Journal
SO WHY SHOULD STATES THAT HAVE VOTED TO LEGALIZE CANNABIS BE LEFT ALONE BY THE FEDS?
1. Legal cannabis will be tested for contaminates
2. Black market/drug cartel cannabis is not tested
3. The legal cannabis industry will pay fees and taxes to local and state governments
4. Black market/ drug cartel profits only enrich the criminal element and violence
5. Legal cannabis will severely decrease black market. Drug cartel profits
6. The legal cannabis industry will provide well-paying jobs.
7. A professional cannabis trimmer can make $20/hour
8. 71 percent of Americas think marijuana policy should be dictated by the states
9. At present those in the cannabis industry cannot use traditional financial services creating a situation where large sums of cash are not accounted for, creating an atmosphere where corruption and criminality can flourish.

The only way to ultimately solve ALL the problems associated with federal regulations concerning cannabis is to completely remove it from the narcotic schedules it altogether. I am a veteran of 28+ years as a Deputy Sheriff in Los Angeles County and now a Medical cannabis recommendation holder for approx. 8 years. I am also a member of Law Enforcement Action Partnership.
If you agree with the information contained in this article, copy it and send it to everyone of your elected officials at every level.

This has some brilliant information, but I had just a small gripe. It's not layed out or formatted very well. Adding some more empty spaces, italics or bold, etc would make it much easier to read.

Thank you for this article, this is helpful info as I work on my own narrative with my elected officials. It's one thing to write to legislators, but several of my congressman haven't even responded back to my initial letters, so I must be well informed and persistent. I will send two follow up letters this week to one Senator and a Representative promoting further communication.

Spread the word! If every Senator and Congressperson from just Medical cannabis states banded together, Congress could pass a bill removing cannabis from the drug schedules.Members of Congress might ignore one or two letters but if they begin to get hundreds they will pay attention.

The Case to remove cannabis from drug schedules completely
Cannabis is currently in Schedule I.
Substances in this schedule have no currently accepted medical use in the United States, a lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision, and a high potential for abuse.
Schedule I drugs are the most dangerous drugs of all the drug schedules with potentially severe psychological or physical dependence.
Some present examples of Schedule I drugs are:
Heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote
Argument against this classification:
1.Safety–there has never been a recorded death from an "overdose" of cannabis regardless of how it is ingested. This is true whether a person uses marijuana under the supervision of a doctor or without any medical supervision of any kind. I would suggest that this alone completely invalidates the safety requirement contained in the schedule I definition. Even over the counter aspirin is more dangerous as hundreds of people die each year form stomach bleeding when too much is taken. Many of the drugs listed in schedule II and even schedule III are significantly more dangerous than cannabis when abused.
2. Number of American deaths PER YEAR that result directly or primarily from the following selected causes nationwide, per World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon Generals' reports.
TOBACCO - 340,000 to 450,000
ALCOHOL (Not including 50% of all highway deaths and 65% of all murders) - 150,000+
ASPIRIN (Including deliberate overdose) - 180 to 1,000+
CAFFEINE (From stress, ulcers, and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.) - 1,000 to 10,000"LEGAL" DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from legal, prescribed or patent medicines and/or mixing with alcohol - e.g. Valium/alcohol - 14,000 to 27,000
ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE - (Deliberate or accidental) from all illegal drugs - 3,800 to 5,200
MARIJUANA - 0

3. Medical use–THERE ARE established and legitimate Medical uses for cannabis. Among them are eye pressure relief for Glaucoma sufferers, relief for chronic pain, appetite enhancement for AIDS and cancer patients, anti-seizure treatment, muscle relaxant and as a sleep aid.
Numerous studies have been conducted and documented such as the report titled "700 MEDICINAL USES OF CANNABIS SORTED BY DISEASE"
The argument that cannabis does not have any "currently accepted medical use" is false. The documented Medical uses are not "currently accepted" by some divisions of government because of financial or political pressure by several groups. (More in this regard to follow)
In a sweeping study, The National Academies of Science, Engineering, and Medicine have concluded that cannabis does have legitimate medicinal value, but more research is required to determine the potential health risks, according to an Ars Technica report outlining the details.
In their 400-page analysis, researchers determined that cannabis and cannabinoids were effective in treating chronic pain and for chemotherapy-related vomiting and nausea in cancer patients, but observed that much more research is needed in order to determine the efficacy of its use as it relates to other conditions. In the past the federal government has made it almost impossible to conduct research into the medical uses of cannabis.
From the American Cancer Society:
More recently, scientists reported that THC and other cannabinoids such as CBD slow the growth and/or cause death in certain types of cancer cells growing in laboratory dishes. Some animal studies also suggest certain cannabinoids may slow growth and reduce spread of some forms of cancer.
If or when unfettered research into cannabis is allowed and cannabis is found to be effective in treating cancer, there will be a huge backlash against government by those who have lost loved ones because of the anti-cannabis policies of government and or pharmaceutical companies that have strangled cannabis research in the past.
4. Psychological or physical dependence-- Marijuana Addiction Is "RARE", but Very Real, Written by R. Sam Barclay, Published on August 9, 2016
"Most people can use marijuana without becoming addicted. But for users with vulnerabilities like stress, mental illness, or a genetic predisposition, the risk of dependence is real."
There are many studies that have found that cannabis is much less addictive than even drugs listed in Schedule II. I do not see how cannabis can meet the criteria of having potentially severe psychological or physical dependence.
Only about 9 percent of people who use marijuana will become abusers, per a study endorsed by the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). That IS NOT a high potential for abuse.

Neither Alcohol or Tobacco are even listed in the drug schedules. Both are Highly addictive and together cause approximately 490,000 times more deaths per year than cannabis per World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon General's' reports.

Cannabis, violence, and the Second Amendment–
The ATF specifically has stated, "any person who uses or is addicted to marijuana, regardless of whether his or her state has passed legislation authorizing marijuana use for medicinal purposes, is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance, and is prohibited by federal law from possessing firearms or ammunition." Their justification is entirely dependent on cannabis being listed as a schedule I narcotic. There is no justification linked to cannabis causing violence except in drug wars for territory.
Marijuana violence?
Alcohol use contributes to aggressive and violent behavior. Marijuana use does not. Studies have repeatedly shown that alcohol, unlike marijuana, contributes to the likelihood of aggressive and violent behavior. An article published in the Journal of Addictive Behaviors reported that "alcohol is clearly the drug with the most evidence to support a direct intoxication-violence relationship," whereas "cannabis reduces the likelihood of violence during intoxication."
- Alcohol use is a major factor in violent crimes. Marijuana use is not. The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism estimates that 25-30% of violent crimes in the United States are linked to the use of alcohol. According to a report from the U.S. Dept. of Justice, that translates to about 5,000,000 alcohol-related violent crimes per year. By contrast, the government does not even track violent acts specifically related to marijuana use, as the use of marijuana has not been associated with violence. (Of course, we should note that marijuana prohibition, by creating a widespread criminal market, is associated with acts of violence.)
- Alcohol use contributes to the likelihood of domestic abuse and sexual assault. Marijuana use does not. Alcohol is a major contributing factor in the prevalence of domestic violence and sexual assault. This is not to say that alcohol causes these problems; rather, its use makes it more likely that an individual prone to such behavior will act on it. For example, a study conducted by the Research Institute on Addictions found that among individuals who were chronic partner abusers, the use of alcohol was associated with significant increases in the daily likelihood of male-to-female physical aggression, but the use of marijuana was not. Specifically, the odds of abuse were eight times higher on days when men were drinking; the odds of severe abuse were 11 times higher. According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN) website highlights alcohol as the "most commonly used chemical in crimes of sexual assault" and provides information on an array of other drugs that have been linked to sexual violence. Given the fact that marijuana is so accessible and widely used, it is quite telling that the word "marijuana" does not appear anywhere on the page.
The archives at SSRI Stories list mass shootings at schools, suicides and other violent acts linked directly to the prescribing SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) drugs. The side effects of SSRI are listed as homicidal ideation, suicidal ideation, breaks from reality, and fantasies. People prescribed SSRI drugs retain their Second Amendment Rights.
Why is cannabis still in Schedule I?
One reason is the pharmaceutical industry. A study, which appears in Health Affairs found that states that legalized medical marijuana – which is sometimes recommended for symptoms like chronic pain, anxiety, or depression – saw declines of over 20% in the number of Medicare prescriptions for drugs used to treat those conditions and a dip in spending by Medicare Part D, which covers the cost of prescription medications. Decreased demand for these types of prescriptions is one cause why pharmaceutical companies lobby aggressively and pour millions into political campaigns for cannabis to remain illegal.
It should also be noted that prescription pain medicine deaths have dropped 25% in states that allow medical cannabis. This study by co-author Colleen Barry, a health policy researcher at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health in Baltimore. "The shift showed up quite quickly and became visible the year after medical marijuana was accepted in each state, she told Newsweek."
With the egregious effects of prescription opioid dependence and deaths, this report by itself should be a legitimate reason to take cannabis completely out of the drug schedules.
Even industrial hemp was outlawed. The cotton industry and all its peripheral industries such as herbicide and pesticide producers, and cotton equipment processing machinery companies are threatened by the prospect of hemp cutting into their profits.
The beer, wine, and liquor industries lobby against it being removed from Schedule I because Some states that have legalized the recreational use of cannabis have seen beer sales drop over four percent. A 4% drop in sales is a very strong incentive for alcohol related industries to strongly oppose any type of legalized cannabis use.
Many in the criminal Justice system lobby to keep it in Schedule I. Law enforcement uses asset forfeiture egregiously in many cases pointing to Cannabis being in Schedule I as justification. If law enforcement has a financial benefit due to asset forfeiture, how can anyone claim that enforcement is blindfolded like Lady Justice? Asset forfeiture does not require a conviction or even those charges be filed. Montana and New Mexico recently required that there must be a conviction before assets can be seized, at least at the state level
Justice Clarence Thomas from offering an opinion on the matter. see: "Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Asset Forfeiture: "This System has led to egregious and well-chronicled abuses!"
"This system – where police can seize property with limited judicial oversight and retain it for their own use – has led to egregious and well-chronicled abuses," wrote Thomas. "I am skeptical that this historical practice is capable of sustaining, as a constitutional matter, the contours of modern practice."
Former DEA Spokeswoman: Marijuana is Safe and The DEA Knows It:
Quotes from Belita Nelson, former DEA spokesperson, who was formerly a chief spoke person for the DEA:
"Marijuana is safe, we know it is safe. It's our cash cow and we will never give up," Belita Nelson told an audience of doctors and nurses at the Marijuana for Medical Professionals Conference in Denver, Colorado a short time ago.
Nelson says that was the first thing she learned from her Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) education coordinator, Paul Villaescusa, when she was hired in the Dallas office in April 1998.
She states that the DEA made the mistake of not having her sign a non-disclosure contract when she was hired.
Nelson states that when she began to expose the truth the DEA tried to keep her quiet and told her. "name your price, $10,000 a month? $20,000? What do you want Belita?"
"Gradually, I came out of my shell and that dark place I had been because of what I had experienced and what I had seen... If you think the DEA are the good guys, they are not. They are really not. We are talking corruption on steroids."
Read more at #illegallyhealed
If Belita Nelson is correct, I believe an in depth investigation of the DEA and its policies concerning cannabis is in order.
In addition to the above there are many current and retired members of the criminal justice system that feel the "War on Drugs" is a failure. Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP) is comprised of current and retired members from every segment of the criminal justice system.
LEAP is now, "LawEnforcementActionPartnership.org"
Government funded studies that contradict placing cannabis in Schedule I.

1.1860, Ohio State Medical Society, first U.S. government study of Cannabis.
2.Late 1894, British Official Indian Hemp Commission:
3.1970s, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Jamaica study:
4.1970s, NIDA studies in Greece and Costa Rica:
5.1944, La Guardia Report:
6.1968, Wooten Report by the British Parliament:
7.1972, Shafer Commission Report under Nixon administration:
8.Mar. 1, 2011 European Journal of Neurology
9.Aug. 30, 2010 Canadian Medical Association Journal
SO WHY SHOULD STATES THAT HAVE VOTED TO LEGALIZE CANNABIS BE LEFT ALONE BY THE FEDS?
1.Legal cannabis will be tested for contaminates
2.Black market/drug cartel cannabis is not tested
3.The legal cannabis industry will pay fees and taxes to local and state governments
4.Black market/ drug cartel profits only enrich the criminal element and violence
5.Legal cannabis will severely decrease black market. Drug cartel profits
6.The legal cannabis industry will provide well-paying jobs.
7.A professional cannabis trimmer can make $20/hour
8.71 percent of Americas think marijuana policy should be dictated by the states
9.At present those in the cannabis industry cannot use traditional financial services creating a situation where large sums of cash are not accounted for, creating an atmosphere where corruption and criminality can flourish.

The only way to ultimately solve ALL the problems associated with federal regulations concerning cannabis is to completely remove it from the narcotic schedules it altogether. I am a veteran of 28+ years as a Deputy Sheriff in Los Angeles County and now a Medical cannabis recommendation holder for approx. 8 years. I am also a member of Law Enforcement Action Partnership.
If you agree with the information contained in this article, copy it and send it to everyone of your elected officials at every level.
Thank you for sharing!

There is now a petition on the White House petition site To remove cannabis from the drug schedules completely.

Here is the petition site:

The White House

Help me get this petition going. Tell anyone you know that is in the cannabis industry or is a medical cannabis patient or even just a recreational user to sign the petition.

Most of us do not have the resources to fund a huge public relations campaign but if enough people sign the White House petition and then start petitions in their local areas to send to their elected officials, we can be even more effective. Grassroots activism, I believe is more effective than some professional paid for campaign because it comes directly from the people.

Remove cannabis from the drug schedules completely | We the People: Your Voice in Our Government

As far as I know yes. At last count there were 12 petitions dealing with either lowering the classification or declassifying cannabis.

The problem is interest and the actual level of engagement.
Some describe the interest in solving the classification problem as miles wide but an inch deep.
Getting enough people involved with writing, circulating petitions and pressuring congress has been very difficult.

Cover letter for declassifying cannabis (Copy and send this to your elected members of Congress)
To The Honorable _____________________
You are receiving this letter because you are a member of The House of Representatives or a Senator from a state that has legalized the medical and/or recreational use of marijuana (cannabis).
Over twenty-five states and The District of Columbia have legalized the medical use of cannabis. Four states and the District of Columbia have legalized the recreational use of cannabis.
Over the years there have been several efforts to reclassify cannabis downward to a lower level of the drug schedule. The main resistance to these efforts has been orchestrated by special interests that lobby against any rescheduling effort. These special interests are major contributors to political campaigns and exert undue influence in the legislative process.
The attached document, “The Case to Remove Cannabis from the Drug Schedules Completely”, identifies these special interests and illuminates their often egregious reasons for opposing any reclassification of cannabis.
In a majority of the states, the people of These United States of America have spoken through either an initiative process or through their legislatures, that the federal government’s stance on cannabis is no longer logical, is not based on scientific fact, and is in direct opposition with the vast majority of the citizens of the United States. Are we a Democratic Republic or are we ruled by special interests?
The attached document points out how cannabis remaining in Schedule I actually undermines the very rights of many Americans.
The ATF has stated that anyone that uses cannabis is a dangerous narcotic user and can be denied their Second Amendment rights. The background application for buying a firearm asks, “Are you addicted to or do you use marijuana”. If you have a medical recommendation for cannabis in a state that has legalized medical Marijuana and answer yes, you are not allowed to purchase the firearm. If you answer no and you are a legal medical cannabis patient you are in violation of the law and can be fined or jailed or both. The only justification for this stance is that cannabis is in Schedule I. This is explained in detail in the attached document. Specifically, and contrary to the stance of the ATF, cannabis use has not been connected with violence.
Those who are, according to state law, legally involved in the medical cannabis industry are denied financial services available to pharmaceutical companies that manufacture and sell drugs many times more dangerous than cannabis. Those in the cannabis industry are also denied the ability to take the normal deductions for expenses when filing income tax with the IRS. Is this a violation of the Fourteenth Amendment?
Tobacco and alcohol combined, neither that are listed at all in the drug schedules, cause over 490,000 times more deaths each year in the United States than are caused by the use of cannabis. See the attached document for verification.
The logical approach to the problems created by cannabis being in Schedule I is to remove it from the drug schedule completely.
If you agree with the information contained in this article, please consider authoring, or supporting legislation in Congress to remove cannabis from the drug schedules completely.
If you are not a government official consider becoming an activist and starting you own petitions everywhere possible. Congress should be bombarded with petitions until they declassify cannabis.
At my latest count, there are twelve White House petitions, calling for the reclassification or declassification of cannabis.

This has been the problem I mentioned earlier. Interest is miles wide but only an inch deep.

It will take enough people to actually get involved in circulating petitions, and pressuring Congress with letters and phone calls to really accomplish something.
The special interests mentioned in my original post "The case to remove cannabis from the drug schedules completely" are powerful have loads of money and huge lobbying efforts.
However if you are in agreement with me. don't ever give up!!!

This has been the problem I mentioned earlier. Interest is miles wide but only an inch deep.

It will take enough people to actually get involved in circulating petitions, and pressuring Congress with letters and phone calls to really accomplish something.
The special interests mentioned in my original post "The case to remove cannabis from the drug schedules completely" are powerful have loads of money and huge lobbying efforts.
However if you are in agreement with me. don't ever give up!!!

I do agree with you, and believe me I am trying with calls to congress, etc... but it's that MOST people don't think anything they do will fix this because only the rich and powerful can. Which isn't entirely incorrect ... so what can we do to change people's hearts? Well, first off, we need a leader with real dreams... but every party, every wannabe candidate is so focused on our countries disease and short comings that they can't maneuver their hearts and souls towards the only thing that has influenced the entire world from the first day of our revolution - Freedom.

Wow, people were actually here fighting at one time but I guess as more and more states became legalized, fewer and fewer people came here and get involved? I guess people only really care about their own and forget about the federal level of things or the help needed in other states?

What ever happened to all the passionate people we used to have here? They must have all gone to wonder land or something?

Back
Top Bottom